2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
More like unrealistic expectations for a roster with sub-par talent just because they are in Brooklyn and have a crazy owner. When your second-best player is a toss-up between Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez, and Gerald Wallace, and Deron is playing gimpy, you have a problem.

Williams is a real interesting case study right now.

He's on max money for the next 4-5 years, yet his numbers are down across the board this season, and he's only shooting 40% from the field, and 29% from 3PT territory.

His numbers were much better in Sloan's Pick and Roll offense rather than Johnson's isolation motion offense.

SVG would be an ideal coach for Deron as his uses the pick and roll system on offense a fair bit, but with the Nets still holding out hope for Dwight in the off-season, he won't go there.

Nate McMillan I could see end up in Brooklyn or Brian Shaw.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
ESPN was saying the Nets are trying hard for PJax

While I can always see Phil going back to the lakers due to his relationship with Kobe and Jerry Buss, I can not see him wanting to take on a project like this. I have no idea who you can bring in with Deron Williams.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
While I can always see Phil going back to the lakers due to his relationship with Kobe and Jerry Buss, I can not see him wanting to take on a project like this. I have no idea who you can bring in with Deron Williams.

I can't see Phil going to a place where he has a roster that can't obviously win a title this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
I can't see Phil going to a place where he has a roster that can't obviously win a title this year.

Money always talks for PJax. If he gets a multiyear deal with a promise to add to the current roster(who knows how that can be done), it might bait him. He knows the Lakers arent calling anytime soon

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
Money always talks for PJax. If he gets a multiyear deal with a promise to add to the current roster(who knows how that can be done), it might bait him. He knows the Lakers arent calling anytime soon

I know money always talks, but the dude is what, 67 now? A multi-year, $30 million deal may be a ton of money but it would require him coaching until he's 70 and maybe never even having a team that can make a conference finals run. I have to figure the roster should be a big deal here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)

Money talks when you have MJ/Scottie, Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol on the roster. It doesn't sound as good with DWill/Johnson/Lopez

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
I know money always talks, but the dude is what, 67 now? A multi-year, $30 million deal may be a ton of money but it would require him coaching until he's 70 and maybe never even having a team that can make a conference finals run. I have to figure the roster should be a big deal here.

The wildcard here is Prokhorovs crazy desire to win. And the roster isnt terrible, it is underperforming. Maybe not conference finals worthy, but Phil has worked wonders before

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Money talks when you have MJ/Scottie, Kobe/Shaq, Kobe/Gasol on the roster. It doesn't sound as good with DWill/Johnson/Lopez

This is true, but Phil doesnt have the luxury of swooping into a situation with a GOAT contender

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 28, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
This is true, but Phil doesnt have the luxury of swooping into a situation with a GOAT contender

And I think he'd rather relax in Montana then take over a team with minimal championship hopes, no matter the money he is offered.

Nikola Vucevic had himself quite the game today.

Suddenly, Orlando's haul from the Howard deal (Vucevic, Affalo, Harkless and a few 1st rounders) doesn't look so bad.

I'd say Redick is likely to end up with Minnesota as well at this point if I had to pick a team.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 2, 2013 -> 11:36 PM)
Great play from the Bulls frontcourt today. Kirk Hinrich continues to be an embarrassment to the game of basketball though.

They came about this close to collapsing at the end, again. Man I can't wait for Rose to get back to close out those kind of games.

Nate Robinson never worried about whether his non-guaranteed, $1.15 million contract would become fully guaranteed, which happened Tuesday. "I just play ball, man," Robinson said. Robinson's guarantee date came nine days earlier than the league deadline for most contracts. The energetic guard is one of the few shot creators on the Bulls and is averaging 11 points in 21.2 minutes on 41.6 percent shooting. Chicago Tribune

So who's the odd man out when Rose comes back? Hopefully someone wants Rip or Kirk, if not I hope they just release Rip. I only say that because Kirk has a 2 year contract.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 3, 2013 -> 03:35 PM)
So who's the odd man out when Rose comes back? Hopefully someone wants Rip or Kirk, if not I hope they just release Rip. I only say that because Kirk has a 2 year contract.

There doesn't need to be any odd man out. They have extra roster spots right now, and since they've waited, they still have enough room to add a minimum salary player in addition to Rose while remaining under the hard cap.