2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
Gotta like when this happens right when people were complaining about Nate again.

Ya, I made a point to focus on it after the comments made a few days ago. May have just been this game but my goodness, Thibs made it pretty easy to follow too. Kirk ran the whole 1st Q and most of the 3rd, they managed 33 points in those 2 quarters. While Nate was running the point they scored 52 points.

Kirks little spin move with no one on him kinda annoyed me too for whatever reason.

But hey a W is a W and we are now 1 game out of the 2 spot.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
People were talking about Jo's big play last night possibly giving him a push into the AS game...

...and of course SportsCenter decided the Bulls-Pistons game would be the one NBA game they didn't cover today. Nobody will even know that play happened.

F*ck ESPN. At least NBA TV cares.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)

Growing up I was a huge MJ fan, the man was a sports god in my eyes and I really resented the way the NBA and the media presented Kobe right from the get go as the "next MJ". MJ earned his place in the GOAT debate with achievements, he EARNED it and I felt the NBA wanted to hand Kobe the mantle of the next GOAT just because his game was somewhat similar to Jordan's. Then Kobe got 3 rings in his early 20's (thanks to Shaq) and I thought it would be inevitable that Kobe would surpass MJ and give fodder to his foolish fan base and some ignorant media types that Kobe>MJ.

Today with Kobe being in the twilight of his career and still stuck on 5 titles, it's looking more and more like he isn't going to get that sixth ring and surprisingly, I can't say that I'm happy about it. Sure, it's funny looking at the Lakers team that on paper look stacked and seeing them struggle so bad but I've become a bit of a Kobe fan (regardless of his moronic fans) and yeah he sometimes shoots way too much and he's a bit of a prick but he's also a throwback NBA player, the last of a dying breed.

With all that said, though it may be impossible but wouldn't he look great in a Bulls jersey right now? He's the elite scoring option we need at SG! I know it ain't gonna happen but crazier things have happened before.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Growing up I was a huge MJ fan, the man was a sports god in my eyes and I really resented the way the NBA and the media presented Kobe right from the get go as the "next MJ". MJ earned his place in the GOAT debate with achievements, he EARNED it and I felt the NBA wanted to hand Kobe the mantle of the next GOAT just because his game was somewhat similar to Jordan's. Then Kobe got 3 rings in his early 20's (thanks to Shaq) and I thought it would be inevitable that Kobe would surpass MJ and give fodder to his foolish fan base and some ignorant media types that Kobe>MJ.

Today with Kobe being in the twilight of his career and still stuck on 5 titles, it's looking more and more like he isn't going to get that sixth ring and surprisingly, I can't say that I'm happy about it. Sure, it's funny looking at the Lakers team that on paper look stacked and seeing them struggle so bad but I've become a bit of a Kobe fan (regardless of his moronic fans) and yeah he sometimes shoots way too much and he's a bit of a prick but he's also a throwback NBA player, the last of a dying breed.

With all that said, though it may be impossible but wouldn't he look great in a Bulls jersey right now? He's the elite scoring option we need at SG! I know it ain't gonna happen but crazier things have happened before.

I discussed this very subject with a friend last night. It would be awesome, but the Bulls would have to cut off a leg to make it happen.

The way it looks right now, the Lakers are going to have to tell Kobe it is time to rebuild. This team aged out quick, and I cant imagine Howard wanting to stick around after this experience. I cant imagine Kobe is going to like hearing that.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Im wondering if the Lakers are leaning towards just destroying the team for a year or 2 and waiting for the next Big FA to want to come to LA. Its just hard to imagine that team going anywhere, and Dwight has made a terrible first impression.

And thats the thing with Kobe, he is 34 and has been in the league what, 16 years now? His clock is ticking, I cant imagine he will want to sit around waiting for 2 seasons and HOPE that a big FA chooses the Lakers.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)

Seaking of MJ - I love me some MJ.

LeBron may not get to 6 rings (who knows, who cares), but right now he's flat out a better baller than MJ ever was. Hell, I'm even leaning that way with Kevin Durant - he's a freak of nature. These guys are bigger, stronger, and better than MJ. MJ would still get his against them if we're talking prime, but if I were starting a franchise today, I'd take prime LBJ or Durant over prime MJ.

There, I said it. Flame on.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)

LeBron may not get to 6 rings (who knows, who cares), but right now he's flat out a better baller than MJ ever was. Hell, I'm even leaning that way with Kevin Durant - he's a freak of nature. These guys are bigger, stronger, and better than MJ. MJ would still get his against them if we're talking prime, but if I were starting a franchise today, I'd take prime LBJ or Durant over prime MJ.

Jordan's third season alone puts both of them to shame.

LeBron when he decides to take over the game, could be better than MJ he would have to have a little longer run doing it, because so far, he's dissappeared far too often. Durant while a HOFer for sure........you're just trolling if you think he's better than MJ. Freak of nature, watch some MJ before his first retirement, and look at his numbers. He was the best defensive and offensive player in the league at the same time for several years.

I couldn't disagree more with this post. Steve, I like most of your posts but LBJ is not on MJ's level. Hell, I'd take prime Larry Bird over LBJ. LBJ has the athletic advantage but Bird was a better passer and smarter player.

My money would be on prime MJ led team against a LBJ led team all things being equal. MJ would mindf*ck LBJ so bad that Jason Terry's dogging James would look like a day at the park...

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
I couldn't disagree more with this post. Steve, I like most of your posts but LBJ is not on MJ's level. Hell, I'd take prime Larry Bird over LBJ. LBJ has the athletic advantage but Bird was a better passer and smarter player.

My money would be on prime MJ led team against a LBJ led team all things being equal. MJ would mindf*ck LBJ so bad that Jason Terry's dogging James would look like a day at the park...

The big difference is that LeBron's size would make him a much better defender of MJ. The extra couple of inches and long arms would be huge.

We should also put into perspective the competition each faced.

MJ was forged playing against some of the greatest teams ever, Larry's Celtics, Magic's Lakers and the Bad Boys Pistons...LBJ only great competition was the mid 2000s Spurs.

Give me MJ's assassin mentallity over LBJ any day of the week.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
The big difference is that LeBron's size would make him a much better defender of MJ. The extra couple of inches and long arms would be huge.

Shoulda woulda coulda.

And it's hard to be a "much better" defender than a guy who is the GOAT defensively for his position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)

We are talking prime MJ vs prime LBJ, prime MJ blows past LBJ if he gets in his grill, if he steps back to take away his drive, MJ, one of the greatest mid range games ever, will drain wet jumpers all day. MJ was unguardable, LBJ isn't stopping MJ...and you can forget about LBJ blocking MJ from behind, he was one of the greatest finishers at the rim.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:21 PM)
We are talking prime MJ vs prime LBJ, prime MJ blows past LBJ if he gets in his grill, if he steps back to take away his drive, MJ, one of the greatest mid range games ever, will drain wet jumpers all day. MJ was unguardable, LBJ isn't stopping MJ...and you can forget about LBJ blocking MJ from behind, he was one of the greatest finishers at the rim.

LeBron does have the physical skills to be better than Jordan, but you're right, at least up until now, mentally can't match him. Not to say he won't someday, but right now, no way. If LeBron ever gets near Jordan's competitve nature, it will be pretty close. LeBron is unstoppable. When he decides to take over games it's like a high school all american vs. 8th graders.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)
LeBron does have the physical skills to be better than Jordan, but you're right, at least up until now, mentally can't match him. Not to say he won't someday, but right now, no way. If LeBron ever gets near Jordan's competitve nature, it will be pretty close. LeBron is unstoppable. When he decides to take over games it's like a high school all american vs. 8th graders.

Before last year, I'd agree - but LeBron rose up and crossed any obstacles he had mentally last year when he flat out raped the planet. Mentally, he has nothing left to prove that he's beyond that issue.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:24 PM)
Predictable drivel.

Whatever.

I was fortunate enough to have seen prime Bird, Magic, MJ, Shaq and so forth.

LBJ isn't even dominating on Shaq's level. Dude's only got one ring, let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. LBJ had one great playoffs run. MJ had half a dozen...let's see if he can put together a few before we atart calling him the greatest ever, SMH.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
Before last year, I'd agree - but LeBron rose up and crossed any obstacles he had mentally last year when he flat out raped the planet. Mentally, he has nothing left to prove that he's beyond that issue.

Let him do it a few more times like MJ. Once is not enough. LeBron can be better than MJ, but not yet. Before MJ came back to the Wizards, which I don't count as anything but a publicity stunt, the last 6 full seasons he played, he won a ring. It would be pretty hard to say anyone is/was better, especially if they haven't won yet or have done it once.

Edited by Dick Allen

I think those magic oats are getting to your head

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 12:27 PM)

I agree, he's got the physical skills and we saw him defeat his metal demons last year but we've yet to see if he can bring it yaer after year like the greats before have. Most likely he can but it's not gauranteed he will.