2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
2008 - 2013 basketball is more fun to watch and a much better product than any era in the history of the game.

Because the rule changes make it a guards league. People loved watching Allen Iverson so the league said "why don't we make everyone able to play like Iverson?!" Allen Iverson put up some of the best years of his career after the rule changes from the ages of 29-32. Pretty strange considering his game was almost completely reliant on his athleticism and ability to get to the rim. He was steadily declining the years before the changes and then BOOM!

A good comparison is all the rule changes in football that make QBs amazing. The casual fan loves offense so they want to give it to them. How many 5000 yard passers were there before the last few years? Matthew Stafford has over 10,000 passing yards over the past two years. People can say that football has evolved and that QBs are just better now, but that's just silly. The rule changes need to be acknowledged.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Because the rule changes make it a guards league. People loved watching Allen Iverson so the league said "why don't we make everyone able to play like Iverson?!" Allen Iverson put up two of the best years of his career after the rule changes from the ages of 29-32. Pretty strange considering his game was almost completely reliant on his athleticism and ability to get to the rim. He was steadily declining the years before the changes and then BOOM!

These things you state are obvious. Also, the league has done a great job in marketing it's stars - it's almost like a soap opera. KG talking about Melo's wife's twat, Dwight/LBJ drama, team "doing it right" in OKC, Kobe bein' Kobe, etc etc. It's a star driven league and the league is just littered with stars who have the personality and the want to get their faces out there.

I love it so much it makes my heart pitter patter.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
These things you state are obvious. Also, the league has done a great job in marketing it's stars - it's almost like a soap opera. KG talking about Melo's wife's twat, Dwight/LBJ drama, team "doing it right" in OKC, Kobe bein' Kobe, etc etc. It's a star driven league and the league is just littered with stars who have the personality and the want to get their faces out there.

I love it so much it makes my heart pitter patter.

I don't think it's obvious to all. It should be, but it isn't.

And I agree with your post. The league is extremely interesting because of the ability to root against teams like the Heat and Lakers, while being able to root for a team like the Thunder. The last two finals were the most interesting and entertaining since Jordan for me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
2008 - 2013 basketball is more fun to watch and a much better product than any era in the history of the game.

Eh. It is fun to watch in that now its all about offense and the players are overall more athletic but its tough to top the Bird vs Magic years as far as entertainment. If only they had as much exposure as the game does today, I mean back then they even aired taped delayed game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
That's just asinine. So is comparing Melo and Pippen given they are such completely different players.

Ya, there can't be 2 guys that have played the same position that could be more polar opposites than Carmelo and Scottie are/were.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
Eh. It is fun to watch in that now its all about offense and the players are overall more athletic but its tough to top the Bird vs Magic years as far as entertainment. If only they had as much exposure as the game does today, I mean back then they even aired taped delayed game.

I don't know, I'd say the bird vs. magic years were much more about offense than the league today. The amazing thing about the league today is how much stars can get criticized for being BAD on defense. MJ changed that. You can't just score 30 a game, people want you to be a stopper too.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 01:07 AM)
Why is this impressive. I hate how ESPN is sucking this guys dick. He made a half court shot. Not like its impossible or anything.

The shot isnt the point, its seeing LeBron going nuts over a fan he doesnt know making the shot. There was a whole article about it on deadspin.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 01:07 AM)
Why is this impressive. I hate how ESPN is sucking this guys dick. He made a half court shot. Not like its impossible or anything.

he won 75K and Lebrons made it unforgettable. I will forgive ESPN this time

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 07:37 AM)
he won 75K and Lebrons made it unforgettable. I will forgive ESPN this time

Yeah that was pretty cool. I'll have to watch LeBron play another game so I can remind myself why I hate him.

Hinrich had a great game.

Him and Nate did. Our second and third string pgs be beasting. Making all the people here who hated the pick up of these two in the offseason look silly. Bulls making all the nancies who cried about tanking look silly. Raise your hand if you wanted the bulls to tank. Dont be scurred

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
Him and Nate did. Our second and third string pgs be beasting. Making all the people here who hated the pick up of these two in the offseason look silly. Bulls making all the nancies who cried about tanking look silly. Raise your hand if you wanted the bulls to tank. Dont be scurred

Hinrich has still, overall, been terrible. Talk to me if he keeps this performance up through February and stays healthy.