2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
I'll be honest, his refusal to recruit bothers me way more than this does.

Agreed.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
I've heard fans say this, and media pundits say this, but have any of his players ever complained about it?

Im not sure what a player would say. Some guys want to play through injuries, Deng could be saying that "he has no pain" and "he is fine."

But part of being a coach is that you have to draw the line for your players. I just feel that Thibs has a tendency to push that line farther than other coaches. It may not lead to injuries, it may make no difference, but it just leaves room to question. Especially after Rose was severely injured last year, after people were questioning whether Thibs should be sitting Rose/Deng more.

You protect your valuable assets. Thats my opinion.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Agreed.

Im not sure what a player would say. Some guys want to play through injuries, Deng could be saying that "he has no pain" and "he is fine."

But part of being a coach is that you have to draw the line for your players. I just feel that Thibs has a tendency to push that line farther than other coaches. It may not lead to injuries, it may make no difference, but it just leaves room to question. Especially after Rose was severely injured last year, after people were questioning whether Thibs should be sitting Rose/Deng more.

You protect your valuable assets. Thats my opinion.

But Rose played the least amount of games in his entire career last year, missing what, 30+ games? He was as fresh as he'll ever be in the first week in the playoffs and he still got hurt.

Personally, I think the playing time thing is rubbish. I understand the complaint if they were playing 3 games in 4 nights and playing 45+ minutes each game. But that's got nothing to do with their health and more to do with an ability to give 110% (!) effort in the 3rd and 4th games, to the point that the team is at a competitive disadvantage. I haven't seen Thibs overwork his players to that point yet.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
But Rose played the least amount of games in his entire career last year, missing what, 30+ games? He was as fresh as he'll ever be in the first week in the playoffs and he still got hurt.

Personally, I think the playing time thing is rubbish. I understand the complaint if they were playing 3 games in 4 nights and playing 45+ minutes each game. But that's got nothing to do with their health and more to do with an ability to give 110% (!) effort in the 3rd and 4th games, to the point that the team is at a competitive disadvantage. I haven't seen Thibs overwork his players to that point yet.

The bold is where I disagree. If you look at the game logs from last year, many times after he played around 40 minutes, he would then miss a week or a few weeks.

When you play through injuries and you dont let them heal 100%, there is a potential that you do permanent damage or that you slow down the recovery time.

Players are humans, humans break down if you overwork them.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
The bold is where I disagree. If you look at the game logs from last year, many times after he played around 40 minutes, he would then miss a week or a few weeks.

When you play through injuries and you dont let them heal 100%, there is a potential that you do permanent damage or that you slow down the recovery time.

Playing through injury to one part of the body can also lead to you getting hurt somewhere else because you may end up moving and playing in a manner that is not natural and puts extra strain on your body.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
Playing through injury to one part of the body can also lead to you getting hurt somewhere else because you may end up moving and playing in a manner that is not natural and puts extra strain on your body.

Yeah - Rose was a pretty easy example of that. IIRC it all started with a brutal roll of his ankle, then he came back and his quad was hurting, then his groin went goofy, then ankle again and then the world ended.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)

Except LeBron. I do not believe him to be a human being.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 02:33 PM)

This is an argument about not playing while injured, not whether playing another 5-8 minutes and being "overworked" contributed to some of those injuries. Either way, he was healed and rested as much as he could be going into the playoffs. That's what sucked so much about the injury - he was FINALLY healthy. And yet he still had a freak injury.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
This is an argument about not playing while injured, not whether playing another 5-8 minutes and being "overworked" contributed to some of those injuries. Either way, he was healed and rested as much as he could be going into the playoffs. That's what sucked so much about the injury - he was FINALLY healthy. And yet he still had a freak injury.

I think you are missing the argument. Its about Thibs overplaying players who are injured. Deng had a torn tendon, that is an injury, yet Deng played top 5 minutes in the entire NBA. That just does not compute.

And Rose was never 100% last year. Thats why he got injured, because he WASNT HEALTHY.

That is why (imo) his camp is not rushing him back, last year Rose "manned up" and tore his acl.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:07 PM)
I think you are missing the argument. Its about Thibs overplaying players who are injured. Deng had a torn tendon, that is an injury, yet Deng played top 5 minutes in the entire NBA. That just does not compute.

And Rose was never 100% last year. Thats why he got injured, because he WASNT HEALTHY.

That is why (imo) his camp is not rushing him back, last year Rose "manned up" and tore his acl.

Have dengs minutes affected him? Doesnt seem like it.

It is your opinion he(Rose) got injured because he wasnt healthy, not fact. Asking any player to be 100 percent at the end of an NBA season is going to get you nowhere.

Speaking of getting nowhere, this is where you will disagree with me and make a comparison of types of pizza you like and I like. So I will walk away now.

No I get the argument, I don't agree with it. My issue is placing the blame on Thibs as if he's FORCING these guys to play. I've never heard a player whine to the media about playing too much. I've never gotten a hint of one of them making a comment like "yeah, I was hurt, the expectation is to play, so I played." If this was the case, not only would the players (and ex-players) comment on it, but so would Gar-Pax since they would want to protect their investments. But no one has said anything and we're in year three now. Unless I've missed it, which is possible.

IMO, this is all fan/media make-em-ups that started when the Bulls got beat by the Heat. "Oh, well, it must be because they were tired at the end of the year. Thibs played them too much during the season." Crap. They got beat by a better team.

Deng tore a tendon in his wrist. It wasn't going to get better with rest, and it wasn't going to get worse by playing through it. It shouldn't impact his minutes.

And wasn't there a huge discussion on here last year that his ACL tear was not a result of him playing injured?

I agree that Thibs probably plays his players too much though.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 04:20 PM)
And wasn't there a huge discussion on here last year that his ACL tear was not a result of him playing injured?

Imo (and im not a dr) its inconclusive.

Jenks,

we just have a difference of opinion. I believe it is the coaches responsibility to protect the players and to know the players. If that player is going to play injured to the detriment of the team, its up to the coach to say no.

I have no idea what really happened. Im just reading between the lines. And (imo) there is an apparent difference between how Rose was acting last year (trying to tough it out regardless) and this year.

Now maybe its just in Rose's head. But this is something Ive expressed concern about for a while, so Im obviously looking at it from that perspective.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)
Rose to start 5 on 5 practice after the break and see how he is from there. Per Paxson.

*Chicago beat writers scurry to their desks to write how Rose is now optimistic he will play next week*