2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)

We are truly at the point where there's no reason for him not to be playing for the team paying him on a $95 million contract. In fact, I'd be pretty shocked if he doesn't play tomorrow night.

That may be true but that video does nothing to prove that. Dunking at half speed is nothing like the stress that cutting at full speed puts on his body and the confidence he has to move laterally at full speed is the most important part of his recovery.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
Its really just risk v reward.

Reward of an extra week or 2 weeks of D-Rose, not worth risk of D-Rose being re-injured.

The risk of injury at this point is nil above what it would normally be. It is all about confidence and conditioning at this point.

It's been almost 10 months since the game that Rose got hurt in. For comparisons sake: Ricky Rubio had 9 months and 6 days before returning; Al Jefferson had 8 months and 20 days back in 2009 (hurt in Feb. 2009 and started the next season); David West had 9 months and 2 days; Iman Shumpert, who had the same injury the same day as Rose, has been back for a month (8 months, 20 days). Obviously each player is different and each injury is probably slightly different, but at least in comparison to some other recent NBA ACL injuries (or at least a small sampling of them), it seems like Rose is taking longer than normal.

It's completely deliberate on Derrick's part. I correspond with his college trainer and he said if he was at Memphis, he'd have been playing for at least a month. I don't mind him taking time, but he has no business taking the whole season off.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
It's completely deliberate on Derrick's part. I correspond with his college trainer and he said if he was at Memphis, he'd have been playing for at least a month. I don't mind him taking time, but he has no business taking the whole season off.

Any reason as to why he is sitting as to this point?

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
Derrick rose is really starting to piss me off. With his brothers comments and now reports that he's perfectly fine and its all mental. Quit being a b**** and get in the game

The only way he's going to get over the mental block is to play. I'm not pissed at him yet but he's gonna have to get over his fear at some point and just play, sitting out the whole season would be pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
The only way he's going to get over the mental block is to play. I'm not pissed at him yet but he's gonna have to get over his fear at some point and just play, sitting out the whole season would be pretty ridiculous.

And just add another offseason of doubts into his mind

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
The risk of injury at this point is nil above what it would normally be. It is all about confidence and conditioning at this point.

Interesting opinion, but Im not sure that a Dr would agree that after an ACL injury there is no greater risk of re-injury. I also would think that confidence and conditioning play a role in re-injury.

He is your star player, he is young, imo he comes back when he is ready, not a game sooner.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:47 PM)
Interesting opinion, but Im not sure that a Dr would agree that after an ACL injury there is no greater risk of re-injury. I also would think that confidence and conditioning play a role in re-injury.

He is your star player, he is young, imo he comes back when he is ready, not a game sooner.

If he is practicing at full pace, he is fine. The rest is in his head.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
If he is practicing at full pace, he is fine. The rest is in his head.

Im reading a pretty huge qualifier.

Besides for Rose, how can anyone tell if he is able to practice at full pace and feeling fine?

Thats the problem with pain tolerance/injuries, you just dont know what the other person is feeling.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:43 PM)

I am guessing he wants to come back at an MVP level. However, that's a catch 22 as he needs to play to get there (if he will at all).

QUOTE (kev211 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
Derrick rose is really starting to piss me off. With his brothers comments and now reports that he's perfectly fine and its all mental. Quit being a b**** and get in the game

It's kind of sad how badly they handled this. Though I guess it will all be forgotten once he sets foot on the court again. Doesn't he appear to be on schedule of the schedule that apparently doesn't exist? :)

I didn't expect him back til sometime in March which seems to be in step with his progress from reports in the media.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
It's kind of sad how badly they handled this. Though I guess it will all be forgotten once he sets foot on the court again. Doesn't he appear to be on schedule of the schedule that apparently doesn't exist? :)

I didn't expect him back til sometime in March which seems to be in step with his progress from reports in the media.

I was expecting February. By March, he's behind the pace of most Major League athletes who have the same surgery.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
Im reading a pretty huge qualifier.

Besides for Rose, how can anyone tell if he is able to practice at full pace and feeling fine?

Thats the problem with pain tolerance/injuries, you just dont know what the other person is feeling.

Last I knew, the Bulls have a pretty extensive coaching and training staff, not to mention media presence. I am sure at least one of them knows what Rose's full pace looks like.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2013 -> 07:43 PM)

IMO (which is based on second hand medical info), he is still in the window of "I'm taking my time because I don't want to come back out of playing shape and develop new injuries because I pushed it." However, I don't think that window extends another month into the season.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:01 AM)
IMO (which is based on second hand medical info), he is still in the window of "I'm taking my time because I don't want to come back out of playing shape and develop new injuries because I pushed it." However, I don't think that window extends another month into the season.

Which is kind of how he tore the ACL in the first place, coming back too quickly from his rash of other injuries.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
Which is kind of how he tore the ACL in the first place, coming back too quickly from his rash of other injuries.

At least, we think there's a relationship between that injury and the others.

I think the best thing would be to take the hot tub treatment. Feet and lower legs in first, then up to the waist, then all the way in. You want him to start his first game back just so he can get the ovation, but you really don't want him playing any more than 16-20 his first few back. Then you can up that to 22-26, and then kick it up above 30+ mins from there. By postseason time, he'd be playing full games again.