2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
Everyone right now seems to be saying the bulls are focused on a big man.

Makes sense. They're losing Naz and have Boozer, Noah and Taj. Two of the three have been injury prone (and really Boozer too up until his time with the Bulls). Pick a guy and groom him to take over Boozer's spot in 2015 if need be.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Makes sense. They're losing Naz and have Boozer, Noah and Taj. Two of the three have been injury prone (and really Boozer too up until his time with the Bulls). Pick a guy and groom him to take over Boozer's spot in 2015 if need be.

Don't forget that they already lost Asik.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 23, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
A coach did decide he wanted Tyler Hansbrough on the court in a defensive situation instead of Roy Hibbert.

Meh. Unless Hibbert was standing under the basket and never guarded Battier or Bosh he wasn't going to be able to do anything on that play. On the prior possession where LeBron got a layup it was a different story though. That last possession was a well designed play by Spoelstra (pains me to say that) and a huge f*** up by George. He got himself way out of possession and had no chance to even slow LeBron down once he caught the ball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
Meh. Unless Hibbert was standing under the basket and never guarded Battier or Bosh he wasn't going to be able to do anything on that play. On the prior possession where LeBron got a layup it was a different story though. That last possession was a well designed play by Spoelstra (pains me to say that) and a huge f*** up by George. He got himself way out of possession and had no chance to even slow LeBron down once he caught the ball.

Thank you. And this goes back to what I said earlier about Hibbert. He's tall, wide, and takes up space. When he actually has to move his big ass and guard somebody, especially out on the perimeter, he's a liability. I understand why he was left out.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)

But you have to consider there is no way Lebron won't go to the basket for a game winning layup without a rim protector, especially after what happened at the end of regulation. I would rather let the perimeter guys beat me than to give up the layup, and they only need a 2 to win, so they would like to get something at the rim versus taking a 3. So it's either Frank Vogel didn't expect a layup from Lebron, or he expected Paul George to stop Lebron from getting to the rim. Both of which are mistakes regardless. He should have put Hibbert in, twice.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:10 PM)
But you have to consider there is no way Lebron won't go to the basket for a game winning layup without a rim protector, especially after what happened at the end of regulation. I would rather let the perimeter guys beat me than to give up the layup, and they only need a 2 to win, so they would like to get something at the rim versus taking a 3. So it's either Frank Vogel didn't expect a layup from Lebron, or he expected Paul George to stop Lebron from getting to the rim. Both of which are mistakes regardless. He should have put Hibbert in, twice.

Dude, there's was two fricking seconds on the clock. If Paul George can't stay in front of LeBron for two seconds, then that's on him. Bet you he wouldn't get by Kobe in two seconds.

Edited by Jordan4life

He had done a really good job of that in the 4th. Lebron made 2-3 really stupid decisions with the ball and took some terrible shots because George was able to stop him from getting to the rim. I think what happened was a fluke. Lebron caught the ball in stride and was basically full steam ahead right away. George expected him to take a dribble and then drive so he was a half step slow. Terrible job by George, but I don't think the idea of taking Hibbert out and contesting shooters was really all that dumb.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

the mistake was letting LeBron get to the rim. He has to be denied or trapped on the perimeter. If he is at the rim, it is too damned late. LeBron is too strong even for a Hibbert. At worst he draws a foul.

They should have thrown a double at Lebron or played a zone or something. If he takes a dribble and passes to the open guy, the shot would still be rushed because how long would a dribble and pass take considering there was only 2 seconds? They just did the worst possible thing and allowed a layup to a guy who shies away from shooting jumpers in clutch situations.

They were saying that Lebron didn't score the final 4+ minutes of the 4th and the first 4+ minutes of the overtime. He looked like 2011 vs Dallas Lebron. Unfortunately, Indiana decided to take out hibbert and then one play Lebron gets an ISO against a midget and then the next he gets an uncontested layup.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
Thank you. And this goes back to what I said earlier about Hibbert. He's tall, wide, and takes up space. When he actually has to move his big ass and guard somebody, especially out on the perimeter, he's a liability. I understand why he was left out.

Ask Carmelo about that.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
They should have thrown a double at Lebron or played a zone or something. If he takes a dribble and passes to the open guy, the shot would still be rushed because how long would a dribble and pass take considering there was only 2 seconds? They just did the worst possible thing and allowed a layup to a guy who shies away from shooting jumpers in clutch situations.

They were saying that Lebron didn't score the final 4+ minutes of the 4th and the first 4+ minutes of the overtime. He looked like 2011 vs Dallas Lebron. Unfortunately, Indiana decided to take out hibbert and then one play Lebron gets an ISO against a midget and then the next he gets an uncontested layup.

2 seconds is plenty of time for the greatest player in the league to catch the ball, get doubled and pass to an open teammate that has a open shot. It makes more sense to make Lebron drive and step back with a contested jumper than to give a guy like Bosh a wide open 15-18 footer. Again, George had been doing an amazing job the entire 4th quarter. He was outplaying Lebron on both ends of the floor until that last play.

And you know George is 6'8" right? He's far from a midget.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2807213:date=May 23, 2013 -> 02:07 PM:name=Jordan4life)-->
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
<!--quotec-->Thank you. And this goes back to what I said earlier about Hibbert. He's tall, wide, and takes up space. When he actually has to move his big ass and guard somebody, especially out on the perimeter, he's a liability. I understand why he was left out.

Ask Carmelo about that.

What the hell did this video prove?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
2 seconds is plenty of time for the greatest player in the league to catch the ball, get doubled and pass to an open teammate that has a open shot. It makes more sense to make Lebron drive and step back with a contested jumper than to give a guy like Bosh a wide open 15-18 footer. Again, George had been doing an amazing job the entire 4th quarter. He was outplaying Lebron on both ends of the floor until that last play.

The guy he beat on the previous layup was George Hill, not Paul George. George Hill is 6'2".

Also you help off of Battier and Chalmers/Cole (I honestly didn't notice which was in the game). That's a chance you take every time. "Making" Lebron drive is never the right play because of situations like that, plus a likely foul call enters the equation.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:07 PM)
What the hell did this video prove?

It's an example of why it's generally a good idea to have your best rim protector on the floor. He and George are the main reasons the Pacers had the best defensive efficiency in the league. George was similarly torched on that play, but they had a big man there to challenge the shot.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:12 PM)
It's an example of why it's generally a good idea to have your best rim protector on the floor. He and George are the main reasons the Pacers had the best defensive efficiency in the league. George was similarly torched on that play, but they had a big man there to challenge the shot.

And in last night's case he's guarding Battier or Bosh and is nowhere near the rim anyway. Once LeBron flew by George, that was it. It was either going to be a layup, dunk or foul.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
The guy he beat on the previous layup was George Hill, not Paul George. George Hill is 6'2".

Also you help off of Battier and Chalmers/Cole (I honestly didn't notice which was in the game). That's a chance you take every time. "Making" Lebron drive is never the right play because of situations like that, plus a likely foul call enters the equation.

Ah, my bad, I didn't read that closely enough.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)

George Hill is not 6'8. I was talking about the previous play.

And sure, it's enough time for him to do that, but will his teammate have enough time to actually set himself and not rush the shot? That's what I was getting at. Making Norris Cole rush a jumpshot might not be the worst thing in the world.

E: Zoom cleared it up. Sorry.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
And in last night's case he's guarding Battier and Bosh and is nowhere near the rim anyway. Once LeBron flew by George, that was it. It was either going to be a layup, dunk or foul.

Right, because big men never cheat off guys like that to overload the strong side of the floor. Look at the Melo clip again. I can't quite tell who it is, but there's a guy WIDE open on the opposite wing from Carmelo's drive. Hibbert and West are both chilling out next to Chandler and Hibbert drops off to cover the rim on that play.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
Right, because big men never cheat off guys like that to overload the strong side of the floor. Look at the Melo clip again. I can't quite tell who it is, but there's a guy WIDE open on the opposite wing from Carmelo's drive. Hibbert and West are both chilling out next to Chandler and Hibbert drops off to cover the rim on that play.

Come on, like Melo's going to pass ;)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 23, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
And in last night's case he's guarding Battier or Bosh and is nowhere near the rim anyway. Once LeBron flew by George, that was it. It was either going to be a layup, dunk or foul.

Which is why the denial, then double team, was vital there. It was 2.2 seconds.

I think it's pretty easy to second guess here...and honestly, George was probably pretty fatigued and just got caught trying to anticipate something there. It happens. Probably cost Indiana any chance at winning the series, but it's done.

Edited by iamshack