2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not hockey. Teams don't make line changes. They send in one or two bench players at a time, and leave starters out there with them.

Thibs does his substitutions much like line changes in hockey doe. The bench goes out like a unit, they play together. Then the starters come back. Its rare that he'll pick and choose.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Thibs does his substitutions much like line changes in hockey doe. The bench goes out like a unit, they play together. Then the starters come back. Its rare that he'll pick and choose.

Other teams don't. They play starters with bench players. This means they have starting caliber bench players, by your definition, thus negating your own argument.

Now if you want to come back and argue how good the bench players for the Bulls are, that is a different story. But leave Deng out of it.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
So you're saying it makes no difference how many starting caliber players a team has on their bench, because the opposing team will just negate it by sending their starters out too? that makes no sense.

I'm saying that calling starters, starting caliber bench players, on one hand, while hand waving away starters playing with other bench units, doesn't make any sense at all. If you want to make an argument about how good the bench is, stick to arguing how good the bench is, not how good the bench plus the starters are. That just moves the goal posts.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)

Right, because he NEVER banished Boozer or Noah to the bench for entire quarters or anything.

Right, because he NEVER banished Boozer or Noah to the bench for entire quarters or anything.

but thats so rare compared to the amount of times he did his hockey line change substitutions

generally speaking, Thibs likes the line changes and sticks to them

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
but thats so rare compared to the amount of times he did his hockey line change substitutions

generally speaking, Thibs likes the line changes and sticks to them

RZZZA statement 1) Deng plays a ton with the bench, so he's a bench player.

RZZZA statement 2) Thibs likes the line changes and sticks to them.

One of these has to be false.

He really doesn't do line-changes, at least not complete ones (he does usually keep his frontcourt paring together).

Rose/Brewer/Korver/Boozer/Noah was the Bulls' fourth most used lineup last year. The 3 above it were all combinations of starters (some variety with Rose and Hamilton being hurt).

I just think its fair to include Deng with the bench if he's playing so many minutes with them.

Thibs does do line changes, any Bulls fan who watches the Bulls habitually will know that.

Obviously he'll change it up a bit sometimes due to injuries or do to individual suckage, but generally speaking my statement is true. Thibs likes the line changes.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
I just think its fair to include Deng with the bench if he's playing so many minutes with them.

Thibs does do line changes, any Bulls fan who watches the Bulls habitually will know that.

Obviously he'll change it up a bit sometimes due to injuries or do to individual suckage, but generally speaking my statement is true. Thibs likes the line changes.

The bench mob was their 9th most used unit. The following units were all more common:

Rose/Brewer/Korver/Boozer/Noah

Lucas/Korver/Deng/Gibson/Asik

Watson/Brewer/Deng/Gibson/Asik

Rose/Korver/Deng/Boozer/Noah

Like every other coach, he mixes and matches depending on what works. As I mentioned earlier, the one thing he didn't do often is break up Noah/Boozer and Gibson/Asik. That may happen more this year.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

The bench mob was their 9th most used unit. The following units were all more common:

Rose/Brewer/Korver/Boozer/Noah

Lucas/Korver/Deng/Gibson/Asik

Watson/Brewer/Deng/Gibson/Asik

Rose/Korver/Deng/Boozer/Noah

Like every other coach, he mixes and matches depending on what works. As I mentioned earlier, the one thing he didn't do often is break up Noah/Boozer and Gibson/Asik. That may happen more this year.

I don't even know what your definition of "bench mob" is, you apparently don't include Deng in that even though he's in with the mob all the time. So I don't put a lot of stock into your assertion that the mob was the 9th most used unit.

That along with chronic injuries last year forced Thibs to make changes to his lineup. No surprise there.

I don't think anybody can dispute that Thibs has his set rotations though

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
I don't even know what your definition of "bench mob" is, you apparently don't include Deng in that even though he's in with the mob all the time. So I don't put a lot of stock into your assertion that the mob was the 9th most used unit.

That along with chronic injuries last year forced Thibs to make changes to his lineup. No surprise there.

I don't think anybody can dispute that Thibs has his set rotations though

"The Bench Mob" has always been a combination of bench players (I'm not even getting into the previous argument here, that's the definition of the nickname. You got a problem with it, talk to Stacey King.). That's not Deng. His picture isn't on that shirt a few posts up.

He does play with the bench even though he starts the game and plays most of his minutes with the first unit. Thus, it can't be a "line-change" if one of the starters stays on the floor. Two of those lineups also involved Korver playing with the starters.

Every coach has their wrinkles to try to put solid units on the floor. Harden and Ginobili come off the bench, Bynum played with the second unit to get more post touches, the Heat virtually never put all of their "Big 3" on the bench, ect. For Thibs, it's flipping Korver and Deng when he starts working in subs. Deng is still in there to start the game and the second half as well as down the stretch though.

Notice I left off lineups involving Watson at point with 4 other starters and the Hamilton/Brewer variance at SG since those were frequently starting lineups.

Any competent coach tries to stay consistent with their rotations, but that doesn't mean that they strictly use all starters and all bench players in different lineups or that they won't adjust if someone is struggling. That includes Thibs.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
RZZZA feels he's a huge upgrade and shout start at the 2. Always listen to RZZZA, he's the only true fan.

Thats me who can see him as the future SG. Preseason don't mean squat, if he develops into a more consistent player then he most certainly could be a starting caliber player. In my opinion anyway.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Thats me who can see him as the future SG. Preseason don't mean squat, if he develops into a more consistent player then he most certainly could be a starting caliber player. In my opinion anyway.

Oh, then my apologies. It does not bode well for that opinion that I got it confused with RZZZA. :lol:

The only thing Belinelli has going for himself is he looks like a young Sly Stallone.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Oh, then my apologies. It does not bode well for that opinion that I got it confused with RZZZA. :lol:

The only thing Belinelli has going for himself is he looks like a young Sly Stallone.

LOL I mean my key for him being a starting caliber player is to become more consistent. Take a look at his game logs, he def has days where he looks like a starter, even a borderline all star. Then there are days where he struggles, or doesn't put up many shots. If he can gain some more consistency and Thibs gets the best out of him then I can see him as the future starting SG of this team.

has Bellinelli hit a shot yet this preseason?

Yes, he hit a few with Hinrich in game 3. He looks a lot better playing with Kirk because Kirk gets him the ball in rhythm to shoot. Nate looks like he has no clue how to PG.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Oct 15, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
lol Steve! You're trying a little too hard to insult me.

Why you no like me? :( I like you.

Oh stop it. You clearly consider anyone not holding pom-poms 24/7 to be a bad fan. You also think Luol Deng is God's gift to basketball when he's barely above average, especially with one arm.

These things irk me and make me doubt your critical thinking ability.

Edited by Steve9347

You've never encountered a person who was a big fan of a player who wasn't a superstar before? I'm the first?

I love Lu. I love him. If I was a female I'd let him have my babies. If that makes me crazy then I'm crazy.

P.S. I got an A in critical thinking

Edited by RZZZA