2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Is that because of the cap...or is that because the authors are assuming that Brook Lopez + whatever other assets they'd have left wouldn't be enough to get Dwight? I'm not counting on the latter.

Cap. I cant imagine Joe Johnson, Dwill, Dwight, plus Gerald Wallace's shiny new contract will be something any team can afford

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Cap. I cant imagine Joe Johnson, Dwill, Dwight, plus Gerald Wallace's shiny new contract will be something any team can afford

Meh. They're moving to New York and their owner is a multi-billionaire. If anyone is going to ignore the luxury tax, it's probably Prokhorov.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
Meh. They're moving to New York and their owner is a multi-billionaire. If anyone is going to ignore the luxury tax, it's probably Prokhorov.

He can ignore the luxury tax all he wants, he can't ignore the cap when acquiring a player.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 06:45 PM)
He can ignore the luxury tax all he wants, he can't ignore the cap when acquiring a player.

The cap doesn't matter if you're making a trade. All you have to do is match salaries, or get close enough. While that would be tricky in this case since most of their salary filler would be going to Atlanta, they could still sign and trade Lopez and/or Humphries to get within range.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
The cap doesn't matter if you're making a trade. All you have to do is match salaries, or get close enough. While that would be tricky in this case since most of their salary filler would be going to Atlanta, they could still sign and trade Lopez and/or Humphries to get within range.

It certainly does matter. If you're over the cap and make a trade which still leaves you over the cap, even if you are reducing salary, you need a trade exception. I believe the Nets used their's with the Johnson trade. They are over the cap. So I believe to get Howard they would have to get under the cap. Which would mean Williams would have to sign elsewhere for sure as one piece, and a lot more would have to happen. If the cap is $60 million they would have $50 million tied up in Howard, Wallace, and Johnson.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
It certainly does matter. If you're over the cap and make a trade which still leaves you over the cap, even if you are reducing salary, you need a trade exception. I believe the Nets used their's with the Johnson trade. They are over the cap. So I believe to get Howard they would have to get under the cap. Which would mean Williams would have to sign elsewhere for sure as one piece, and a lot more would have to happen.

That's not true at all, otherwise teams over the cap would essentially never be able to make trades. It's right here in Larry Coon's salary cap FAQ:

Yeah, they can take on salary in trades.

That's doesn't mean it's likely in this case because Orlando would actually have to want these players, but it's theoretically possible.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
That's not true at all, otherwise teams over the cap would essentially never be able to make trades. It's right here in Larry Coon's salary cap FAQ:

Yeah, they can take on salary in trades.

That's doesn't mean it's likely in this case because Orlando would actually have to want these players, but it's theoretically possible.

Actually I got my info from the same place. It was right above what you posted:

80. What is the Traded Player exception?

As described in question number 79, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to sign players or make trades that leave them above the salary cap. Any trade which leaves the team over the salary cap requires an exception -- even if the team is moving downward in salary. For example, if the salary cap is $60 million, a team has a team salary of $65 million, and they want to trade a $5 million player for a $4 million player, they still have to use an exception. Even though their team salary is decreasing by $1 million as a result of the trade, the fact that they would finish over the salary cap ($64 million) means that an exception is required.

The Traded Player exception is the primary means by which teams over the cap complete trades. It allows teams to make trades that leave them over the cap, but it places several restrictions on those trades. Trades using the Traded Player exception fall into two categories: simultaneous and non-simultaneous. As its name suggests, a simultaneous trade takes place all at once. Teams can trade players together and acquire considerably more salary than they trade away in a simultaneous trade. Simultaneous trades are described in question number 81. A non-simultaneous trade may take up to a year to complete, but the team can only trade away one player, and its team salary can increase by no more than $100,000 as a result of the trade. Non-simultaneous trades are described in question number 82.

If they could, I agree, its still a longshot, maybe they have another trade exception. Orlando like you said would have to want those players for probably several years, and they would also want to do Howard a favor which I'm guessing after they fired the GM and coach because he wanted them gone then demanded to be traded they probably aren't inclined to do. Acquiring Lopez and Humphries at best will put them in NBA hell. Dwight is going to have to find a new destination.

It wasn't long ago Howard was considered a pretty good guy. He will be the most despised NBA player shortly.

Edited by Dick Allen

The trade exception is created when you trade a player. They're just using it at the same time to bring in salary instead of saving it for a later transaction (which is the only time you ever hear about exceptions).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
'The Dwight Howards of the world'? Shouldn't that just read: Dwight Howard? Who is even remotely close to his level at that position?

Well, I meant in terms of size. No one has his ability, but there are a few guys with his size that would be difficult for Taj to guard (Hibbert, Bogut, Howard, Lopez and a couple others).

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 10:15 PM)
Ric Bucher was just saying on ESPN that he thinks it'll be nearly impossible for the Nets to trade for HOward now. He still thinks at SOME POINT he'll end up there, but very unlikely this season.

Brooklyn was always going to struggle to put together a competitive deal, after the Wallace trade. Brook Lopez, Marshon Brooks, #6 and a future pick might have been passable. It doesn't look so great without the high lottery pick, and they moved pretty much all of their contracts for Johnson.

The only way it is remotely doable is if Orlando can't get s*** for Dwight without an extension and has to take a bad deal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Starting to sound like Dwight is going to get what he wants.

The Nets and the Orlando Magic are discussing a trade that would send Howard to the Nets for Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and the Nets' first-round picks in 2013, 2015 and 2017, sources said. Lopez and Humphries, who are both free agents, would go to Orlando in sign-and-trade deals.
ESPN

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
If Howard goes to Brooklyn, I really hope D-Will signs with Dallas.

From all i have read, Dwill and Dwight are attached at the hip

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
From all i have read, Dwill and Dwight are attached at the hip

As an Illini guy, I root for Deron so I guess it's good for him. But Howard has acted like a bigger b**** than even LeBron & the Decision, so seeing everything work out well for him will annoy the s*** out of me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Just for the record, if this happens, there will be team I hate more than the Me-ami Heat.

At least the Nets would still get smoked by the Heat.

LBJ > All