2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 11:01 PM)
An alien has taken over Kirks body

The Lakers are a joke. I don't get it

The Lakers are not even gonna make the playoffs. They have to finish 26-15 (.634) just to get to 43 wins, which still might not be enough.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)
Really like the kid's future. Usually don't compliment young players much unless they're special or underrated by people, but I like the tools he has. Already a very good free throw shooter, excellent form on his shot (which is essential to his potential offensive upside so obviously his offensive game will grow with confidence and more minutes) great efficiency (and a low TO rate to boot), good athleticism (with a Bulls team who isn't that athletic at all minus a couple players) and is already a very good defender. (great footwork, I.Q., etc.) He might not be a star, but I believe he'll be a solid starting SF in the future.

I agree with everything you've said here.

Thibs: Derrick is "very close" to full contact. "It could" happen this week.

— Aggrey Sam (@CSNBullsInsider) January 22, 2013

You know...there's an @Charlotte game on Feb. 22 in that after-the AS break area...and I'm within driving distance for that...

Of course, there are 2 post AS games before that...@ new orleans...and then @ home versus, yeah, the Heat.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
You know...there's an @Charlotte game on Feb. 22 in that after-the AS break area...and I'm within driving distance for that...

I'd imagine they'd have him play his first game at home - that's why I picked 01/28. It looks like I'll be off by a week or so, but I'd bet on maybe 02/11? I can't see Rose going through full contact in practice for longer than two weeks before getting some game minutes.

We don't need Derrick :)

Seriously though, I'm interested in how our rotation will look when Derrick is back at full strength. Derrick would be getting 35+ at this point, leaving not much time for a backup PG -- and would this person be the scoreless Kirk or Nate, who has been a very valuable part of the bench at this point? Teague? At the 2 we've had satisfactory play from both Rip and Belinelli, so I don't see much PT for Kirk there. On particular nights, I can see Jimmy getting play there as well. Speaking of Jimmy, he's got to get more minutes. This should benefit Lu who was at an upper limit for minutes anyway. Taj is finally starting to look like a good basketball player as well, so I don't see any drastic changes in the front court despite how good Carlos has been playing.

Now that we're about halfway through the season, the team once again looks pretty damn deep. We're deeper than we've ever been at 2 and 3, I think our PG backups are at least as good as CJ+JL3/whomever. The main loss was Asik, though I'm dubious that his exit has hurt us much. Nazr is nothing special, but last night he showed us that he can come in and foul somebody 4 times and leave...which was the bulk of Omer's role anyway.

I know it's crazy minutes Thibs...but if he can successfully limit Hamilton's minutes...I'm going to believe he can successfully limit Rose's minutes out the gate.

That's going to be fairly important too...you just can't put him in and expect him to go 40 in the first week without dying.

The backcourt rotation with him...depends on what you need I guess. Hinrich more of a defender, Nate more of a scorer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
That's going to be fairly important too...you just can't put him in and expect him to go 40 in the first week without dying.

Jake did say "when he's at full strength".

I doubt Derrick plays more than 30 minutes in any game before April... he could be really primed to hit his stride once the playoffs start.

Ugh, I'm being such a dumbass, homer, D-Rose fanboy. I f***ing love that kid. I'll well-up when he gets his first minutes of the season.

So I guess the benching for noah was due to him spouting off and Thibs benching him. Noah apologized.

I think one of the reasons Thibideau is such a well-liked coach despite his demanding style is he will never speak ill of a player to the media. They know he won't sell them out.

You have to respect the hell out of thibs for this year. We looked so awful to start the season, and he coached these scrubs into shape quick.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:01 PM)
An alien has taken over Kirks body

The Lakers are a joke. I don't get it

Dwight is awful. D'Antoni is awful. Look at the defense. Howard is so slow to rotate. Bulls had so many easy buckets. They'd have won by 30 if they could hit open jumpers (well anyone other then Kirk/Marco). Boozer missed a lot of cookies, same with Rip.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 06:23 AM)

Of course, there are 2 post AS games before that...@ new orleans...and then @ home versus, yeah, the Heat.

During yesterdays game they said it could happen today.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
During yesterdays game they said it could happen today.

Yeah...not happening. Weeks still, not days. Not when he hasn't had a full contact practice.

I'd actually be kinda furious if they shoved him in there without the equivalent of a training camp. 2-3 weeks of full practice.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
It is astounding to me that D'Antoni is forcing this personnel into his system rather than adapting to it. Pau Gasol as a bench player? WTF is wrong with you

He needs to go. He obviously can't handle this group. Somewhere Phil Jackson is laughing at the idea that it is easy to coach a bunch of superstars.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
It is astounding to me that D'Antoni is forcing this personnel into his system rather than adapting to it. Pau Gasol as a bench player? WTF is wrong with you

I liked the point Simmons made too - by benching him they just lost some trade value. He's not an integral part of the team, so the Lakers can't demand top dollar.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
Yeah...not happening. Weeks still, not days. Not when he hasn't had a full contact practice.

I'd actually be kinda furious if they shoved him in there without the equivalent of a training camp. 2-3 weeks of full practice.

Oh...I meant he could do a full contact practice as soon as today (per ESPN). Not that he'd be playing in a game as soon as today. sounds like he is still having a hard time cutting (mentally).