2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:21 PM)
Explain the lack of quality big men, if every generation is bigger and faster, then why no 7 foot freaks of nature like Shaq. Wouldn't we have a plethora of big men?

Prime Dwight Howard can't touch KAJ, Shaq, the Dream, DRobinson etc.

Because now the league has 6'10" freaks like Kevin Durant who can run with anyone and score from anywhere past half court.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
I said that players progress. One generation is better than the one before it.

And I disagree with this. Look at how guys like Garnett and Duncan are doing in today's NBA. They are considered two of the best Centers. Hell, a 36 year old Duncan has a higher PER right now than he did at the age of 24. His PER 36 minutes are pretty much in line with his career stats (Garnetts aren't too far off either). Now look at how guys like Hakeem and David Robinson aged (when the league was stronger). A very clear dip in production. Those are just a couple of examples.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
And I disagree with this. Look at how guys like Garnett and Duncan are doing in today's NBA. They are considered two of the best Centers. Hell, a 36 year old Duncan has a higher PER right now than he did at the age of 24. His PER 36 minutes are pretty much in line with his career stats (Garnetts aren't too far off either). Now look at how guys like Hakeem and David Robinson aged (when the league was stronger). A very clear dip in production. Those are just a couple of examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_hormone :P

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)

The center position is dead, and the easiest to take apart. Do the same comparison at PG now.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)
I'll give you that LeBron is bigger and stronger, but I don't buy for a minute that LeBron is faster, a better shooter and definitely not a better defender. Jordan's first step is as fast as anybody's that's ever played the game. LeBron does not nearly have the jumper that Jordan developed during his first retirement. Calling LeBron a better defender kinda makes me laugh. Jordan had multiple 200 steal / 100 block seasons. Lebron has not done either one of those things in any season, let alone in the same season.

I totally agree with you. People forget how great Jordan actually was at times. Pick up a Jordan DVD and watch game footage. Defensively he was outstanding, offensively he had probably the quickest first step and concurrent acceleration than anyone in history including LeBron.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
The center position is dead, and the easiest to take apart. Do the same comparison at PG now.

Magic Johnson? Prime Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway would pretty easily be in the top 3 PGs in today's era also. Kevin Johnson would be an absolute monster in this era. A prime Mark Price would be good in this era too.

And the center position is dead because there are no more good ones coming out. Dwight was considered a center and when he was good he was considered a top 3 player in the league (probably even top 2) because of how dominant he was. Now put someone with Dwight's defensive skills and a plethora of offensive skills on top of that (Olajuwan). How valuable would he be?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Magic Johnson? Prime Kevin Johnson and Tim Hardaway would pretty easily be in the top 3 PGs in today's era also. Kevin Johnson would be an absolute monster in this era. A prime Mark Price would be good in this era too.

And the center position is dead because there are no more good ones coming out. Dwight was considered a center and when he was good he was considered a top 3 player in the league (probably even top 2) because of how dominant he was. Now put someone with Dwight's defensive skills and a plethora of offensive skills on top of that (Olajuwan). How valuable would he be?

The PGs of today would kill that bunch. Same with the 3/4's

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)

Yikes, maybe. There were some great PG's back there, but they are obviously more physically gifted nowadays. I would still take Isiah Thomas and Magic over pretty much anyone these days other than D Rose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)

Solid argument. KJ was extremely athletic with a fantastic midrange game. He was also lightening quick. He couldn't be as successful as an athletic freak like Steve Nash, who was one of the better PGs in the league just last year. He's no Greivis Vasquez (who's averaging 14 pts and 9 ast). Yeah, today's PGs are just FREAKS!111!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
Yikes, maybe. There were some great PG's back there, but they are obviously more physically gifted nowadays. I would still take Isiah Thomas and Magic over pretty much anyone these days other than D Rose.

i can't believe I forgot about Zeke. Damn. Good call.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
You also have to consider how physical the game was back then. Do you think Wade would be so tough if he got body slammed by the Bad Boys? Jordan dealt with that s*** all the time.

Hand checking, opponents who werent best friends since AAU and a further out 3 point line made the game a bit more difficult.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Im not sure anyone is killing Magic.

But then again we are talking about 1 freak player who was a combination of size/athleticism that still has not really been replicated.

You mean aside from the bigger/better guy playing for the Heat right now with #6 on his jersey, right?

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:47 PM)
Solid argument. KJ was extremely athletic with a fantastic midrange game. He was also lightening quick. He couldn't be as successful as an athletic freak like Steve Nash, who was one of the better PGs in the league just last year. He's no Greivis Vasquez (who's averaging 14 pts and 9 ast). Yeah, today's PGs are just FREAKS!111!

If assists are the only numbers you use in your argument of good point guard, then your scouting of points guards is pretty awful.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)

Wait, you'd take Rose over Magic? I'm a homer and I love me some D, but prime Magic?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
You also have to consider how physical the game was back then. Do you think Wade would be so tough if he got body slammed by the Bad Boys? Jordan dealt with that s*** all the time.

Thef*ck's comparing Wade to Jordan?

I think LeBron would hold up just fine.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
And you've provided what again?

Kevin Johnson's highest PER was 23.7, and his career mark was 20.7 Chris Paul's lowest mark was 22.0, and his career mark is 25.5 (high of 30). In his second year, Kyrie Irving's PER is almost as high as KJ's best mark.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Because now the league has 6'10" freaks like Kevin Durant who can run with anyone and score from anywhere past half court.

Baloney

Gimme a prime KAJ over Durant anyday. A great center is the anchor of the defensr, grabs rebounds on the O and D and if he got offensive skills, is the most offensively efficient position.

Even in today's game, if KAJ were 18 years old today, GMs would be chomping at the bit to draft him.

and to JFL, I know you hate Russell, no one mentioned him here, lol