2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 09:31 AM)
I feel better than ever about not getting Dwight. I am just not eager to take on a personality like that. At this point, I'm much happier to have Joakim Noah, especially with the price but perhaps regardless.

Noahs yearly foot/ankle injuries are getting annoying

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
You won't find very many centers that can play 82 games.

Let alone the 39 minutes/game that Thibbs runs him out there.

Seriously, the only complaint I have about him as a coach is his inability to take the foot off the gas. He could take some notes from the opposing head coach this evening and his DNP - Old stuff.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 9, 2013 -> 06:51 PM)
When people say that I think they generally refer to the early portion of the 90s. Pre-expansion. There was still running at the time and you had wing players like Jordan, Drexler, (and to an extent Barkley, who was a post player that could play on the wing). You had good PGs in Hardaway, Stockton, Price, and KJ. Then to top it off it was the golden era for centers.

Are there any all time great centers today? How about power forwards? The game is pretty unbalanced for wing players. I do agree that it has become pretty entertaining because there are tons of storylines now, but I don't think people will ever stop saying that "everything NBA was better in the 90's" because it will always hold true.

Using 1998 as your example isn't really fair to the 90s. Maybe watch some of the early Knicks-Bulls series, or some of the early Bulls finals. You see guys like Richard Dumas (for Phoenix) running the floor and making no-look passes or going behind his back for layups. The guy averaged 16 points as a rookie and I had never even heard of him until I re-watched some old games. Look up his highlights if you get a chance.

Look, I'm only 25, so I should be biased towards today's era, but having watched a ton of old film I just can't do it. It was just a superior product.

The NBA was more fundamentally sound in the 90s, it's more athletic today. I guess it depends on what you prefer.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
The NBA was more fundamentally sound in the 90s, it's more athletic today. I guess it depends on what you prefer.

I really don't think it's that black and white. The 90s had some really good athletes too. Overall today's PGs are probably a bit more athletic (guys like Westbrook and Rose are pretty sick athletes), but the big men today tend to be less athletic.

I just looked at the rebounding leaders for this year and it goes as follows: Howard, Randolph, Vucevic, Asik, and Chandler. Howard is really the only amazing athlete in that bunch (and he's been hobbled this year). Chandler is okay, but isn't nearly as athletic as he used to be. The top 5 from 1991? Rodman, Kevin Willis, David Robinson, Mutombo, and Olajuwan. There are some pretty good athletes in that bunch. Fair to say that they were obviously more athletic than this year's leaders.

Rebounding is just a raw stat and you don't have to take it seriously if you don't want, but it does usually deal with athleticism (as well as fundamentals). You can't tell me that today's big men are better athletes than the 90s.

Also, fundamentals still win out over athleticism a good portion of the time. That's why Duncan is still so good. That's why Tony Parker is averaging 20 points a game on 53%(59.5 TS%) shooting while Westbrook is shooting 42.5% (52 TS%) with the best offensive player in the league next to him.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
I really don't think it's that black and white. The 90s had some really good athletes too. Overall today's PGs are probably a bit more athletic (guys like Westbrook and Rose are pretty sick athletes), but the big men today tend to be less athletic.

I just looked at the rebounding leaders for this year and it goes as follows: Howard, Randolph, Vucevic, Asik, and Chandler. Howard is really the only amazing athlete in that bunch (and he's been hobbled this year). Chandler is okay, but isn't nearly as athletic as he used to be. The top 5 from 1991? Rodman, Kevin Willis, David Robinson, Mutombo, and Olajuwan. There are some pretty good athletes in that bunch. Fair to say that they were obviously more athletic than this year's leaders.

Rebounding is just a raw stat and you don't have to take it seriously if you don't want, but it does usually deal with athleticism (as well as fundamentals). You can't tell me that today's big men are better athletes than the 90s.

Also, fundamentals still win out over athleticism a good portion of the time. That's why Duncan is still so good. That's why Tony Parker is averaging 20 points a game on 53%(59.5 TS%) shooting while Westbrook is shooting 42.5% (52 TS%) with the best offensive player in the league next to him.

The C has gone the way of the dodo bird. You have 6'10" forwards that move like '90 guards now. Players are bigger, stronger, and faster. I don't think the athleticism is even close.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
The C has gone the way of the dodo bird. You have 6'10" forwards that move like '90 guards now. Players are bigger, stronger, and faster. I don't think the athleticism is even close.

Who are these 6'10 forwards that move like guards? Kevin Durant and? The players are stronger now (although the average size of an NBA player hasn't really changed since the 90s) and the league as a whole is probably a little faster but I don't think that has changed all that much.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 03:56 PM)
Who are these 6'10 forwards that move like guards? Kevin Durant and? The players are stronger now (although the average size of an NBA player hasn't really changed since the 90s) and the league as a whole is probably a little faster but I don't think that has changed all that much.

And we are talking 30+ years ago having one of the best PGs (who, given, was a freak of nature himself) that was 6'9''. This kind of freak of nature has existed before.

I'm not even sure I'd say "stronger" depending on how it's being used. Weight room strength, yeah, probably so. On the court? I wouldn't be so sure. Games used to be significantly more physical and post-up play isn't emphasized as much anymore.

It's not the fact that we have a ton of those kinds of players, it's the fact we have them. IIt's an indication of where overall athleticism has gone. Soon we'll have a 7 footer that moves like a guard used to. Athletes have always progressively gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. I just so happen to think with the advances in training and nutrion that have occurred the past couple decades, the gap in athleticism between the '90s and now is probably the largest gap in sports history. Not just basketball.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
It's not the fact that we have a ton of those kinds of players, it's the fact we have them. IIt's an indication of where overall athleticism has gone. Soon we'll have a 7 footer that moves like a guard used to. Athletes have always progressively gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. I just so happen to think with the advances in training and nutrion that have occurred the past couple decades, the gap in athleticism between the '90s and now is probably the largest gap in sports history. Not just basketball.

I dont know, Detlef Schrempf had some mad handles and he was 6'10"

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 07:40 AM)
Kobe is one of the best one on one players ever. If he gets the ball in ISO, why give it up? You see the juke he gave Chalmers and got the And1?

Howard is a hack this year? WHy give him the ball on every possession? He was yelling at Nash during the game. Kobe's attitude has gotten him 5 rings. How many does Howard have>

You pass the ball because your offense becomes predictable and teams can loud up as they know you're not going to pass at least one guy the ball at all. Did Kobe make any direct passes to Dwight yesterday? He was yelling at Nash because of defensive lapses. Hell, that whole team besides Dwight were making huge gaffes on defense. And Kobe's attitude did get him 5 rings when he probably should be on #7, but his damn ego has gotten in the way.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
Howard has done nothing this season to deserve the attention you are saying he does. The Lakers cant afford to let Dwight get time to get past his little childish hissy fit that has been going on for the last two seasons. I wouldnt pass it to him either, he has been brutal this season.

Howard hasn't been great, but neither have been the rest of the Lakers. Kobe has looked good when he passed the ball, but we all know that's not his nature. If you're not going to pass him the ball when you're facing one of the worst inside teams in the league, then they shouldn't bother playing him, but rather bench him and allow Earl Clark to put up 20 shots a game. Send his ass home or trade him for some help.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 05:39 AM)
I wonder what the Bulls would have to give up. Would they take Rip plus a draft pick or something in a salary dump? Reddick would be a nice fit.

Apprently we want an expiring contract, an unprotected draft pick and someone to take on either Glen Davis, Hedo Turkoglu or Al Harrington's contract.

I don't know whether it's worth moving him from our point of view unless we at least get a top 10 pick in the deal. Redick's become a pretty damn good fit in our system.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:09 AM)
Apprently we want an expiring contract, an unprotected draft pick and someone to take on either Glen Davis, Hedo Turkoglu or Al Harrington's contract.

I don't know whether it's worth moving him from our point of view unless we at least get a top 10 pick in the deal. Redick's become a pretty damn good fit in our system.

JJ for a top 10 pick? LOL.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:09 AM)

Redick's been fine this year, but you're not dumping a s*** contract and getting a top 10 pick for him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
They were really lazy last night. The Spurs made them pay for it time and time again

Very not smart basketball. I don't know how many more times they could have dribbled into traffic and gotten their pockets picked, as well as leaving shooters on the 3 point stripe.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Uh so reading this thread I just realized I had a bad dream last night. I guess because it seemed real (just watching a basketball game) I didnt even think about it, but Rose came back and hurt his knee again.

It was pretty sad. I must be subconsciously worried.

Well, you need not worry for awhile, as now it looks like - even though he's been cleared to play in games - the Bulls have decided to make us wait until March.

.@kcjhoop just said on NBA TV that he thinks Rose will be held out into March, though an "open window" starts after AS break

I've had that recurring nightmare. We get strung along for another 3-4 seasons, hoping he gets back but he never does. Meanwhile Thibs is good enough to keep the franchise winning to the point where we're stuck in no mans land in the draft for the foreseeable future. Stuck being "good" but not "good enough."

Luckily that won't happen. Rose will come back even stronger/better than before ala Peterson. We shock Miami in the ECF and win a 7 game Finals against the Thunder.

And then we suffer through a terrible baseball season until a mediocre football season starts.