2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
I've had that recurring nightmare. We get strung along for another 3-4 seasons, hoping he gets back but he never does. Meanwhile Thibs is good enough to keep the franchise winning to the point where we're stuck in no mans land in the draft for the foreseeable future. Stuck being "good" but not "good enough."

Luckily that won't happen. Rose will come back even stronger/better than before ala Peterson. We shock Miami in the ECF and win a 7 game Finals against the Thunder.

And then we suffer through a terrible baseball season until a mediocre football season starts.

You forgot about the scheduling issue when the Stanley Cup Final and NBA Finals both need to be figured out in the same building.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:49 PM)
Very not smart basketball. I don't know how many more times they could have dribbled into traffic and gotten their pockets picked, as well as leaving shooters on the 3 point stripe.

We were in good shape until Leonard was beating our bigs on drives and going over the top of them. Deng/Gibson/Butler had woeful games.

"I don't have a set date," he said. "I'm not coming back until I'm 110%. Who knows when that can be? It can be within a couple of weeks. It could be next year. It could be any day. It could be any time. It's just that I'm not coming back until I'm ready." Rose said that "right now" he's "probably in the high 80s" when asked to give a percentage, adding that he is "far away" from a return.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
"I don't have a set date," he said. "I'm not coming back until I'm 110%. Who knows when that can be? It can be within a couple of weeks. It could be next year. It could be any day. It could be any time. It's just that I'm not coming back until I'm ready." Rose said that "right now" he's "probably in the high 80s" when asked to give a percentage, adding that he is "far away" from a return.

As an aside, I hate this phrase. Just say 100%. You can't physically give or be at 110%.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
As an aside, I hate this phrase. Just say 100%. You can't physically give or be at 110%.

I hate this as well. Anybody ever see the man show where Adam Carolla and Jimmy Kimmel went to Dodgers camp for a "tryout"? They kept telling Tommy Lasorda they were gonna give 110% and he went off on them saying you can only give 100%, there is no 110%.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Feb 11, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
It's not the fact that we have a ton of those kinds of players, it's the fact we have them. IIt's an indication of where overall athleticism has gone. Soon we'll have a 7 footer that moves like a guard used to. Athletes have always progressively gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. I just so happen to think with the advances in training and nutrion that have occurred the past couple decades, the gap in athleticism between the '90s and now is probably the largest gap in sports history. Not just basketball.

I think the difference between the mid 70's and mid 90's was a lot larger than the difference between the 90s and today. Look how skinny everyone was in the 70s. In the 90s, they hit the weight room.

I do think the NBA has become 1000 times more enjoyable vs. 8-12 years ago when many times the scores were in the 70s and 80s.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
I'm not worried about Derrick. Reinjury is almost unheard of at this point. It wouldn't blow my mind if he gets nicked up in other ways here and there from being out of playing shape, though.

Pardon my ignorance on this but what do you mean by that? Reinjuring the knee he wrecked last year is what has me worried. It's rare to reinjure a surgically repaired knee?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
I think the difference between the mid 70's and mid 90's was a lot larger than the difference between the 90s and today. Look how skinny everyone was in the 70s. In the 90s, they hit the weight room.

I do think the NBA has become 1000 times more enjoyable vs. 8-12 years ago when many times the scores were in the 70s and 80s.

That's not really saying much, the late 90's/early 2000's were horrid. All of the stars had retired/declined and there weren't nearly enough good players from the late 80's/early 90's drafts to replace them. That's the main reason they put in the hand checking rules, no one could score.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
Pardon my ignorance on this but what do you mean by that? Reinjuring the knee he wrecked last year is what has me worried. It's rare to reinjure a surgically repaired knee?

Looking at some research, the re-injury rate for ANYONE who gets ACL repair in the span of 5 or more years post-surgery is about 5%. Odds are already good, then consider that Derrick is a world class athlete with all kinds of resources and a far more vigorous rehabilitation than your average guy. Basketball isn't as unkind to ACL's as some other sports as well.

From the looks of it, it seems that his chances of re-injury are about the same that he injured it the first time -- always possible, but not likely.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
Looking at some research, the re-injury rate for ANYONE who gets ACL repair in the span of 5 or more years post-surgery is about 5%. Odds are already good, then consider that Derrick is a world class athlete with all kinds of resources and a far more vigorous rehabilitation than your average guy. Basketball isn't as unkind to ACL's as some other sports as well.

From the looks of it, it seems that his chances of re-injury are about the same that he injured it the first time -- always possible, but not likely.

Thanx, good to know that...I was always under the impression that a surgically repaired knee was more prone to reinjury, glad that's not the case.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Some media speculate that theres people in Derricks 'camp' who think he'd be better off sitting out season.

This sucks.

Derrick was quoted saying that he's nowhere near ready and that he's currently in the high 80% range in terms of progress.

It shouldn't take 3 more months for him to get those 11 or 12% should it?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 12, 2013 -> 06:35 PM)
Derrick was quoted saying that he's nowhere near ready and that he's currently in the high 80% range in terms of progress.

It shouldn't take 3 more months for him to get those 11 or 12% should it?

It might. I think this is a combination of several things. 1) Derrick's camp being too cautious. 2)Reinsdorf being cautious (he did say he wanted Jordan to sit out the year he broke his leg) and 3) Rose not trusting his knee because it doesn't feel the same as it did before he got injured. No doubt in my mind, Rose is 100% physically fit to do what he needs to do, but from all inklings, he still seems unsure.

Sitting out 16+ months for an ACL surgery is unheard of though. There's a point of being overcautious and I think everyone is guilty. They have to understand, he won't be 100% healthy(physically and mentally) until he plays.