2012-2013 NBA thread

What I don't understand about Rose is that by all reports, he is scrimmaging and dominating in practice. I know real games are an entirely different thing, but if he doesn't trust his knee enough to try it in real games, how is it he is apparently trusting it enough to practice?

I do think Steve is correct when he says Rose doesn't want to come back until he is ready to dominate. I just wonder how he's going to come to that conclusion if he hasn't yet. It's not like he's going to be able to get anything closer to real game situations in the summer than the current practices.

I also think Rose is totally misguided if he is being swayed by anyone (Adidas, his buddies, Reggie........) other than the Bulls. He should listen to them. This is the team that limited Michael Jordan, the greatest money maker of all-time. They wouldn't force him to try something before he's ready.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
What I don't understand about Rose is that by all reports, he is scrimmaging and dominating in practice. I know real games are an entirely different thing, but if he doesn't trust his knee enough to try it in real games, how is it he is apparently trusting it enough to practice?

I do think Steve is correct when he says Rose doesn't want to come back until he is ready to dominate. I just wonder how he's going to come to that conclusion if he hasn't yet. It's not like he's going to be able to get anything closer to real game situations in the summer than the current practices.

Every report I read seems to say he still feels weird going to his right. He might feel ok scrimmaging but he's probably hesistant to take a hit/get knocked to the floor when he's going that direction.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/13e5e3e03e85b77...yuig7o1_400.gif

Just a GIF file of Rose dominating in practice.

I do think that even if Rose comes back this week or next week, he should be pretty close to ready in the playoffs, because one he's dominating in the practice, and two he's been doing drills and practicing for a while now. It shouldn't take him as long as other players to get back to game shape again.

Also, I don't get all these nonsense that if Rose doesn't come back tonight or the next game, he shouldn't come back at all. We still got like 12-13 games left. Even if Rose comes back with 7 games left, he should be able to play 25 minutes by the time playoff comes. If we can play Rose those kind of minutes the first round, we should be able to hang with anyone in the first round. It also buys him some time to get into better shape for the latter part of playoffs.

He's created a tremendous amount of pressure for himself and every day he waits, the pressure to return and to perform even better when he returns grows. It's a tough spot for him, though it is almost entirely self-created.

"He'll return soon! All-Star break probably!"

"... he needs a few more days. He wants to be 110%!"

"Okay... :( At least he'll be dominant when he comes back now!"

"Okay, maybe a little longer. He wants to not only be 110%, but also find a way to impregnate his MVP trophy."

"Aww s***, his return is going to be NUTS"

"We're so sorry, he's been MVP-esque in practice and he just wants to be totally ready."

"We're going to win the 'ship if he just comes back!"

*kill self*

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
Yeah, but his "brand" is independent of his contract with the Bulls. He cannot make decisions solely for the sake of Derrick Rose, Inc. He is paid by the Bulls, and once he is medically cleared to play, he is expected to come back and play basketball for the Bulls. Obviously it is not quite that simple, but first and foremost, he works for the Bulls, not Adidas or Derrick Rose, Inc.

ADIDAS pays him more than the Bulls, though. $260 million > $94 million.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Of course, the alternative is...with "The Return" videos, the way they built up him coming back from this injury, they got fans like me who were willing and ready to be invested in his personal brand even more invested in the brand, and failing to play this year will, at least for me, devastate that good will and interest.

Basically it's the same reason I owe Steve a punch in the face now.

I've never been more invested in a player in my life. This sucks for everyone. And yeah, you should punch me.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/13e5e3e03e85b77...yuig7o1_400.gif

Just a GIF file of Rose dominating in practice.

I do think that even if Rose comes back this week or next week, he should be pretty close to ready in the playoffs, because one he's dominating in the practice, and two he's been doing drills and practicing for a while now. It shouldn't take him as long as other players to get back to game shape again.

Also, I don't get all these nonsense that if Rose doesn't come back tonight or the next game, he shouldn't come back at all. We still got like 12-13 games left. Even if Rose comes back with 7 games left, he should be able to play 25 minutes by the time playoff comes. If we can play Rose those kind of minutes the first round, we should be able to hang with anyone in the first round. It also buys him some time to get into better shape for the latter part of playoffs.

Holy s*** this post is awful. I thought Scott Merkin was the king of fluff.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
ADIDAS pays him more than the Bulls, though. $260 million > $94 million.

But his contract with Adidas is still secondary, and dependent, on him playing basketball in the NBA, and he happens to be under contract with the Bulls. I agree, more and more, these athletes become a lifestyle brand, every one of them taking a cue from the trail blazed by MJ, but they should take another cue from MJ: winning basketball games is first and foremost.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
To be fair, this is a business. Each player has to look out for himself first and foremost. Derrick Rose is an incredibly powerful brand, and if he comes back and looks like s*** (I'm not going to bring up re-injury, doctors with degrees have stated he has no more risk than anyone else) then that hurts his brand. He wants to come back at that top level. It's what we love about him, so it's hard to turn on him even though it's frustrating as hell.

And yes, my opinion on this changes daily, because I've got so much emotion invested in Derrick Rose. It's ridiculous.

And to be fair, right around that same time, the Bulls started dropping like flies.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 06:47 AM)
LMAO if true. **Reads bottom part of sig**.. makes sense. Note to posters in the future, always go with the opposite from Steven's sources/hunches/guarantees/etc./etc./etc. 11 times out of 10 you will be correct. Now, this isn't confirmed at all yet, so right now, it's 10/10 your right, but when/if it is, you'll know for sure.

Now with that said, I hope he does. Rose still has that fire and hunger. No doubt, he wants to end that Heat streak.

Derrick Rose (knee) will not play on Wednesday.

There had been some speculation that Rose would return in order to challenge the Heat's win streak, but Rose will not play and Kirk Hinrich will continue to start in his place.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)

Isn't he going to come back with a bunch of restrictions, like no back to backs? So that makes the schedule even shorter. I'm not sure why you'd throw your franchise player right into the playoffs. They're a completely different beast. If the playoffs opened today they'd play the Nets on the road, and if they get by them they get to play Miami. :) Noah might not even play again tonight he's having foot problems again.

I still hope he'll come back this season, if he doesn't I don't really think you can separate him from his brothers comments. Just seems like he weighed the pros and cons, and the best decision in his mind is to sit out. It was shocking to me that he'd miss the season, but if he does I'll be okay with it.

DROSE quotes today from KC Johnson:

DRose, on uncertainty next season if he sits this 1: "Not at all. I know the confidence I have in myself and I know I'm going to be better."

DRose, on missing Heat: "Every game is tough. Knowing that its the Heat adds on a little bit. But I have confidence in my guys and coaches."

Tough to be patient? DRose: "It’s not hard at all. When u have surgery, u have to grow patience. Ive been patient for the last 8, 9 months."

DRose on tonight being his bobblehead night: "It would’ve been perfect if I was playing but guess not."

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
Tough to be patient? DRose: "It’s not hard at all. When u have surgery, u have to grow patience. Ive been patient for the last 8, 9 months."

11, but who's counting? :angry:

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
11, but who's counting? :angry:

Ehhh, 9, 10. He's been playing for the better part of a month now. Why play in a game when you can play in practice? Not sure if you knew this or not, but he is just KILLING it in practice.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Ehhh, 9, 10. He's been playing for the better part of a month now. Why play in a game when you can play in practice? Not sure if you knew this or not, but he is just KILLING it in practice.

Oh man. He's such a beast in practice.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Steve, we better not find out that Waka Flocka is a better source than flapship

From KC Johnson:

Direct transcript: "Tom, have you heard of Waka Flocka Flame?" Thibs: "The rapper you're talking about?"

"Tom, Waka Flocka Flame's got a song called 'Hard in Da Paint.' " Thibs: "I'm for that. I like him more now."

:)

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Mar 27, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
From KC Johnson:

Direct transcript: "Tom, have you heard of Waka Flocka Flame?" Thibs: "The rapper you're talking about?"

"Tom, Waka Flocka Flame's got a song called 'Hard in Da Paint.' " Thibs: "I'm for that. I like him more now."

:)

Hahaha. So hilarious.