2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 7, 2013 -> 07:44 PM)
Yeah right...

Although I hear this Alex Kennedy guy is a lot more legit than Steve. So there's that.

Alex Kennedy is one of those dudes where his track record makes me go "HOW DO YOU HAVE SOURCES?!"

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 7, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
I get The Score in Columbia, MO. Crystal clear at night.

I miss those days. It was a big deal when the Sox switched from 1000 and I could actually listen to games in the car when needed.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 7, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
normally yes, but many stations have to power down at night to not impeed on 50,000 watt stations.

Supposedly, this is WMVP's night coverage map:

WMVP_AM_LN.gif

What exactly does this mean? Why wouldn't they be be impeding these stations during the day?

What the hell happened to this thread? Anyway, watching Thunder/Grizzlies. Kendrick Perkins is the most overpaid player in team sports relative to his production. You figure you can find guys in the D-league that could net 5 points and 5 rebounds a game. What a terrible player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2013 -> 11:42 PM)
Thunder are done. I fully expect the Grizzlies to win the west. They're the only team left with a remote shot of beating the Heat.

I don't think you can say they're done after losing just one game.

And yes Perkins is f***ing awful.

There was a point in time where Kendrick Perkins was a productive player for Boston. Now he's absolute crap.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 7, 2013 -> 11:55 PM)
I don't think you can say they're done after losing just one game.

And yes Perkins is f***ing awful.

There was a point in time where Kendrick Perkins was a productive player for Boston. Now he's absolute crap.

They've been done since Westbrook went down. There's way too much on Durant's plate right now. This isn't 1994. You get nowhere in the long run with one star.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 12:30 AM)
They've been done since Westbrook went down. There's way too much on Durant's plate right now. This isn't 1994. You get nowhere in the long run with one star.

Yes, because the 2011 Dallas mavericks never existed.

And I'm the one with the agenda.....

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 7, 2013 -> 11:23 PM)
What exactly does this mean? Why wouldn't they be be impeding these stations during the day?

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/why-am-rad...adcasting-night

Most AM radio stations are required by the FCC's rules to reduce their power or cease operating at night in order to avoid interference to other AM stations. FCC rules governing the daytime and nighttime operation of AM radio stations are a consequence of the laws of physics. Because of the way in which the relatively long wavelengths (see Footnote 1) of AM radio signals interact with the ionized layers of the ionosphere miles above the earth's surface, the propagation of AM radio waves changes drastically from daytime to nighttime. This change in AM radio propagation occurs at sunset due to radical shifts in the ionospheric layers, which persist throughout the night. During daytime hours when ionospheric reflection does not occur to any great degree, AM signals travel principally by conduction over the surface of the earth. This is known as "groundwave" propagation. Useful daytime AM service is generally limited to a radius of no more than about 100 miles (162 km), even for the most powerful stations.

Basically, the signal broadcasts farther at night than during the day for a given power level, so they have to decrease power at night so that their signal isn't interfering with other stations hundreds of miles away.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/why-am-rad...adcasting-night

Basically, the signal broadcasts farther at night than during the day for a given power level, so they have to decrease power at night so that their signal isn't interfering with other stations hundreds of miles away.

As a radio broadcasting major, I back this up.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)

One star can work if you have a very deep and effective team around him, with multiple guys who are borderline all-stars. Put a star player on the Bulls right now and they might be a legitimate threat. That just doesn't sound like the guys around Durant...they're mostly role players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:30 AM)
One star can work if you have a very deep and effective team around him, with multiple guys who are borderline all-stars. Put a star player on the Bulls right now and they might be a legitimate threat. That just doesn't sound like the guys around Durant...they're mostly role players.

Who were the borderline all stars on that Mavs team?

And I agree with your point. Durant doesn't have the pieces on that team. I was just disagreeing with J4L's one star comment and then saying it's not 1994 when the Mavs won it all with one star two years ago.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:44 AM)
Who were the borderline all stars on that Mavs team?

And I agree with your point. Durant doesn't have the pieces on that team. I was just disagreeing with J4L's one star comment and then saying it's not 1994 when the Mavs won it all with one star two years ago.

Tyson Chandler certainly qualifies.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Tyson Chandler certainly qualifies.

That's certainly your opinion. He played 27.8 minutes per night. He also averaged 8 points, 9 rebounds, and under 1 block per game in the playoffs that year. I agree that he's a good player (especially valuable because there are no good centers), but he's not great and it can be argued that he's just a role player.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2013 -> 07:09 AM)

2005: Duncan/Parker/Manu

2006: Shaq/Wade

2007: Duncan/Parker/Manu

2008: KG/Pierce/Allen

2009: Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom

2010: See 2009

2012: James/Wade/Bosh

So as you can see, 2011 was clearly an exception. And even then you had a future DPOY and perennial 6th man of the year candidate to go pair with Dirk. In today's NBA, you need 2 1/2 stars to get anywhere in this league. You didn't need that in the 90's.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
That's certainly your opinion. He played 27.8 minutes per night. He also averaged 8 points, 9 rebounds, and under 1 block per game in the playoffs that year. I agree that he's a good player (especially valuable because there are no good centers), but he's not great and it can be argued that he's just a role player.

He's equal to Ibaka in that respect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
2005: Duncan/Parker/Manu

2006: Shaq/Wade

2007: Duncan/Parker/Manu

2008: KG/Pierce/Allen

2009: Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom

2010: See 2009

2012: James/Wade/Bosh

So as you can see, 2011 was clearly an exception. And even then you had a future DPOY and perennial 6th man of the year candidate to go pair with Dirk. In today's NBA, you need 2 1/2 stars to get anywhere in this league. You didn't need that in the 90's.

Uhh, couldn't you just say that 1994 was the exception in the 90s then?

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Uhh, couldn't you just say that 1994 was the exception in the 90s then?

Not really. I look at the teams the Bulls beat in the finals and they don't compare (talent wise) to some of the teams that have lost recently in the finals (2008 Lakers, 2010 Celtics, 2012 Thunder). Those two Jazz teams were really good. That's it.

Oh yeah. Don't get me started on 1999. They just need to wipe that year from the history books.

Edited by Jordan4life