2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
2005: Duncan/Parker/Manu

2006: Shaq/Wade

2007: Duncan/Parker/Manu

2008: KG/Pierce/Allen

2009: Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Odom

2010: See 2009

2012: James/Wade/Bosh

So as you can see, 2011 was clearly an exception. And even then you had a future DPOY and perennial 6th man of the year candidate to go pair with Dirk. In today's NBA, you need 2 1/2 stars to get anywhere in this league. You didn't need that in the 90's.

Jordan - Pippen - Grant/Rodman

That's 2-1/2 stars by my calculations.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Jordan - Pippen - Grant/Rodman

That's 2-1/2 stars by my calculations.

I know that. And they never faced a team with equal talent. In the years Jordan was gone, all you needed was one star and a few role players to win/get to the finals.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
I know that. And they never faced a team with equal talent. In the years Jordan was gone, all you needed was one star and a few role players to win/get to the finals.

Yeah, none of those teams compared to the 09 Magic or the 07 Cavs.

QUOTE (Boogua @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
Yeah, none of those teams compared to the 09 Magic or the 07 Cavs.

Good call on 2007. I like to pretend that never happened. The east was horrible that year. But they were put in their place when they faced a legitimate team. 2009 Magic was a fluke.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
And I'm going to stop right now because I can see where this is going.

translation: "I said something silly and will have to defend it but will be unmercifully picked at soooooo, i'm out!"

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
translation: "I said something silly and will have to defend it but will be unmercifully picked at soooooo, i'm out!"

Um, no. We've done this multiple times. I'm not afraid of evolution. Some are. I'd much rather talk about tonight's game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)

You can't just write off 60% of the championships from the decade. The most dominant team had 2-1/2 stars. I won't even bring up Olajuwon/Drexler or Duncan/Robinson.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
Um, no. We've done this multiple times. I'm not afraid of evolution. Some are. I'd much rather talk about tonight's game.

How about the 88 and 89 Pistons? 3 Hall of Famers in Rodman, Dumars, and Thomas as well as Laimbeer and Aguirre.

Or the 86 and 87 Lakers? Magic, Abdul-Jabar, Scott, and Worthy?

The 85 Celtics had Bird, McHale, and Parish

No matter how you slice and dice it, the NBA has always been a league that is driven by its stars.

EDIT: The rest of the 80s is Lakers, Celtics, and 76ers. That 76ers team had Moses Malone and Julius Erving, two stars, plus Cheeks and Toney

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
How about the 88 and 89 Pistons? 3 Hall of Famers in Rodman, Dumars, and Thomas as well as Laimbeer and Aguirre.

Or the 86 and 87 Lakers? Magic, Abdul-Jabar, Scott, and Worthy?

The 85 Celtics had Bird, McHale, and Parish

No matter how you slice and dice it, the NBA has always been a league that is driven by its stars.

Of course. I wasn't talking about the 80's. You had 23 teams during most of the 80's. 6 team expansion and a lot of bad drafts totally diluted the 90's. The Bulls were the exception. And god damn did they take advantage. People like to talk romance the "rivalry" with the Knicks. Are you serious? That was one team, the Bulls, totally skull-f***ing the other team, the Knicks, because the talent gap was so massive. John Starks as your #2? That's just no good. Yet when MJ was gone, they damn near won the whole thing the next year. That would never happen today.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
You can seriously make the argument that the only two teams to win an NBA Championship in the last 30 years that didn't have atleast 2 stars on it were the 2004 Pistons and the 2011 Mavericks.

Considering Chandlers progression, fair to say he propelled himself to "star" status that year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 8, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
You can seriously make the argument that the only two teams to win an NBA Championship in the last 30 years that didn't have atleast 2 stars on it were the 2004 Pistons and the 2011 Mavericks.

94 Rockets. Unless you consider Sam Cassell or 2-3 year man Robert Horry a star.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 8, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
94 Rockets. Unless you consider Sam Cassell or 2-3 year man Robert Horry a star.

Ha, I was gonna say Vernon Maxwell but then I looked it up and holy hell. 13 ppg on 38% shooting. I was young those years, but I thought he was better than that.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 8, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
@FisolaNYDN

Spoelstra vs Thibodeau is really Riley vs Van Gundy all over again. Just hope Tom doesn't find himself clutching LeBron's leg for dear life

wow, really?

If Erik Spoelstra was coaching this team, we would have lost about by 20 on Monday. If Thibs was coaching the Heat, they would have beaten us by 30.

Thibs is not a perfect coach and there have been times I've thought he's blown it--but he's grown, too. He's always added a ton of wins and generally maximized our team's potential, but the way he's managed our team late in games has been exceptional. It seemed like his main weakness in the past was managing our late game situations, which was probably due to an over-reliance on Rose. We've closed games very well so far in the playoffs without anyone on the team.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 8, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)

Showing my age and lack of research, didn't realize they didn't trade for Drexler until the following season. You're obviously right, but worth mentioning is Otis Thorpe putting up 14/10 that year next to (because of) Hakeem.