2012-2013 NBA thread

If Houston offers Kevin Martin, Royce White, Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, Toronto's future 1st, another 1st rounder plus the picks they acquired for Marcus Camby, I cannot see how on earth you would take Brook Lopez with a bad foot on a max contract (5/75) plus 3 late 1st rounders.

Right now, they're the team who can offer Orlando the best assets.

All I'm hoping for currently is that Rob Hennigan is playing New Jersey the way Masai Ujiri did with Carmelo to get NYK to offer more, which they eventually did.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that none of these teams are willing to take on a pouty Dwight for one season while giving up assets. The Lakers would be moronic to trade Bynum for Dwight without knowing if Dwight will extend, because then they wind up with no center, AND Bynum has a very short list of teams he would consider an extension with - the Rockets, Mavericks and Cavaliers.

This is the way of the NBA. Players approaching free agency aren't going to sign extensions just to help their team complete a deal. It's unfortunate that Dwight has handled things so poorly with his indecision - it's completely within his rights to enter free agency after playing for the Magic for 8 seasons. He's just been a child in doing so.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 9, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Hes not going to want to stick around in Orlando, and they will end up getting nothing at all for Howard. At least with the proposed deal out there they have a CHANCE to hit on a draft pick, which is more than having one pointless season of Andrew Bynum then nothing.

Whose to say Bynum doesn't stay? Worse case you get full expiring and can always deal Bynum at the deadline to a contending team. All I know is, this is a star driven league and the Magic aren't going to get a star back in these proposed trades. They'll have to find one another way and they very well can (people like going there in free agency).

And to whomever said Bynum isn't a star, they must not have watched the dude play this year. I think the guy is a total punk, but he's one dominating center and this past year was the best center in the league. He's still incredibly young and works incredibly hard (despite all his major issues, the dude was in tremendous shape and he's taken major steps forward each of the past couple years when he's on the court).

Here's a question. What about the Bulls getting into business with the Lakers on a deal that would send Bynum to the Bulls and Howard to the Magic. Use Noah as the primary bait plus get some of these other teams involved. I'm not saying I have a great idea, but getting Bynum and finding a way to resign him would be a major coup for a guy like Rose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Andrew Bynum, who will only extend with the Lakers, Rockets, Mavericks and Cavaliers.

That is extend. You can still take your chances and hope he changes his mind. He didn't say he won't sign in Orlando ever. Just said he wouldn't extend right away.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
And to whomever said Bynum isn't a star, they must not have watched the dude play this year. I think the guy is a total punk, but he's one dominating center and this past year was the best center in the league. He's still incredibly young and works incredibly hard (despite all his major issues, the dude was in tremendous shape and he's taken major steps forward each of the past couple years when he's on the court).

I agree with this entire paragraph. Bynum is a monster and the definitive 2nd best center in the NBA. He's certainly a knucklehead, as evidenced by his random decision to start shooting 3's last year for a couple game stretch, but he's a monster.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
That is extend. You can still take your chances and hope he changes his mind. He didn't say he won't sign in Orlando ever. Just said he wouldn't extend right away.

And to me this is still better then getting Brook Lopez on a max deal and a bum foot. I realize Bynum has injury issues too, but they aren't in the same league when healthy. Worse case, you clear a bunch of cap space if you don't resign Bynum (and you could still do a S&T).

Someone drill their GM over the head and remind him he is trading a HoF center and top 5 NBA player in his prime.

You don't get back Brook f***ing Lopez on a max deal, 4 other players ranging from awful to useless and multiple draft picks that will be buried at the end of the first round.

I agree with this entire paragraph. Bynum is a monster and the definitive 2nd best center in the NBA. He's certainly a knucklehead, as evidenced by his random decision to start shooting 3's last year for a couple game stretch, but he's a monster.

Sure is. But he ain't no super star

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
Someone drill their GM over the head and remind him he is trading a HoF center and top 5 NBA player in his prime.

You don't get back Brook f***ing Lopez on a max deal, 4 other players ranging from awful to useless and multiple draft picks that will be buried at the end of the first round.

The Lopez thing I agree, but getting some scrubs and some 1st round picks that you can trade for lottery picks is better than letting the guy walk and getting zero for it at the end of this year (plus all the drama that he'll bring this entire season).

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
Sure is. But he ain't no super star

I'm going to go ahead and declare 18.7/11.8, with 2 blocks, low turnovers, and 56% from the field and 70% from the line a "superstar".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
The Lopez thing I agree, but getting some scrubs and some 1st round picks that you can trade for lottery picks is better than letting the guy walk and getting zero for it at the end of this year (plus all the drama that he'll bring this entire season).

Obviously that is better than letting him walk but it doesn't mean its the best possible deal available.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:10 AM)
Obviously that is better than letting him walk but it doesn't mean its the best possible deal available.

I'd rather let him walk than be stuck with Brook Lopez on a max contract.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
I haven't heard of any better offers.

Then in that case I think letting him walk > Brook Lopez on a max deal, crippling contract.

And I'm sure the Lakers and Rockets have SOME offer that has been on the table.

Risking acquiring an injury-risk, poor rebounding, low D presence max contract center in order to gain LATE first round draft picks is pretty dicey.

Edited by WHarris1

I'm going to go ahead and declare 18.7/11.8, with 2 blocks, low turnovers, and 56% from the field and 70% from the line a "superstar".

Thats all on your definition of a superstar. Bynum is no household name. Your grandma doesn't know who Bynum is.

To me, there are only 2 superstars in the league: Kobe and Lebron. Everyone else is just a star.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
Thats all on your definition of a superstar. Bynum is no household name. Your grandma doesn't know who Bynum is.

To me, there are only 2 superstars in the league: Kobe and Lebron. Everyone else is just a star.

My grandma doesn't know who Dwight Howard is - I'd venture she'd raise an eyebrow to the names Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

Also, you only define the league as having two superstars, you are a crazy little boy.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Then in that case I think letting him walk > Brook Lopez on a max deal, crippling contract.

Risking acquiring an injury-risk, poor rebounding, low D presence max contract center in order to gain LATE first round draft picks is pretty dicey.

Lakers and Rockets aren't making a deal without Howard promising that he'll resign. He started this crap about only signing an extension with the Nets, which is why half the league needs to be involved to get the numbers to work out.

Even if the Lopez contract is an albatross (it will be), if you can get enough pieces to get another lottery pick then you've done pretty well for yourself. They'll suck for a few years, draft well, get the next superstar big man and be in this same position in 10 years.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)

I don't know about the Lakers, but the Rockets seemed to have moved on with all of their FA offers.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)

Superstars:

Kobe

LeBron

Dwight

Rose

Wade

Melo

Griffin

Durant

At the very least, Rose and Durant are superstars for sure. Durant is the second best player and Rose is second in jersey sales.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Even if the Lopez contract is an albatross (it will be), if you can get enough pieces to get another lottery pick then you've done pretty well for yourself. They'll suck for a few years, draft well, get the next superstar big man and be in this same position in 10 years.

Or let him walk and get a trade exception and tons of cap space. That has more value than Brook f***ing Lopez.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Superstars:

Kobe

LeBron

Dwight

Rose

Wade

Melo

Griffin

Durant

At the very least, Rose and Durant are superstars for sure. Durant is the second best player and Rose is second in jersey sales.

greg 2.0/RZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZA does not agree. His grandmother has only heard of Kobe and LeBron.