2012-2013 NBA thread

I don't see them turning Luke Walton, Armon Johnson, Shelden William, Damion James, 2 draft picks all but guaranteed to be later than 25, and another 1st all but guaranteed to be later than 20 into any sort of superstar or even anything better than a late lottery pick.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superstars:

Kobe

LeBron

Dwight

Rose

Wade

Melo

Griffin

Durant

At the very least, Rose and Durant are superstars for sure. Durant is the second best player and Rose is second in jersey sales.

Jesus, you really like to hand out the term 'superstar' like candy, don't you? I'm much more stingy with it.

greg 2.0/RZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZA does not agree. His grandmother has only heard of Kobe and LeBron.

seriously? Seriously? You're making fun of me now because I have a different definition of 'superstar' than you?

Grow up

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
I sooo wish the Bulls would take a chance on him with this in mind.

Yeah, but then you are out Joakim Noah and you are truly, truly building from the ground up around a 25 year old Derrick Rose if/when he's back to full health. That's hard to do.

I'd love to ditch Deng and other s*** (Mirotic, who would make more sense financially for the Magic moving forward), the Bobcats' pick, and Taj Gibson, but I do feel you have to keep Noah around to play with Derrick and whatever other players you can find 2-3 years down the road.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
seriously? Seriously? You're making fun of me now because I have a different definition of 'superstar' than you?

Grow up

That wasn't making fun, it was pointing out exactly what you typed. I do not agree with you, however. If you don't define Kevin Durant as an NBA superstar (you know, guy who has won 3 consecutive scoring titles), then your definition is whack.

To me, a superstar is someone who non-NBA fans know. Their name is known in Asia, in the Middle East, in Europe and in South America. They're bigger than the NBA.

Guys like Durant and Griffin are great players but they're not bigger than the NBA, they're not household names.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Yeah, but then you are out Joakim Noah and you are truly, truly building from the ground up around a 25 year old Derrick Rose if/when he's back to full health. That's hard to do.

I'd love to ditch Deng and other s*** (Mirotic, who would make more sense financially for the Magic moving forward), the Bobcats' pick, and Taj Gibson, but I do feel you have to keep Noah around to play with Derrick and whatever other players you can find 2-3 years down the road.

Just on principle I feel some revulsion at this concept because I think it's a great path to a 5-8 seed every year, with no cap space to make a big move and no lottery pick as well.

But then, I'm not sure I see any way to avoid that.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
To me, a superstar is someone who non-NBA fans know. Their name is known in Asia, in the Middle East, in Europe and in South America. They're bigger than the NBA.

Guys like Durant and Griffin are great players but they're not bigger than the NBA, they're not household names.

I think you have no idea how popular Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, and Derrick Rose are, especially in Asia.

Rose outsold LeBron in Asia.

And everywhere else that's not Latin America.

By your definition, Rose > LeBron in terms of superstar.

Trust me -- if you pair up Rose and Bynum, soon everyone will know Bynum's name.

The reason Bynum isn't as well known is because he's young, he has Kobe, Pau, Metta, etc on his team, and he hasn't been traded to Chicago yet. Getting involved with a trade that would make some see him becoming part of a "Big 2" or something like that would jettison his notoriety.

I think you have no idea how popular Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, and Derrick Rose are, especially in Asia.

To me a super star is, like...Babe Ruth, Pele, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Wayne Gretzky.

Rose sells a lot of jerseys, I get why people consider him a super star but I don't agree. No biggie, we can move on from this conversation now ;)

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
To me a super star is, like...Babe Ruth, Pele, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Wayne Gretzky.

Rose sells a lot of jerseys, I get why people consider him a super star but I don't agree. No biggie, we can move on from this conversation now ;)

Those are "legends".

So you consider Kris Humphries a superstar?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)

I think with the season we are looking at this year, it wouldn't have been a bad move to get much younger, especially with the pieces we have on the horizon. Outside of that, I think the shot at moving pieces for Howard and trying to convince him to stay here for a year is the best route to a title in the near future. Now they are stuck in the middle.

Can I have my opinion? I think I'm entitled to it. Durant is a star player, Rose is a star player, Dwight is a star player, Bynum is a star player...but I'm a little bit stingier with my definition of SUPER star.

Sue me

@WojYahooNBA

Cleveland is out as a third-team trade partner in a possible Orlando-Brooklyn deal for Dwight Howard, sources tell Y! Sports.

@WojYahooNBA

If Brooklyn and Orlando are to make a deal for Howard in near-term, it will likely be a trade between the two teams, sources tell Y! Sports.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

This is gonna drag on for months, isn't it? lol

On an aside, why are people so high on MarShon Brooks? I don't see what the big deal is. All he does is shoot and he's inefficient at it. He's skinny and wiry, he doesn't have a good dribble penetration game, he's not a good defender and doesn't even have the physique for it, he's not a good playmaker....