2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 01:49 PM)
I totally disagree. If Indy wins gm 1, it doesn't necessarily mean Indy would've won gm 2 like it played out. Miami always had control of the series, either one game up or tied and Indy's best chance at taking control, gm3 going home tied 1-1, they got destroyed.

I never had the impression Indy could win this series, TBH.

Miami outplayed them when it counted, no doubt about that, but it wasn't a sweep. Indiana had their chance and blew it. I just don't think, given how Indiana and Chicago will be next season, that Miami is a shoe-in for the Finals every year.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
3 out of Miami's 4 victories were by double figures and Indiana never had a chance in any of those games. They definitely didn't outplay Miami in that series.

Only 2 of of those games were real blow outs though. And Indiana had one of their own. The rest were tight until the final minutes.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Only 2 of of those games were real blow outs though. And Indiana had one of their own. The rest were tight until the final minutes.

Indiana never got Miami's lead below 8 in the 4th quarter of game 5 and Miami led by double figures for the last 8 minutes. That game may not have been a blowout but it also wasn't competitive.

It's over guys. Miami beat Indiana. The better team won.

Stop re-hashing it.

I don't see how the Heat could ever hope to have a chance against a team with the depth of the Spurs. Splitter is the type who is just going to dominate them them off the bench, and the Spurs have weapons all the way down the bench.

Spurs in 6.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)

Stop re-hashing it.

I don't see how the Heat could ever hope to have a chance against a team with the depth of the Spurs. Splitter is the type who is just going to dominate them them off the bench, and the Spurs have weapons all the way down the bench.

Spurs in 6.

God I hope you're right.

I'll go the "team that has the best player wins" route. Heat in 7. Bosh has a "good" series (can't be worse unless he's hurt?), Wade continues to be garbage and LeBron wins his second FMVP in a row and ESPN starts touting him as GOAT.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I have no doubts that Miami will win this series. You either have to have freak athletes or play really physical against the Heat to have a chance. SA won't do either. They will try to out execute them, but again, when you have the best players on the floor, you don't have to be perfect. SA would have to play a perfect series to have a chance, and based on that match ups, I just don't see them having enough to do it. Miami in 6.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
Indiana outplayed the Heat for the majority of the series, including a game or two that were lost. They definitely showed they belong in future contenders conversations. If Miami will remain this vulnerable with bad Bosh, bad Wade, it's all a toss-up.

It will get really interesting when the Pacers get Granger back. That gives them two great scorers to go along with their role players. In a way, the Pacers really benefited from that injury as other guys got a chance to step up at the NBA level.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)

Stop re-hashing it.

Spurs in 6.

Splitter started 58 games this season and 11 of the 12 games he's played in the post-season (he missed some time against the Warriors due to an ankle sprain). Their usual bench is Manu, Gary Neal, Matt Bonner, Corey Joseph and Boris Diaw.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
God I hope you're right.

I'll go the "team that has the best player wins" route. Heat in 7. Bosh has a "good" series (can't be worse unless he's hurt?), Wade continues to be garbage and LeBron wins his second FMVP in a row and ESPN starts touting him as GOAT.

That would be terrible.

Here's a more interesting argument: how much higher in the list of greats would Duncan rise if he manages to win another title? Or if he wins another title AND wins finals MVP (unlikely, but possible)?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Splitter started 58 games this season and 11 of the 12 games he's played in the post-season (he missed some time against the Warriors due to an ankle sprain). Their usual bench is Manu, Gary Neal, Matt Bonner, Corey Joseph and Boris Diaw.

Ah yes, of course. He and Duncan will still have a field day. Splitter averaged 12.5/9.5 in 28 minutes against the Heat this season. Meanwhile, Tim Duncan only played one game, but had 17/12 with 2 blocks.

I don't believe that this series will even be close.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)
Ah yes, of course. He and Duncan will still have a field day. Splitter averaged 12.5/9.5 in 28 minutes against the Heat this season. Meanwhile, Tim Duncan only played one game, but had 17/12 with 2 blocks.

I'll lean towards the Heat until proven otherwise...but I'm really interested to see how the Spurs execute out of the gate. I'm used to seeing what a Thibs coached team can do with a couple days to prepare for an opponent; the Spurs might have paid a little attention to the Pacers, but they knew when they finished their series they needed to prepare for the Heat...and they have something of a quality coach.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)

Neither matchup was remotely meaningful this season. The Spurs benched like their entire team in the first matchup while the Heat rested Lebron and Wade in the other (both of which were Heat wins by the way).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
I have no doubts that Miami will win this series. You either have to have freak athletes or play really physical against the Heat to have a chance. SA won't do either. They will try to out execute them, but again, when you have the best players on the floor, you don't have to be perfect. SA would have to play a perfect series to have a chance, and based on that match ups, I just don't see them having enough to do it. Miami in 6.

I wouldn't go this far either. If Wade and Bosh continue to suck, the window is open. The Spurs are much better than any team they've faced other than OKC last year. Duncan and Splitter could cause similar problems to Indiana, they're a good shooting team, and Parker is playing phenomenal right now. Lebron's the best player in the series, but the Spurs could easily have the next two with better role players than the Heat.

I could really see this going either way. I'd be shocked if it ends in 5, and my leanings would be Miami winning in 7 on their home floor.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
I wouldn't go this far either. If Wade and Bosh continue to suck, the window is open. The Spurs are much better than any team they've faced other than OKC last year. Duncan and Splitter could cause similar problems to Indiana, they're a good shooting team, and Parker is playing phenomenal right now. Lebron's the best player in the series, but the Spurs could easily have the next two with better role players than the Heat.

I could really see this going either way. I'd be shocked if it ends in 5, and my leanings would be Miami winning in 7 on their home floor.

If the Heat had finished their series in 4, I'd have been very annoyed at the fact that Wade got some extra rest. Instead, he has had zero extra rest. That's a positive.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 03:52 PM)
That would be terrible.

Here's a more interesting argument: how much higher in the list of greats would Duncan rise if he manages to win another title? Or if he wins another title AND wins finals MVP (unlikely, but possible)?

Of course it would be terrible but this is ESPN we're talking about, Hyperbole Central. It's the network that kept shoving a garbage QB like Tebow down our throats FFS.

About Duncan, if you're scenario plays out, of course he should move up the GOAT list, that would be 4 FMVPs and undefeated in 5 Finals series, he would even crack the top 6 IMO (MJ, Magic, KAJ, Wilt, Bird and Russell...in no particular order).

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)
Of course it would be terrible but this is ESPN we're talking about, Hyperbole Central. It's the network that kept shoving a garbage QB like Tebow down our throats FFS.

About Duncan, if you're scenario plays out, of course he should move up the GOAT list, that would be 4 FMVPs and undefeated in 5 Finals series, he would even crack the top 6 IMO (MJ, Magic, KAJ, Wilt, Bird and Russell...in no particular order).

Duncan's better than three of those guys now (possibly 4).

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:56 PM)

This season has done a ton to cement Duncan's legacy, title or no.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)

Is it really a debate at this point that Parker and Duncan are the 2nd and 3rd best players in this series?

But yes, I agree Heat in 7. Though this is only the 3rd series in the Lebron era that I actually think/thought the Heat had a chance to lose.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
Is it really a debate at this point that Parker and Duncan are the 2nd and 3rd best players in this series?

But yes, I agree Heat in 7. Though this is only the 3rd series in the Lebron era that I actually think/thought the Heat had a chance to lose.

Well, based on how they played in their respective conference finals, no. Wade was excellent most of the year though and at least showed some life in game 7.

ESPN: LeBron is easily close enough to overtake Jordan for GOAT.

Also, I hate when they use assists and rebounds as an argument against Jordan.

So a guard who played off-ball until it was clutch time has less rebounds and assists than a forward who plays the point? No s***? The one season Jordan played point he averaged 32.5/8/8. That's better than BronBron.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 4, 2013 -> 11:57 PM)
ESPN: LeBron is easily close enough to overtake Jordan for GOAT.

Also, I hate when they use assists and rebounds as an argument against Jordan.

So a guard who played off-ball until it was clutch time has less rebounds and assists than a forward who plays the point? No s***? The one season Jordan played point he averaged 32.5/8/8. That's better than BronBron.

I don't really care about rebounds. A 6'8 260 pound F is supposed to be a better rebounder than a 6'6 215 pound SG. But LeBron is no doubt a better passer and has better court awareness than MJ. Jordan: wait for the double team, find the open man. LeBron can do that and run an offense (ala Magic).

Edited by Jordan4life