2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
They only surprisingly made it to the Western Conference Finals after trading their highest paid player. NBD.

Word has it that John Hollinger didn't get along with him.

Bernstein was talking about this a week back, I think. Apparently, Hollinger wants to bring in a metrics-savvy coach.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
They only surprisingly made it to the Western Conference Finals after trading their highest paid player. NBD.

That coaching move and the George Karl one are a little weird to me. I realize Denver lost, but Gallinari was out and Faried missed a game too. Reading rotoworld, it sounds like both might hire from within. I guess that kind of makes sense for Denver since they supposedly weren't happy with his lineups (they wanted more McGee and Fornier, less Miller), other than the fact they fired one of the best coaches in the league.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
That coaching move and the George Karl one are a little weird to me. I realize Denver lost, but Gallinari was out and Faried missed a game too. Reading rotoworld, it sounds like both might hire from within. I guess that kind of makes sense for Denver since they supposedly weren't happy with his lineups (they wanted more McGee and Fornier, less Miller), other than the fact they fired one of the best coaches in the league.

I really didn't get the Karl firing at all. I don't think you want Javale playing more than 20 minutes a night. 20 might be a perfect amount of minutes for him. He's like a platoon player in baseball. Too many minutes and you see that he's basketball stupid, but with just the right amount, he's a very good player. The numbers show this. He's put up very efficient shooting numbers since he's had a more limited role in Denver.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
I really didn't get the Karl firing at all. I don't think you want Javale playing more than 20 minutes a night. 20 might be a perfect amount of minutes for him. He's like a platoon player in baseball. Too many minutes and you see that he's basketball stupid, but with just the right amount, he's a very good player. The numbers show this. He's put up very efficient shooting numbers since he's had a more limited role in Denver.

But they gave him $10 million a year! That must mean he's good!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
Did Denver give him that contract? I thought he came with it from DC

From basketball reference:

Acquired March 15, 2012: As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Washington Wizards with Ronny Turiaf to the Denver Nuggets; the Denver Nuggets traded Nene to the Washington Wizards; the Los Angeles Clippers traded Brian Cook and a 2015 2nd round draft pick to the Washington Wizards; and the Washington Wizards traded Nick Young to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Signed July 18, 2012 for an assumed $44,000,000 for 4 years.

So it's actually $11 million!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 10, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
Whoa

Terrible move. Apparently was bumping heads w/ Hollinger and the FO. He said he was hardly even spoken to about an extension or even given clarity on whether he will be their coach.

Man, Dennis Rodman is a bigger f***in' moron than I ever thought. I'm looking at some of the numbers high-scoring small forwards put up during the 80's. What the f***? Benard King, Alex English, Kiki Vndeweghe, Adrian Dantley. lol. They were shooting like 55% from the field (lol@hand-checking). Defense in the 80's was non-existent. It was a whole lot of lay-up drills and uncontested jumpers. Nobody even challenged shots in the 80's outside of Detroit and maybe 3 other teams. LeBron would've averaged 45 ppg in the 80's.

Rodman was part of a new breed of super long athletic SF. But yeah. The idea that defense was way better in 80s is ridiculous. We get it guys, the bulls were great in 90s and you watched them then, therefore 90s was soooo much better.

The league obviously has some of the worst C offensive talent in a long while. It's peculiar, but I think may be caused by tall kids wanting to stay at guard for as long as possible in their development. And why not, when your star wings are 6'10 and 6'8. As a result, aren't a lot of those beautiful post moves.

On the other hand, the sheer speed, body control, and power of the wings and guards driving is incredible. On top of that you have a return of unique team personalities that seemed to fade in early 00s where everyone seemed to be the same crappy crap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 07:49 AM)
Comcast SportsNet ‏@CSNChicago 8h

The hobbled #Bulls will get rest this offseason, and the team may change its conditioning methods: http://bit.ly/19jIhcV #BullsTalk

The first chip in Thibs' armor. The clock has started ticking on bringing a championship to the city, regardless of regular season accomplishments.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 9, 2013 -> 04:05 AM)
The 90's Stars:

PG: Payton, Stockton, Hardaway, Johnson, Price

SG: Jordan, Drexler, Dumars, Richmond, Miller

SF: Pippin, Hill, Wilkins, Mullin, Schrempf

PF: Malone, Barkley, Rodman, Kemp, Grant

C: Olajuwon, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq, Robinson

To say that LeBron would be a third team All-NBA with Pippin, Hill, Malone, and Barkley is not THAT outrageous.

'90s