2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:38 PM)
You should take your own advice. The league pace this year was 92. The year before it was 91.3. In 2010/11, it was 92.1. Here are the yearly league pace totals for the 90's...

90-91: 97.8

91-92: 96.6

92-93: 96.8

93-94: 95.1

94-95: 92.9

95-96: 91.8

96-97: 90.1

97-98: 90.3

98-99: 88.9

So for the majority of the Bulls' era, the NBA was comparable or faster than the current league.

So as each year went by the pace went down every year to the pathetic '99 season. So the game got slower and slower and the expansion thinned out the

talent.

Edit. I'll concede '90 to '93. But '94 on, s*** was ugly.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
So as each year went by the pace went down every year to the pathetic '99 season. So the game got slower and slower and the expansion thinned out the

talent.

Edit. I'll concede '90 to '93. But '94 on, s*** was ugly.

For about the 40th time, no one ever argued that the league was great in the late 90's. Notice I said "Bulls era", which ended in 97-98. And if 94-96 was a "snail-like pace", so is the current NBA.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
For about the 40th time, no one ever argued that the league was great in the late 90's. Notice I said "Bulls era", which ended in 97-98. And if 94-96 was a "snail-like pace", so is the current NBA.

I'll say this much. Let the league move the line in as they did from '95 through '97 today and my goodness. Those three years in particular deserve an asterisk.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
I'll say this much. Let the league move the line in as they did from '95 through '97 today and my goodness. Those three years in particular deserve an asterisk.

How does the 3-point distance have anything to do with the pace? :huh:

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)
How does the 3-point distance have anything to do with the pace? :huh:

Nothing. I'm just saying PPG would be higher. I don't recall you (not saying you're lying) saying the late 90's sucked. I know for damn sure booqua has never said that. Or at least I've never seen it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)
Nothing. I'm just saying PPG would be higher. I don't recall you (not saying you're lying) saying the late 90's sucked. I know for damn sure booqua has never said that. Or at least I've never seen it.

Okay, now I'm absolutely convinced you don't actually read anything. I've consistently used "late 90's/early 2000's" and words like "garbage" in the same sentence.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:02 PM)

It's Boogua, and I've never argued for the late 90s. I've never said that they sucked, but if you ever notice when I talk about the 90s it's pretty much always the early 90s.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
How about we get back to making fun of Lebron for doing his best Hedo Turkoglu impersonation?

I just don't know what happens with him. He shows the ability to absolutely dominate, but this is his second finals where he is severely underperforming. It seems like he has lost a decent amount of confidence in his jumper.

For me the peak of the NBA was the late 80s and early 90s. Best combination of skills, size and athletic ability of any era. The elite center going extinct is one of the saddest things about the state of basketball. Post play is a pathetic joke today.

Late 90's and early 00's were horrible. A combination of physical play and diminishment of fundamental basketball skills led to very ugly basketball. So of course they changed the rules: def. 3 seconds, took away the centers, eliminated hand checking, ect, ect to artificially inflate scoring again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
lol. hold up. So the argument for all these months has been half the 90's vs today? I always thought the argument was the entire decade. whatever.

Are you counting 2000-2005 when you're talking about the league "right now?" I kinda doubt it. If you are, then awesome, I can start making fun of Stephon Marbury, Baron Davis and Steve Francis.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:11 PM)
I just don't know what happens with him. He shows the ability to absolutely dominate, but this is his second finals where he is severely underperforming. It seems like he has lost a decent amount of confidence in his jumper.

I don't get it either. It's like he worked so hard to prune the bad shots from his repertoire that he doesn't know what to do when he can't get to the rim anymore. Normally I'd say that's a really good thing, but with his teammates not playing like stars he should probably try a little harder to score. Yes, I know I sound like your typical meathead typing that.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:11 PM)

Pop is daring LeBron to shoot, they are sagging off him big time. I've always though that if you had to pock your poison, take away his driving lanes to avoid him going to the hole, I'd much rather have him shooting 18 footers. I have no idea why LeBron just doesn't go in the post though.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:13 PM)
Are you counting 2000-2005 when you're talking about the league "right now?" I kinda doubt it. If you are, then awesome, I can start making fun of Stephon Marbury, Baron Davis and Steve Francis.

No. But you have to remember. I'm the outcast here. I'm the one going up against like 20 people. So maybe I didn't notice you were the only arguing up until '94 or '95.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
No. But you have to remember. I'm the outcast here. I'm the one going up against like 20 people. So maybe I didn't notice you were the only arguing up until '94 or '95.

More like 89-ish (towards the end of Celtics/Lakers) to 97 or so (before all your superstars drafted in the mid-80's like Hakeem, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, ect started to retire/see a drastic drop in production). The late 80's/early 90's drafts kinda sucked and KG started the high schooler wave in 95.

I would make a similar distinction around 2007 when you had the first two super teams and the guys from the stronger 2003 and on drafts started hitting their peaks. That "dividing line" is a lot messier though because a bunch of people drafted in the 90's (KG, Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, Pierce to name a few) are still going strong. League quality is definitely higher than early 2000's though, so there's a distinction somewhere.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
Not that I mind. But while he continues to do this, we need to slow down (or preferably stop altogether) the MJ comparisos.

I'll never do it again if he doesn't play to his MVP self and they lose this series. If he bounces back and they still lose? Then we'll see. This will potentially be the 4th time in his career he's lost in the playoffs with home-court advantage. I cut him some slack in '09 and '10 because of the sewage he had around him.

Just read this on ESPN: "The errant jumper has become a running issue for James in the series. Over the 18 games that comprise his NBA Finals career, LeBron has shot 25 percent outside the restricted area. Strange as it sounds, LeBron shot best in 2011, when he hit 34.4 percent of his tries outside the restricted zone." This just sounds like it can't be right. Holy choke job.