2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 11:10 PM)
lol. hold up. So the argument for all these months has been half the 90's vs today? I always thought the argument was the entire decade. whatever.

You are so full of s***. It'd be sad if it weren't hilarious!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
That would be par for the course with the Heat's luck.
Doesn't sound quite as bad here:

Parker said he couldn't remember any specific play on which he injured himself, but the "weird feeling" got progressively worse in the third quarter and he decided to come out of the game.

"We'll see," Parker said. "We'll get an MRI tomorrow, and hopefully it's nothing big and it's just a hamstring that got tight on me."

Asked whether he thought he'd be able to play in Game 4, Parker said he really wouldn't know until the results of the MRI came back.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)
Hilarious is that short-bus Conor Gillaspie thread you created. Good stuff there.

Sigh. You're too old to use a term like "short bus".

Also, Pale Hose Talk is ridiculous. They are grasping at straws. Someone had to bring a little reality to that forum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
Fuel for the fire on LeBron. His career finals PPG, FG%, 3pt% and TO/G rates are all the worst in the NBA final rounds when compared to any of the other playoff rounds averages or regular season averages.

I know the best are supposed to step up and dominate and whatever, but to some degree, this makes sense. I mean, he's playing the best team in the Western Conference which, for the most part, is usually the best or second best team in the league at that current moment. They know how to win. He should struggle to some extent.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
I know the best are supposed to step up and dominate and whatever, but to some degree, this makes sense. I mean, he's playing the best team in the Western Conference which, for the most part, is usually the best or second best team in the league at that current moment. They know how to win. He should struggle to some extent.

If the finals numbers I am getting are right, Jordan averaged 3 more PPG, shot 18 percentage points worse from the field, shot 40 percentage points better from 3, and averages .3 less TO/G in the NBA finals.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
If the finals numbers I am getting are right, Jordan averaged 3 more PPG, shot 18 percentage points worse from the field, shot 40 percentage points better from 3, and averages .3 less TO/G in the NBA finals.

I agree with 2k5 (no, for real). If you're going to be compared to MJ, you can't lay eggs in multiple finals. 2007 was fine. He was like 23 and the Spurs were the much better team. I assumed '11 was a fluke (still could be) after what he did last year.

Edited by Jordan4life

It kind of reminds me of David Robinson at his peak, though with him it was the entire post-season. He was a monster in the regular season, arguably the best center in the league. For the most part, he just wasn't the same in the playoffs though. For three straight years during his peak, he shot 46.5%, 41.1% and 44.6% from the floor (about 30 games total). Hakeem was the exact opposite, which is probably why he's remembered more favorably.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
More like 89-ish (towards the end of Celtics/Lakers) to 97 or so (before all your superstars drafted in the mid-80's like Hakeem, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, ect started to retire/see a drastic drop in production). The late 80's/early 90's drafts kinda sucked and KG started the high schooler wave in 95.

I would make a similar distinction around 2007 when you had the first two super teams and the guys from the stronger 2003 and on drafts started hitting their peaks. That "dividing line" is a lot messier though because a bunch of people drafted in the 90's (KG, Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, Pierce to name a few) are still going strong. League quality is definitely higher than early 2000's though, so there's a distinction somewhere.

Those were the same arguments I was making. I was talking same era as you Zoom.

The best part of a potential Heat Finals loss, beyond my own personal satisfaction, is it should definitively put to rest the GOAT talk. We'll have to wait for the next phenom.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 12, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
The best part of a potential Heat Finals loss, beyond my own personal satisfaction, is it should definitively put to rest the GOAT talk. We'll have to wait for the next phenom.

Wiggins?

And it should, but it probably won't. Everyone thought the abomination of the 2011 Finals would have put to rest the GOAT talks because that was a bigger failure than Jordan ever even came close to. If they lose this year, but come back and win next year I'm sure there will be people right back at it.