2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me, I'd start giving Wade the Manu/Spurs treatment. Bring him off the bench, limit his minutes in the regular season (more like 30 MPG) and give him a few "DNP-old" games when the schedule/minor injuries dictate it. We've seen what Lebron can do with improved spacing. Of course there are a few issues with that...

1) Wade probably isn't going to take it very well.

2) You need two of Allen, Miller and Battier to stay productive, preferrably all three.

3) It would also help if Bosh stayed aggressive offensively instead of turning into Antawn Jamison.

Okay, coming off the bench might be asking a bit much. However, they should definitely be more careful with him and should start shifting to Bosh as their #2 option (assuming he's still there, but that's another discussion).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I really think moving Bosh would be a mistake. He was terrible offensively in the series but he made up for it and more with his defense and rebounding down low. If they could get him onto the elbow and down low more often, he'd be a really dangerous player. Instead, he's shooting from the top of the key and from 3, and he's just terrible at both of those.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I really think moving Bosh would be a mistake. He was terrible offensively in the series but he made up for it and more with his defense and rebounding down low. If they could get him onto the elbow and down low more often, he'd be a really dangerous player. Instead, he's shooting from the top of the key and from 3, and he's just terrible at both of those.

I think it'd be hard to get a deal that makes them better. A couple of early rumors were DeMarcus Cousins (god, I hope not) and something built around Varejao (which doesn't really help unless they get #1 too), but I don't know how likely they are to get something like that.

Basically they just need him to get back to being aggressive offensively. He used to get like 6 shots a game at the rim and get to the line 8 times, he was down to 4 and 4 this year. He's a really good #2 option if he gets back to those numbers. Playing center definitely doesn't help him on D, but he should be able to get around them fairly easily on offense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
Well, that's ridiculous. How much Magic Johnson did you watch in the early 80s? I admit to having watched zero Magic Johnson in the early 80s, but that's because my parents were out whooping it up still and only just beginning to start making babies. But if you are going to tell me that there's never been a player like LeBron James - a 6'8 freak of an athlete who can run an offense, shoot, drive, pass, rebound, and defend, then you are wrong. In fact, Magic Johnson was all of that and more, considering he also had position versatility, which is something LeBron could not do.

I'm not arguing who's better - I have my opinion, you have yours, and I'm quite sure we disagree. All I'm debating is that there's never been a player like LeBron when quite clearly there has.

I saw plenty of Magic early in his career. Passing was about the same I would say, maybe a slight edge to Magic, but pretty much anything else goes to LeBron. Shooting, defense, rebounding, etc all belong to James IMO

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)

Bosh is still a great player, he is just an awful fit for what Spol and the Heat have on the floor and run on offense. Using him like Brad Sellers is bad. Honestly the Heat would be better served by making room for guys that compliment LeBron and Wade better, because Bosh isn't it.

Someone like Noah would be perfect there3.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)
Bosh is still a great player, he is just an awful fit for what Spol and the Heat have on the floor and run on offense. Using him like Brad Sellers is bad. Honestly the Heat would be better served by making room for guys that compliment LeBron and Wade better, because Bosh isn't it.

Someone like Noah would be perfect there3.

Not really. What they try to do with Bosh is pull the big man away from the rim with his shooting ability. Roughly half of his shots were outside of 16 feet this year. That fits his skillset, but he's not using his ability to drive past slower bigs much. They need as much shooting as possible on the floor when they use Lebron and Wade, otherwise the paint becomes a clogged mess. Bosh is also very useful for them defensively because he's mobile enough to hedge aggresssively on the pick and roll and still recover or briefly switch onto the perimeter player.

Noah would help their defense since he has similar mobility, rebounds better and seems to hold up better in the post defensively. However, he'd be an issue offensively because his offensive impact outside of 5 feet is a little-used jumper and some high-post passing. He's also nowhere near as effective as Bosh at the rim (62% conversion rate compared to 75.5% from Bosh this year. If you prefer career, Noah has usually been 57-59% with a 61.7 in 10/11 and Bosh is usually north of 63% with several other seasons above 66%).

I don't think there's a "perfect fit" in the NBA right now for their frontcourt. Pretty much everyone is going to have substantial pluses and minuses if you switch them for Bosh. Even guys like Dwight (shooting), Love (defense) and Griffin (shooting and defense) have some issues. The only guys I can think of that might fit all of their needs better than Bosh are Marc Gasol (sacrifice a little offense for a lot of D), Al Horford (similar to Bosh offensively, probably a little more durable in the post) and possibly Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins in a year or two.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 20, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
There's a difference between respecting the past and clinging to it. There's never, ever been a player like LeBron James. The 4th quarter and OT of game 6 and all of tonight just proved that. He impacts the game in more ways than any player ever. His defensive versatility, rebounding, play-making and tonight with the jumper. LeBron, like MJ at the same age, has it on lock now.

How come you haven't changed your nick to Lebron4life yet?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
I don't follow. All I did was tell the truth.

He is an absolutely incredible player, there's no doubting that. I think we can dispel the rumors of him not being clutch now too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
He is an absolutely incredible player, there's no doubting that. I think we can dispel the rumors of him not being clutch now too.

I think that was gone last year in the Boston series. Plus his numbers in game 7's are the best ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 10:36 AM)
I saw plenty of Magic early in his career. Passing was about the same I would say, maybe a slight edge to Magic, but pretty much anything else goes to LeBron. Shooting, defense, rebounding, etc all belong to James IMO

Imagination and passing, creativity, there's more than a slight edge to Johnson.

Obviously, rebounding and going to the basket/getting to the free throw line....Magic could score, but he wasn't capable of just destroying the other team in the lane going to the rim at will. He had his baby hooks and finesse moves, much like Kareem. When I think of LeBron, explosive and powerful are the two adjectives that come to mind right away, almost the opposite of Magic in many respects.

Leadership, definitely Johnson, although Lebron's getting better in this area.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)

This

I have never denied that he's an outrageously talented player. My only problem is that there seems to be a rush to proclaim him GOAT. He needs to accomplish more than what he's done so far. He's on pace to be in the debate but he needs a few more years of dominance and leading his team to titles. If he ends up with 6 at least, (MJ led his team to 6 and mind you he took 2 years off his absolute prime to chase fly balls) I don't see why LeBron, if he wants to be the GOAT, can't at the very least match MJ. He's still young enough, has an organization that has a clue and a solid team built around him.

Dominate and lead your team to multiple titles. 2 won't get it done imo and I think he'll have more, let's wait and see what he does.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
This

I have never denied that he's an outrageously talented player. My only problem is that there seems to be a rush to proclaim him GOAT. He needs to accomplish more than what he's done so far. He's on pace to be in the debate but he needs a few more years of dominance and leading his team to titles. If he ends up with 6 at least, (MJ led his team to 6 and mind you he took 2 years off his absolute prime to chase fly balls) I don't see why LeBron, if he wants to be the GOAT, can't at the very least match MJ. He's still young enough, has an organization that has a clue and a solid team built around him.

Dominate and lead your team to multiple titles. 2 won't get it done imo and I think he'll have more, let's wait and see what he does.

Please, MJ was the consensus GOAT by the end of '92. When you're that good, you're going to get hyped up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Please, MJ was the consensus GOAT by the end of '92. When you're that good, you're going to get hyped up.

Simple question to you J4L, do YOU think LeBron right now is better than peak Jordan? straight up yes or no and your reasons why.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 21, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
Simple question to you J4L, do YOU think LeBron right now is better than peak Jordan? straight up yes or no and your reasons why.

Far as statistical and overall on-court (LeBron will never be as loved/popular) impact? Better? I wouldn't say that. Just as good? Definitely. If you want to break it up some and compare their individual skill-sets, etc, I see it like this:

Getting to the rim and finishing: LeBron

Ball-handling: Tie

Post-game: MJ

Mid-range: MJ

Long-range: Tie (and I'm being generous here. Three of Michael's four best seasons from deep came when the 3-point line was moved in. Another year or two like '13 from LeBron, and he's got the edge)

Rebounding: LeBron

Passing: LeBron

Defense: LeBron (his freakish size and versatility or the ability to guard every position on the floor well trumps Michael's insane on-ball defense)

These are the things that you can either use stats or simply your eyes (though I'm sure some will disagree).

I look at Kobe and the level he was playing at before his injury at age 34 and then think about LeBron, who's bigger, stronger, more athletic and injury-proof, and it's easy to project that he could very well still be the best player in the game at 34-35 if he plays until then (much like MJ).

Edited by Jordan4life