2012-2013 NBA thread

Yet, all three of those teams made major moves to overhaul their teams in the offseason. Strange how that works

Wait, what major moves did the Celtics make? They lost Ray Allen for nothing and they re-signed an old ass Kevin Garnett. They still have no real Center on the roster, and their rebounding is terrible.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Not so much reimagining. Going forward, this team is not what it was the past two years, the bench mob is gone. When Derrick is fully back, everyone will be two years older. Deng and Noah have both struggled with major injuries pretty much every season they have been in the NBA.

Now the plan is, hope everyone gets, and remains healthy, and new guys become like the old guys. Except without Derrick running the show. Please, forgive me for thinking that this is a bulls*** plan and something a little more concrete should have been drafted for this offseason.

Well, your statement was not about going forward it was ridiculing someone for thinking the bulls were better than the lakers and celts the past two years. I think the better plan would be to start getting rid of our high contracts now and get good draft picks and space, BUT I still don't believe treading water as a playoff contender until you have space and an expiring contract in 2014 is specifically the worst path they could take. Signing asik and korver would've been worse. But if some star becomes available the next two years they need to prepare to go over the luxury cap.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
For some reason Derrick's injury has people re-imagining the bulls as much worse than they were.

It's hard to know what the Bulls were. They had the best record in the NBA despite playing 90% of their games without at least one starter. It's all changed now, though, because by far and away their best player might have completely altered his career moving forward.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
Wait, what major moves did the Celtics make? They lost Ray Allen for nothing and they re-signed an old ass Kevin Garnett. They still have no real Center on the roster, and their rebounding is terrible.

Jason Terry.

Jason Terry.

Do you consider that a major move? They replaced one old guy close to retirement with another. They still did nothing to address their main problem, which was their core getting older and their lack of rebounding. They needed a real C, not another perimeter player imo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Well, your statement was not about going forward it was ridiculing someone for thinking the bulls were better than the lakers and celts the past two years. I think the better plan would be to start getting rid of our high contracts now and get good draft picks and space, BUT I still don't believe treading water as a playoff contender until you have space and an expiring contract in 2014 is specifically the worst path they could take. Signing asik and korver would've been worse. But if some star becomes available the next two years they need to prepare to go over the luxury cap.

I did not want Korver and Asik, so let me put that out there.

The Bulls, Celtics and Lakers all got to the playoffs and lost the past two years. The Lakers and Celtics continue to make moves to try and improve their team, the Bulls say YAY MALCOLM THOMAS MIGHT BE GOOD.

Its time for a new philosophy.

Can someone explain to me what the Rockets are doing with the Lin and Asik contracts? For the 2014-2015 season, they will be making $30m combined (about $15m each!). My only guess is they are stocking up so they can be traded as expiring contracts.

Wait a minute, Malcolm Thomas might be good. You have people here complaining that the Bulls aren't taking chances on young players that could become key contributors for us in the long term, and at the same time people complaining that we're going after Malcolm Thomas. I'm glad they're taking a chance on a young stand out player.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Do you consider that a major move? They replaced one old guy close to retirement with another. They still did nothing to address their main problem, which was their core getting older and their lack of rebounding. They needed a real C, not another perimeter player imo.

Well their draft was meant to shore that up with Melo and Sullinger, but obviously that is yet to be determined. Celtics in the past 4 seasons have shown to be more than willing to make the big move to go for a title. But I digress, they were not as good as an example as the Lakers and Dallas, as well as the Nets.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
There's rumors he might not even be walking right yet.

Holmes on The Score said he's not too sure that's true. He's not a big fan of his Olympic teammates and might be using his ankle as a nice excuse to get out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
I did not want Korver and Asik, so let me put that out there.

The Bulls, Celtics and Lakers all got to the playoffs and lost the past two years. The Lakers and Celtics continue to make moves to try and improve their team, the Bulls say YAY MALCOLM THOMAS MIGHT BE GOOD.

Its time for a new philosophy.

The celtics just doubled down on their core, which is basically what the Bulls are doing now.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Wait a minute, Malcolm Thomas might be good. You have people here complaining that the Bulls aren't taking chances on young players that could become key contributors for us in the long term, and at the same time people complaining that we're going after Malcolm Thomas. I'm glad they're taking a chance on a young stand out player.

LOL. This is such a bunch of "ifs"

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)

I saw Thomas play plenty at SDSt. If the Bulls are relying on Teague, Thomas and Butler to be key contributors, then it's going to be very ugly next year.

Well their draft was meant to shore that up with Melo and Sullinger, but obviously that is yet to be determined. Celtics in the past 4 seasons have shown to be more than willing to make the big move to go for a title. But I digress, they were not as good as an example as the Lakers and Dallas, as well as the Nets.

The Nets, really? Come on man. Just because a team makes a lot of big moves doesn't mean they're the right moves or that they're a good team.

We're better than the damn Nets.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
The Nets, really? Come on man. Just because a team makes a lot of big moves doesn't mean they're the right moves or that they're a good team.

We're better than the damn Nets.

Not if they get Dwight.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Yet, all three of those teams made major moves to overhaul their teams in the offseason. Strange how that works

Dallas completely whiffed on there plan A. They've made a series of small, under the radar moves. However, as a whole, let me know of any expert that is going to call the Mavs a title contender. The Lakers made a great move in getting Nash, but long-term it doesn't help them. They needed a guy to put him over the top short-term and went with it. The Bulls weren't in the position to make that type of move. Boston is not a title contender either. They are the epitome of a team that refuses to give up (and they should be rebuilding) and they got duped on last years deep run (thanks to Rose going down; they barely even got past Philly).

Sam Smith's take on things:

... So with Taj Gibson, who will be a restricted free agent after next season and a priority to resign, it would be difficult to see how Asik would be getting more playing time.

But with Asik’s absence, the likelihood is Gibson would get more playing time above his 20.4 minutes per game. Smaller front lines have been more common in the NBA these days with Miami winning the title last season not using a traditional center in most of the playoffs and Finals. Thus matching teams with more offensive firepower would seem to have an increasing priority.

By keeping that huge third year salary on the payroll, as the Knicks also realized with Lin, it could have created internal tensions with a little used bench player one of the team’s highest paid players.

He (Belinelli) makes up for the loss of Korver with his outside threat and is more athletic and considered a better defender. And given his age he is a player whom the Bulls could move forward with if he proves effective.

Jimmy Butler was one of the best players at summer league and will step in for Brewer. Going into his second season, it is clear Butler had to play. And he likely gives the Bulls a better offensive option than Brewer with a strong defensive possibility.

There’s little doubt around the NBA that Hinrich is a major improvement over Watson. Watson signed for a minimum contract with the Nets and Hinrich was in demand for salaries much higher as the Bulls used a big part of their mid level exception for Hinrich.

The Bulls have also signed veteran big man, Vladimir Radmanovic, a so called stretch four with his long distance shooting ability. The role is also becoming more important in the NBA these days.

http://blogs.bulls.com/2012/07/bulls-will-...-offer-to-asik/

Im not sure what re- imagining the past has anything to do with the Bulls prospects in the future. The Bulls lost 1-4 to the Heat 2 years ago, and last years team Heat team was better. Even if Rip has a good year left in him, hes likely not going to have much in 2 years.

When you look at the Thunder/Heat, its hard to argue that the Bulls should consistently beat them. Which is why many Bulls fans want the Bulls to work on a dramatic improvement 2 years from now, so that they stay an elite team.

Whether that is through trade, draft, etc, doesnt really matter. I just dont think its realistic to believe the Bulls are going to win the Championship next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
They can't get Dwight anymore. They don't have the assets. All of those plans ended when they inked Lopez.

I thought they still could, but they'd have to wait until January. But even then, i'd be pretty hard.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
I thought they still could, but they'd have to wait until January. But even then, i'd be pretty hard.

It depends on whether the Magic want him at that contract. He can be traded in January.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
It depends on whether the Magic want him at that contract. He can be traded in January.

The speculation was that the Lopez/Humphries contracts would help them out because Orlando could dump a bunch of their bad contracts in the trade with those two (Richardson, Davis, maybe Nelson or Turkoglu). Kris Kardashian is only on a 2-year deal, so he basically gives them two years of surprisingly solid production while they tank then he's off the payroll.