2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
I get Bulls fans being upset, but that article is just f***ing terrible. I think a 12 year old wrote it. The comparisons he tries to make between the franchises are misleading and don't make much sense.

Easy things to point out...

-JR has probably made about a billion dollars off of the White Sox if you go all of the way back to when he bought them in 1980. As impressive as that sounds, that is something like $30 million a year, or much less if the guy is included team value appreciation in that number.

-The White Sox have never paid the luxury tax either.

-The White Sox play twice as many games, at a stadium that is twice as big as the UC. The White Sox attendance has never been as low as what the Bulls draw, so despite the higher price points for the Bulls, the Sox have many more opportunities for revenues and profits.

-The Bulls have handed out many big contracts. Look at the roster we have right now. Go back in history and look at guys like Ben Wallace, etc.

-The White Sox payroll fell about 20% this year, while the Bulls hasn't fallen.

Seriously awful writing. No journalistic integrity at all. That is something Mariotti would have written.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Want the difference between the Bulls and White Sox?

Gar Forman vs. Kenny Williams

That's it.

Bulls fans (who are also Cubs fans) who think Jerry mixes revenue from the Sox with the Bulls are financially blind. Jerry's a business man. No good business man lets the revenue from two of his assets blend together THAT easily. It's not like he wakes up one day and decides that he'll spend $20 million from the Bulls' revenue on the White Sox instead.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Want the difference between the Bulls and White Sox?

Gar Forman vs. Kenny Williams

That's it.

Exactly. Financially they are run the same way. They spend as much as their revenues and the league will allow them to.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Bulls fans (who are also Cubs fans) who think Jerry mixes revenue from the Sox with the Bulls are financially blind. Jerry's a business man. No good business man lets the revenue from two of his assets blend together THAT easily. It's not like he wakes up one day and decides that he'll spend $20 million from the Bulls' revenue on the White Sox instead.

Or if the crowd at RealGM is to be believed, they hate baseball, but then see the White Sox payroll and compare it straight to the Bulls payroll.

It doesn't work like that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Or if the crowd at RealGM is to be believed, they hate baseball, but then see the White Sox payroll and compare it straight to the Bulls payroll.

It doesn't work like that.

If there was no salary cap in basketball, I'd have to imagine the Knicks and Lakers would be spending like the Yankees and Red Sox.

People with no understanding of baseball just don't get it...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
I get Bulls fans being upset, but that article is just f***ing terrible. I think a 12 year old wrote it. The comparisons he tries to make between the franchises are misleading and don't make much sense.

Dwyer has been taking writing lessons from Chris Chase.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:58 PM)
Exactly. Financially they are run the same way. They spend as much as their revenues and the league will allow them to.

And part of Dwyers grand point over the two articles is that Jerry spends enough to keep us sucked in, but not enough to put the foot on the throat and go for it. He pointed out 6 different seasons where basically the exact same thing happened with 3 different regimes(Krause, Pax, Gar), and that was "Just wait until XXXX year, we will go for it then".

The comparison with the Sox was poor, but he was right to point out the quote "Baseball is American, Basketball is just a game" because from the outside looking in, it really looks like Reinsdorf treats it that was, with simultaneously pisses me off and makes me happy as hell.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
And part of Dwyers grand point over the two articles is that Jerry spends enough to keep us sucked in, but not enough to put the foot on the throat and go for it. He pointed out 6 different seasons where basically the exact same thing happened with 3 different regimes(Krause, Pax, Gar), and that was "Just wait until XXXX year, we will go for it then".

The comparison with the Sox was poor, but he was right to point out the quote "Baseball is American, Basketball is just a game" because from the outside looking in, it really looks like Reinsdorf treats it that was, with simultaneously pisses me off and makes me happy as hell.

The teams are treated the same. Its not like the Sox have ever led MLB in payroll, or anything close.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
I'm pretty sure we did attempt to "go for it". Lebron and Wade and Dwight didn't want to come here, how is that Jerrys fault?

Just wait until 2014 and they extend the carrot again

I don't understand what you're criticizing, the lack of attempting to go for it or the lack of results?

Because we did go for it pretty hard, there just weren't any good results that came of it. You can hardly blame Jerry for that.

Maybe it's GarPax's fault that they don't do a good job of selling our city and team to these big name FA's

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Just wait until 2014 and they extend the carrot again

I dont understand this, are you saying that they only pretended to want to bring in Wade and LeBron to tease the fans into thinking they want to contend?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
I dont understand this, are you saying that they only pretended to want to bring in Wade and LeBron to tease the fans into thinking they want to contend?

No, i am saying nothing ever happens. The Bulls continually tell us to wait another year, another two years, everything is according to plan.

You are looking at one small part of the past 14 seasons. Lebron and Wade left everyone high and dry, sure, but this management never takes any risks, never tries to make significant moves. They fall in love with their core, sell it to us as great, and hope everythign works out perfectly.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
No, i am saying nothing ever happens. The Bulls continually tell us to wait another year, another two years, everything is according to plan.

You are looking at one small part of the past 14 seasons. Lebron and Wade left everyone high and dry, sure, but this management never takes any risks, never tries to make significant moves. They fall in love with their core, sell it to us as great, and hope everythign works out perfectly.

I find this funny because the mavs just had an offseason very similar to the bulls '10 offseason, but you are acting like they are the bees knees right now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

Meh, I've seen it work out the last 2 seasons.

Not sure on the other points though. They had a pretty weak "core" previously and we all knew it. This core now basically consists of the former MVP and another all star in Deng.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:58 PM)

Oh bulls***. The Bulls sell out every game and do fine with merchandising. There's zero reason they shouldn't party in the luxury tax the same as the other big boys of the league.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
I find this funny because the mavs just had an offseason very similar to the bulls '10 offseason, but you are acting like they are the bees knees right now.

Well the Mavs are 2 years removed from a title, and the Bulls are 14.

Forgive me for being pissed that Mayo was axquired for the same price as Hinrich

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Oh bulls***. The Bulls sell out every game and do fine with merchandising. There's zero reason they shouldn't party in the luxury tax the same as the other big boys of the league.

Reinsdorf led teams don't do it. That is the same with the Sox and the Bulls. If they actually pay the luxury tax in the NBA, it will be the first time ever a JR team has done it.

Like I said, they are run the exact same way.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
If there was no salary cap in basketball, I'd have to imagine the Knicks and Lakers would be spending like the Yankees and Red Sox.

2011-2012 Salaries per team.

Bulls "Going for it" - $66,746,162

ZOMG LUXURY TAX - $70,000,000

Lakers - $93,945,748

Heat - $77,133,080

Celtics - $80,768,561

Mavericks - $70,077,245

Spurs - $73,699,420

Magic - $77,506,707

Some people live in reality where they see a team like the Lakers spending $25 million more than the Bulls without fear of the luxury tax so they can compete.

Or a f***ing s*** city like Miami outspending the Bulls who have the longest sellout streak in the NBA.

All of you fall in line and think the Bulls are great and doing what they can, while in reality they continually spit in the face of the League's best fan-base (proven) while teams like the Philadelphia 76er's out-spend them ($68,932,083).

Sure, there's something to be said for smart spending, but there's also something to be said for willing to take on stars with big contracts that JUST MIGHT push you over the dreaded luxury tax threshold. It's a joke, but the fans continue to tow the team line and act like JR truly wants a championship.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

Lakers - $93,945,748

Heat - $77,133,080

Celtics - $80,768,561

Mavericks - $70,077,245

Spurs - $73,699,420

Magic - $77,506,707

Some people live in reality where they see a team like the Lakers spending $25 million more than the Bulls without fear of the luxury tax so they can compete.

Or a f***ing s*** city like Miami outspending the Bulls who have the longest sellout streak in the NBA.

All of you fall in line and think the Bulls are great and doing what they can, while in reality they continually spit in the face of the League's best fan-base (proven) while teams like the Philadelphia 76er's out-spend them ($68,932,083).

Sure, there's something to be said for smart spending, but there's also something to be said for willing to take on stars with big contracts that JUST MIGHT push you over the dreaded luxury tax threshold. It's a joke, but the fans continue to tow the team line and act like JR truly wants a championship.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)

Lakers - $93,945,748

Heat - $77,133,080

Celtics - $80,768,561

Mavericks - $70,077,245

Spurs - $73,699,420

Magic - $77,506,707

I like everything steve said except for the blatant attack on the beautiful city of miami, which is clearly better all the other cities on that over the luxury tax city list. I find it more laughable that an amusement park city like Orlando outspends Chicago.