2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell of a bar you set there

This is the part you come in and start making unrealistic suggestions for what we should have done?

Before Rip Hamilton came here, we had nobody who could even run the floor with Derrick. I was happy we just stopped looking lost on fast break opportunities

Kurt Thomas? Oh my goodness. I'm not talking to you anymore.

I'll try to survive

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
This is the part you come in and start making unrealistic suggestions for what we should have done?

Nah, this is the part where I let you continue to make unrealistic suggestions about what this roster is capable of.

Before Rip Hamilton came here, we had nobody who could even run the floor with Derrick. I was happy we just stopped looking lost on fast break opportunities

I'll try to survive

I mean, do you just try to build your post count up? Nearly 1100 posts in 6 weeks? 2k5 even said you post too much. Rip Hamilton on the fast break? lol.

Penetrate the lane, run the floor, these are actually very realistic expectations of what this roster is capable of

I mean, do you just try to build your post count up? Nearly 1100 posts in 6 weeks? 2k5 even said you post too much. Rip Hamilton on the fast break? lol.

Uh yeah, Rip Hamilton on the fast break. Did you not watch last season at all?

I think we'd all agree Rip is not a good athlete. But AT LEAST he can run the floor with Derrick and be a threat to do something with the ball. I'm just illustrating how little things like that can actually help us.

Edited by RZZZA

I'll try to survive

The Bulls were solidly in the middle of the pack last year in fast break points, tied for 13th with Miami. Any NBA player should be able to finish a fastbreak dunk. Noah, Deng and Brewer could all do that when the opportunity presented itself. The guys they picked up aren't going to improve that significantly, if at all.

I think Deng and Brewer are actually pretty durn bad on fastbreaks.

many times the past few years I'd watch this team blow fast break opportunities and I'd think good lord...we are terrible at these.

I mean there's no serious way you can tell me Miami is just as good at converting fast break opportunities as us. I don't care what the stats say, when Miami turns the other team over theyre on the other side of the court dunking it in half a second. When we turn the other team over...guys like Deng and Brewer are nowhere near the play, or they mess the pass up or blow the dunk or just pull up for a J or something.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
I think Deng and Brewer are actually pretty durn bad on fastbreaks.

Their conversion percentages in the basket area would argue otherwise. Regardless of what you think of them, Nate freakin' Robinson isn't any better.

Thank god for zoom. Zoom can "hate" and nobody says anything to him. The Bulls are terrible and going nowhere at the moment. They will not get away with what they got away with last year in a normal season. No rose, an injury-prone starting lineup and a considerably weaker bench equals 30 wins.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Thank god for zoom. Zoom can "hate" and nobody says anything to him. The Bulls are terrible and going nowhere at the moment. They will not get away with what they got away with last year in a normal season. No rose, an injury-prone starting lineup and a considerably weaker bench equals 30 wins.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The Bulls have some problems, but they're still not as awful as a lot of the bottom feeders.

They probably have the worst PG's in the league until Rose gets back (I actually had to analyze that for This article ranking the starting PG's that I wrote), and their SG's are serviceable at best even with healthy. But Deng is above average at SF and they still have a good frontcourt.

Obviously injuries are the wildcard. They need basically perfect health to be over .500 with Rose out. If Noah or Deng misses extended time, things can get ugly.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 07:20 PM)
He's another fast guard, he can pass and he can handle the ball. What else do you need to be good on a fast break? Nate is gonna help our running game fo sho

Being able to finish things besides wide open dunks is what makes you good on the fast break. Watch the Heat or Thunder (That last thing I posted was raw fastbreak points. I have no idea on conversion percentage, but Lebron and Wade are both way better in the basket area than any Bulls, including Rose. It's also possible that some of their finishes don't count as "fastbreak" points.), the reason they're so dangerous in transition is their studs can consistently score even if there is someone back. Good decision making and passing help too. None of those things are exactly strengths for Robinson.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Yeah, we aren't great athletically. The following are:

Rose, but you know, injury.

Teague, but he's a project.

Butler is slightly above average in my opinion, definitely not Ronnie Brewer though. Brewer was a crazy athlete.

Taj Gibson, no explanation needed.

Noah as he is very agile for his size. Not too explosive as an athlete, but he's a very fluid and coordinated athlete.

Nate is obviously athletic, he dunked at 5'9. Doesn't make him a great NBA player though. Good 3rd PG.

Are people actually excited about Nate Robinson? Sometimes it's hard to reads tone on the boards.

And great atheletes don't mean they are great basketball players. Eddie Robinson was a great athlete but a crap bball player. There is a laundry list of guys like that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 06:19 AM)
Are people actually excited about Nate Robinson? Sometimes it's hard to reads tone on the boards.

And great atheletes don't mean they are great basketball players. Eddie Robinson was a great athlete but a crap bball player. There is a laundry list of guys like that.

Pretty much all basketball players are great athletes. There are a few(eddy curry, cough cough) that manage to stay in the league with below average athleticism(for an NBA playe), but even those guys could run just about any guy on this board off a court.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:19 AM)

I'm not so much excited as I am content with the signing. The guy still outproduced CJ (yes I know CJ was hurt, but the bulls got by with a hurt CJ) last year in the same amount of playing time. That said I cant see how one would be disappointed in the signing, esp if the plan is to make him the 5th guard on the team (I kinda think he wont be and they'll work Teague in like they did Butler)

Pretty much all basketball players are great athletes.

Oh my, really? We weren't a very athletic team on offense in 2010-2011, we had no guards that could run the floor with Derrick. Zero, none, nada. That's probably why we rely on our center to run the floor a lot of the times. I remember thats how he rolled his ankle. He's a C running the floor and trying to play PG at the same time.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Oh my, really? We weren't a very athletic team on offense in 2010-2011, we had no guards that could run the floor with Derrick. Zero, none, nada. That's probably why we rely on our center to run the floor a lot of the times. I remember thats how he rolled his ankle. He's a C running the floor and trying to play PG at the same time.

There is athletic, and then there is Derrick Rose. The dude is in a category of his own, with maybe 10 or so other guys in the NBA. Rose is a freak.

I'd love a Monta Ellis or a Ty Lawson or someone who actually is athletic like that to play offguard with Derrick. Not Ronnie freakin' Brewer, who can't dribble, can't pass and blows more dunks than he makes.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)

Im sure with this ATHLETIC bench that we have acquired, Noah will no longer have to run the floor and he will never be subjected to rolling his ankle ever again.

Nice red herring there, the issue here is Noah being one of the few guys on this team fast enough and good enough of a dribbler and passer to run the floor on this team. Not the fact that he rolled his ankle.

Your C shouldn't be the one who has to do this. When the ball is turned over, the two guards need to SPRINT to the other side of the court as fast as possible. Brewer, Bogans...nah they ain't doin' that. They ain't doin' nuthin'.

Rip, meh. He's no threat to finish at the basket but at least he's fast and a decent passer, so he has that going for him. Nate can be another guy like that for us.

Edited by RZZZA