2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lakers get a gift in a trade every couple of years it seems. Lakers not giving up near what they recieve just like when they got Gasol this is why the NBA is my least favorite sport.

Edited by Soxfest

I am officially rooting for the Heat this season (unless the Thunder knock the Lakers off in the playoffs). The Heat are a much more likeable team than the Lakers, which is pretty crazy. Also, Orlando's GM did a terrible job this offseason. They turned down better deals than what they ended up getting. Why the f*** would you not just take Bynum in return? It isn't like he would have many other options next season as far as signing an extension.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

Orlando got literally nothing. Afflalo, Harrington, Vucevic, and 3 protected first round picks. All these three teams will be good, they won't even get any where close to a lottery pick.

Their new GM needs to be fired on the spot. This is absolutely horrific. If they got Gasol, I'd understand. But this is just sad.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Orlando got literally nothing. Afflalo, Harrington, Vucevic, and 3 protected first round picks. All these three teams will be good, they won't even get any where close to a lottery pick.

Their new GM needs to be fired on the spot. This is absolutely horrific. If they got Gasol, I'd understand. But this is just sad.

I'll ask again. Why the f*** would you not just take Bynum and then hope to sign him? It isn't like Bynum would have very many other options next year. I would rather have told Dwight to f*** off, not traded him this offseason and then not agree to sign and trade him next year unless it was for a legitimately good package and see what he does.

Also, I was FINALLY beginning to like Kobe. I like Nash and Pau. I was gonna be happy for Nash to get a ring.

Now? I won't hope an injury on Dwight, but it would be the greatest karmic justice ever. He's treated so many people like s*** because of his terrible decision, and he still wins in the end.

Gotta love how the Lakers can turn a decent but inferior center to Dwight and a late first into the undisputed best big man in the league and a top-5 player. Philly and Denver did pretty well too, not that it's going to matter since it's at best a 3-team race this year barring catestrophic injuries.

There are only two things keeping me sane right now:

1) If not for David Stern, the Lakers might have Dwight AND Chris Paul right now.

2) As much of an edge the Lakers will have inside with Dwight/Gasol, they'll be at just as huge of a disadvantage defensively on the perimeter against the other two contenders. Nash, Kobe, and whatever other trash they use have no hope of stopping Westbrook/Durant or Lebron/Wade.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
I'll ask again. Why the f*** would you not just take Bynum and then hope to sign him? It isn't like Bynum would have very many other options next year. I would rather have told Dwight to f*** off, not traded him this offseason and then not agree to sign and trade him next year unless it was for a legitimately good package and see what he does.

Bynum pretty much notified Orlando's brass that he wasn't going to re-sign there long - term, and that teams such as Houston or Cleveland were more realistic.

So basically in July, Hennigan knocked back this trade from the Nets;

Brook Lopez (4/60)

Kris Humphries (1/9)

MarShawn Brooks

4 unprotected 1st's

FOR

Howard

J-Rich

Chris Duhon

Earl Clark

From what I hear now, the Magic will be dumping Duhon and Clark's contracts on the Lakers for multiple 2nd rd picks as well.

This is going to be a really long post, because I'm going to ramble for a bit, so apologies in advance.

Hennigan's thought process has basically been when the new salary cap / luxury tax rules come in 2014, Orlando HAS to be in an excellent cap situation with young players on cheap contracts and multiple 1st round picks.

Affalo (who I think is an excellent defensive SG BTW) is on a 5/43 deal which has got 4 more years left. Jameer Nelson is on a 3/24 deal where the 3rd season is partially guaranteed, while Big Baby Davis has about 3/20 left on his deal. So that's about $22M in 3 players and then you'll have the likes of Nicholson and Harkless on their rookie deals etc.

I think Hennigan basically wants to turn this team into the 2001 Heart and Hustle team, the team Orlando had the season before they signed Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady to max free agent contracts in the next off-season. To do that, he placed a premium more on dumping long - term contracts than getting back better talent in return.

I like the Affalo and Harkless additions. Affalo is certainly an upgrade on J-Rich, is he worth a $8M a season? That's debatable, but I think he's a bonafide starting 2 guard in the NBA, no question. Harkless could be the next Igoudala, he's very raw in terms of his offensive skill-set, but the Magic now have their potential starting forwards for the next 10 years, if Harkless and Nicholson can develop into good players.

Vukcevic will get heavy minutes at center, simply because Davis is terrible defensively. I don't know if he's anything more than a backup center in this league though.

Getting the 3 1st rounders is good, although they're all definitely lottery protected, and will probably end up being in the 20's anyways (because you would expect Denver, Los Angeles and Philly to be playoff teams for the next few seasons).

Right now, it's pretty depressing to be a Magic fan. They've had argubly the 2 best centers over the past 20 years on their team, and haven't been able to build a championship winning team around either one of them. Whether or not they get another oppourtunity again, is the question. Right now, I'd want to be in TANK mode for the upcoming season, and hope we can grab Cody Zeller or Nerlens Noel with an early pick in the next draft.

Unfortunately for the Magic, I think with what happened with Houston with Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin, if New York and Chicago respectively ended up matching those deals, Orlando could have gotten the Kevin Martin + 1st rounders for 2 out of Parsons, White, Lamb and the other 1st round pick whose name escapes me.

In the end, with what I think Hennigan is trying to accomplish, it's a decent enough deal. Orlando certainly gets the worst talent back in terms of the deal, but again, you have to consider, if the Magic had acquired Bynum;

1 - Even if they re-sign him, is there a chance they could win a championship with him, Nelson and Davis as a core? No.

2 - If he left as a FA, what would the Magic be left with in the end for a Howard for Bynum + pieces deal?