2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
Meh, the rest of that lineup would be pretty awful, as I posted in my edit. Bynum isn't an instant 50 wins like Dwight was.

Exactly, so to me, you acquire more future assets and re-load. Especially considering Bynum's knees.

Affalo will probably become a 20PPG a game scorer for us as the #1 option. If SVG was still coaching us, I'd say potentially we could be a 35 win team still with that lineup you've posted, I'm thinking probably more around the 25 wins mark for the upcoming season instead.

Hennigan now needs to look at trading Harrington and Davis for future picks to free up more playing time for Harkless and Nicholson.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Exactly, so to me, you acquire more future assets and re-load. Especially considering Bynum's knees.

Affalo will probably become a 20PPG a game scorer for us as the #1 option. If SVG was still coaching us, I'd say potentially we could be a 35 win team still with that lineup you've posted, I'm thinking probably more around the 25 wins mark for the upcoming season instead.

Hennigan now needs to look at trading Harrington and Davis for future picks to free up more playing time for Harkless and Nicholson.

I think you're going to be sorely disappointed. Afflalo was like the 4th best player on the Nuggets. Harrington had his best year in a while and still wasn't exactly good. Nelson might be the worst starting PG in the league (is he even still there? I don't totally know, haven't looked at the salary dumps). Davis is a below average starter and you're probably not going to get much from Vucevic or Harkless. Even if Ayon does as well as their past backup centers, that's pretty awful.

On paper, they're worse than the Cavs were post-Lebron. They don't have any scorers, and as you said, their defense is going to take a huge step back. Oh, and the top-3 free agents for 2014 already made it obvious that they're not interested in Orlando. Basically they're going to be praying to the lottery gods for 3 or 4 years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Howard said he is going to see how comfortable he is in LA and that will be the deciding point on whether he stays or goes to Dallas....thats exactly the thing I wouldn't wanna hear from a superstar my favorite team just acquired. The Dwight dramas not over and I'm glad he's not a Bull. No thank you.

Reinsdorf: Rose Won't Be Rushed Back

Chicago Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said Saturday he won't risk Derrick Rose's future by allowing his franchise player to return to the court too soon after suffering a torn ACL last season.

Rose tore the ACL in his left knee in Game 1 of the Bulls' first-round playoff series against the Philadelphia 76ers on April 28. He had surgery on May 12, and is expected to need eight to 12 months to recover.

"I'm not going to let him back until the doctors tell me that it's absolutely safe for him to come back," Reinsdorf said on ESPN 1000's "Talking Baseball" on Saturday. "I made that mistake with Michael Jordan years ago where I think we let him come back too soon. It worked out OK, but it might not have. This time I'm not going to make that mistake. Until the doctors say he's 100 percent and they put their reputations on the line, he's not coming back."

Reggie Rose, Derrick Rose's brother and manager, recently told ESPNChicago that the point guard is walking without a brace and his rehab is ahead of schedule. Reinsdorf said he's also been told Rose is making progress.

"The doctors told us that it would be eight to 12 months from the time of the surgery," Reinsdorf said. "Surgery was the middle of May. That means the earliest possible time he'll be back would be the middle of January. If it's 12 months, then he'll miss the whole season. We just don't know. The reports are very good. They say he's ahead of schedule. He's doing all the rehabbing he's got to do. We'll see. In the meantime, I think we're going to have a pretty decent club."

The Bulls lost Omer Asik, Kyle Korver, C.J. Watson and Ronnie Brewer this offseason but added Nazr Mohammed, Marquis Teague, Marco Belinelli, Vladimir Radmanovic and Kirk Hinrich.

"(General manager) Gar Forman has done a great job of turning over the bench," Reinsdorf said. "We lost most of our so-called 'Bench Mob.' But if you look at the numbers, the bench actually has the potential to be more productive than the old guys.

"We still have Joakim (Noah) and Luol (Deng) and Taj (Gibson) and Carlos (Boozer). I think we're going to be a pretty decent team without Derrick. Will we win a championship? I doubt that very seriously, but if we can hang in there and get to the playoffs and if Derrick comes back, who knows? We might be there at the end."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/...ck-knee-surgery

I played some 2K with updated rosters (for this off-season).

I actually liked playing with this current team more than last year's. Radmod is deadly at 3s. Better than Korver (in the game, that is). Having Hinrich, Robinson, and Bellinelli off the bench was very nice.

When this roster is completely healthy, I can see it being pretty good (in real life).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)

I actually liked playing with this current team more than last year's. Radmod is deadly at 3s. Better than Korver (in the game, that is). Having Hinrich, Robinson, and Bellinelli off the bench was very nice.

When this roster is completely healthy, I can see it being pretty good (in real life).

That's it. I'm taking a shot whenever the term "completely healthy" and the Bulls are brought up together. I should be dead by next week.

Sun-Times: Rose's shot might be much improved upon return

BY NEIL HAYES

...Fred Tedeschi said Rose would begin spot-shooting 12 weeks after the surgery he had May 12, though, it’s fair to assume he has been shooting while working out in Southern California. That begs this question:

Given how hard Rose works and how much time he spends in the gym, how much better a shooter can he become if that’s all he is allowed to do for the majority of the offseason?

‘‘He can only do three things,’’ said former NBA point guard Tim Hardaway, who missed the 1993-94 season after suffering a similar injury. ‘‘He can dribble — not run and dribble, just dribble walking up and down the court; he can shoot a bunch of free throws; and he can shoot a bunch of set shots like he’s playing H-O-R-S-E every day, all day.

‘‘But that’s going to make him better. If you shoot 1,000 jump shots a day, 1,000 free throws a day, you’re going to get better. That made my shot better. It

really made my jump shot and free-throw percentage better.’’

Hardaway’s shooting percentage decreased after his missed season, which might be because

he penetrated less while shooting more jumpers. But his three-point shooting percentage

improved from .330 to .378 and didn’t dip below .347 for the next decade.

After spot-shooting, Tedeschi said Rose eventually will move to cutting activities before graduating to light contact, but that’s a ways off. Right now, about all he can do is shoot, which is reason enough to believe that part of his game will be much improved when he’s healthy enough to return.

‘‘He’s definitely become a better shooter since he came into the league,’’ Hamilton said this offseason. ‘‘When he came into the league, guys would back off him because of his quickness. At Detroit, that’s what we did when we played against him. But this year and last year, when he added his jump shot to his game, it’s impossible to stop him and contain him.

‘‘He’s going to get better, man. He’s going to come back better and faster.’’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/...he-returns.html

Edited by RZZZA

Source: Bulls stayed active in Howard talks

While the Los Angeles Lakers are on the verge of landing Dwight Howard, the Chicago Bulls were one of several teams that kept an ongoing dialogue with the Orlando Magic in regard to landing the superstar center, according to a league source.

As Stein and several others have reported, the Magic were looking for young, cheap assets in any potential deal, making any Chicago proposal a tough sell. Given the untouchable status of former MVP Derrick Rose and the difficult-to-move three remaining years on Carlos Boozer's contract, any potential deal involving the Bulls and Magic would have included a combination of Joakim Noah, Luol Deng, Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic and draft picks, including the Charlotte Bobcats first-round pick, acquired in the Tyrus Thomas deal.

While it's unclear how far, if at all, the talks progressed under Hennigan, what is clear is that Noah and Deng don't fall into the younger, cheaper assets category. The pair is on the books for nearly $75 million over the next four years (two for Deng, four for Noah). Couple that with the fact that both players are dealing with ongoing injury problems -- Noah has dealt with ankle problems for the past few seasons and still isn't 100 percent after badly rolling his ankle in the playoffs, and Deng has a torn ligament in his wrist and may need surgery -- and it's understandable why Hennigan and the Magic went in another direction.

What remains unclear is whether the Bulls would have executed a deal even if Hennigan had taken back a package centered on Noah and Deng. From the beginning of last season, it seemed that Howard wanted to be dealt to a select number of teams, and the Bulls were not on that list. They never got a clear sense of whether Howard would sign an extension with the Bulls and would embrace playing alongside Rose. His preference always appeared to be going to the Brooklyn Nets or, most recently, the Lakers.

Any potential Howard deal with the Bulls became even trickier because Howard, who has stated through agent Dan Fegan that he won't sign an extension with any team that acquires him, would have been forced to play without Rose for much of the season as the guard recovers from ACL surgery. The Bulls faced the possibility that even if they had acquired Howard, he may still have chosen to walk at the end of the season, leaving the Bulls with no long-term assets except Rose.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bulls/post...-talks-till-end

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
I think you're going to be sorely disappointed. Afflalo was like the 4th best player on the Nuggets. Harrington had his best year in a while and still wasn't exactly good. Nelson might be the worst starting PG in the league (is he even still there? I don't totally know, haven't looked at the salary dumps). Davis is a below average starter and you're probably not going to get much from Vucevic or Harkless. Even if Ayon does as well as their past backup centers, that's pretty awful.

On paper, they're worse than the Cavs were post-Lebron. They don't have any scorers, and as you said, their defense is going to take a huge step back. Oh, and the top-3 free agents for 2014 already made it obvious that they're not interested in Orlando. Basically they're going to be praying to the lottery gods for 3 or 4 years.

It ultimately depends, if the Magic can get a top 3 pick in the next 2 seasons, that's going to be pretty attractive for a free agent IMO.

Even if they can say end up with the 5th - 6th pick, they should be able to trade up into the top 3 if they want to considering the multiple 1st rounders they have now.

New Orleans for instance is a decent enough model to follow for what they've done this off-season. They're a team I think could definitely make the playoffs in the West if all goes well for them this season.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
It ultimately depends, if the Magic can get a top 3 pick in the next 2 seasons, that's going to be pretty attractive for a free agent IMO.

Even if they can say end up with the 5th - 6th pick, they should be able to trade up into the top 3 if they want to considering the multiple 1st rounders they have now.

New Orleans for instance is a decent enough model to follow for what they've done this off-season. They're a team I think could definitely make the playoffs in the West if all goes well for them this season.

The Hornets got Eric Gordon in a trade, who's a lot better than Afflalo, and lucked into the #1 pick. The playoffs are also still a bit of a stretch for them, they'lre pretty thin on proven talent and play in a much stronger west.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)

Thank you for telling us all that video games matter.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
Thank you for telling us all that video games matter.

They have some slight correlation to what happens in real life. Just sayin' that this Bulls team might not be all that bad.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
They have some slight correlation to what happens in real life. Just sayin' that this Bulls team might not be all that bad.

I don't think any Bulls teams with a 100% Derrick Rose will be bad. However, he's not 100%, and the Heat own.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 11, 2012 -> 08:59 PM)
The Hornets got Eric Gordon in a trade, who's a lot better than Afflalo, and lucked into the #1 pick. The playoffs are also still a bit of a stretch for them, they'lre pretty thin on proven talent and play in a much stronger west.

Gordon is pretty overrated though. He's not a true max player and you aren't going to win a title with him as your 2nd best player. The Hornets didn't do all that good for Paul either. It was better then the Lakers offer, but still. The reality is when you deal a super star, you typically are going to be the big loser, unless of course you get lots of cheap young players and draft picks and then just a couple expirings.

However, rarely does that happen. And in the Magic case, they got some solid players, and a bunch of picks that will be relatively worthless (nothing that will be a high lottery pick).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Gordon is pretty overrated though. He's not a true max player and you aren't going to win a title with him as your 2nd best player. The Hornets didn't do all that good for Paul either. It was better then the Lakers offer, but still. The reality is when you deal a super star, you typically are going to be the big loser, unless of course you get lots of cheap young players and draft picks and then just a couple expirings.

However, rarely does that happen. And in the Magic case, they got some solid players, and a bunch of picks that will be relatively worthless (nothing that will be a high lottery pick).

Gotta disagree with you , Jason. Eric Gordon is a baller when he's on the court. That's the problem. He's always hurt.