2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Gordon is pretty overrated though. He's not a true max player and you aren't going to win a title with him as your 2nd best player. The Hornets didn't do all that good for Paul either. It was better then the Lakers offer, but still. The reality is when you deal a super star, you typically are going to be the big loser, unless of course you get lots of cheap young players and draft picks and then just a couple expirings.

However, rarely does that happen. And in the Magic case, they got some solid players, and a bunch of picks that will be relatively worthless (nothing that will be a high lottery pick).

Gordon is a hell of a player when he's actually healthy, which admittedly isn't often. There are maybe 10 "true max players" in the league, so that's beside the point. He's one of the few shooting guards in the league that's capable of scoring 20 points without taking 20 shots. He can get to the rim and hit jumpers, which makes him pretty valuable. They also got an unprotected 2012 lottery pick out of the deal, which is a lot better than any of the picks the Magic got (and it might have been more valuable, but the T-Wolves did a bit better than people expected).

I believe I said you're going to lose when you trade a superstar, but there are degrees of losing. Getting zero lottery picks and Arron Afflalo as the best young player in the deal is a pretty major loss. Afflalo is a decent role player, but is miscast as a leading scorer. The main benefit from this will come from the several high lottery picks they're going to get while they're awful.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:06 AM)
Gotta disagree with you , Jason. Eric Gordon is a baller when he's on the court. That's the problem. He's always hurt.

But he isn't healthy. He has a history of injuries and on top of it is a defensive liability at the 2 spot. The guy is a tweener that is a great scorer. I continue with my statement, you do not win a title with him as your 2nd best player.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
But he isn't healthy. He has a history of injuries and on top of it is a defensive liability at the 2 spot. The guy is a tweener that is a great scorer. I continue with my statement, you do not win a title with him as your 2nd best player.

You're really missing the point. No one ever said Gordon was the second coming of Kobe. The point is he's a much better player/building block than Arron Afflalo, a guy that struggles to get his own shot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)

I didnt get a chance to see any of the olympics, how did Anthony Davis look? Is he already gonna be the #1 option with Gordon being #2?

If Davis lives up to the hype, and Gordon stays healthy that team can make some noise...probably not a title contender just yet but certainly a playoff team.

If they can turn Rivers into a PG like their plan is/was then that makes that team even better. Ryan Anderson was also a good addition.

NOLA has the pieces there.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
I didnt get a chance to see any of the olympics, how did Anthony Davis look? Is he already gonna be the #1 option with Gordon being #2?

If Davis lives up to the hype, and Gordon stays healthy that team can make some noise...probably not a title contender just yet but certainly a playoff team.

If they can turn Rivers into a PG like their plan is/was then that makes that team even better. Ryan Anderson was also a good addition.

NOLA has the pieces there.

Davis is extremely raw, I cant imagine any team will get very far with him as their #1 option. Right now he is likely going to be an above average defender and below average on offense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Davis is extremely raw, I cant imagine any team will get very far with him as their #1 option. Right now he is likely going to be an above average defender and below average on offense.

He's definitely not a scorer yet. A reasonable expectation would be something like 8-8 with a bunch of blocks, possibly a bit better.

NOLA is at least a year away I would think, maybe more. They really only have one decent perimeter player right now (Vasquez is alright at best, and Rivers will probably have adjustment issues early on in the NBA). We'll also have to see how good Ryan Anderson is without Dwight drawing double-teams and covering for him defensively.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
He's definitely not a scorer yet. A reasonable expectation would be something like 8-8 with a bunch of blocks, possibly a bit better.

NOLA is at least a year away I would think, maybe more. They really only have one decent perimeter player right now (Vasquez is alright at best, and Rivers will probably have adjustment issues early on in the NBA). We'll also have to see how good Ryan Anderson is without Dwight drawing double-teams and covering for him defensively.

Of course, if you keep adding Lottery picks to that NOLA lineup, even late lottery picks, they could become even more formidable as Davis's game develops

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
If they give Davis a ton of minutes even 12 points a game isnt unreasonable. But 12 points isnt a #1 scoring option.

Well, I did say "reasonable expectation". I don't think you would be laughed at if you said he was going to average 12-10, though I think that's far from a lock. We won't really know until he starts playing some games, any guesses now are based on his skillset. He definitely gets points more from transition/lobs/putbacks than post moves/drives/jumpshots at this point, though I do think playing with so many monsters at Kentucky cut back on his opportunities a bit. Also, very few big men come in and dominate from day 1, even most of the elite ones needed a couple of years to hit their peak.

I also think there's a difference between "#1 option" and "best player", we had people using it in different ways in this discussion. Davis would probably make a bigger impact than Gordon if he's averaging something like 16-10, but Gordon would still be their top scorer and probably their main shot-creator unless they get a really solid PG. Like most big men nowadays, Davis isn't really a low-post threat, which makes it hard to run offense through him.

I do think they could have a pretty good team with those two as the main building blocks, but they could use a sizeable upgrade at the PG spot (at least someone like Mike Conley) and get someone a little more dangerous at the 3.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Of course, if you keep adding Lottery picks to that NOLA lineup, even late lottery picks, they could become even more formidable as Davis's game develops

They have a long way to go even be considered in the top half of the West.

OKC is still going to devastate them, and Davis has never seen anyone like Dwight.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)

OKC is still going to devastate them, and Davis has never seen anyone like Dwight.

And the Lakers (as you kind of mentioned), and the Spurs, and the Nuggets, Clippers and Grizzlies. There are several other teams out west that are deeper/more experienced than them as well.

New Sixers center Andrew Bynum will head to Germany in early September to have the same experimental procedure on his knee that Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill and Alex Rodriguez have undergone, according to a West Coast source with knowledge of the situation.

Bynum has had surgery on both of his knees. It is unknown whether the procedure will be performed on the one knee or both. According to the source, Bynum’s knees are fine and the procedure is non- surgical.

The procedure, known as Orthokine/Regenokine, will be performed by Dr. Peter Wehling. Bryant initially underwent the procedure to prevent the inevitable wearing down of his knee cartilage. The procedure is a derivation of platelet-rich plasma therapy, or PRP. The procedure, which is not yet performed in the United States, is less invasive than many, if not all, other forms of knee surgeries presently used.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers...l#ixzz23WkzmLj8

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 13, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)

I dont think NOLA has any ideas of competing instantly. They know that they have a very young, very raw roster. They probably are looking at the Thunder in regards to year by year progress coming off of some terrible seasons that led to lottery jackpot.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
It's a good thing this kid is so naive, he doesn't even know that his injury means he's not supposed to be a great player ever again -_-

I don't think people have said anything more than he will most likely lose a little bit of his incredible burst/speed. The thing is, that still makes him better than 97% of the nba.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
I have very little confidence in this getting done.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Can't be in Taj's best interest unless we overpay or he is very fearful of an injury

Why not? Chances are Boozers gonna be amnestied next year so he'll have a starting gig here more than likely. Unless of course the plans to get Kevin Love (Hes made it known hes not happy in MN, and he wants to play with Rose) in a trade next year. Even then he'd be a good piece to move in such a deal, Taj, Deng and picks for Love wouldnt be a bad deal for both teams.

Just a pipe dream of course but if we can pull that off and get Harden next year I'd probably s*** myself and film it for everyone to see.

Zoom is there anyway Rose-Harden-Butler-Love-Noah would work money wise??