2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
I think that's just a result of preseason rankings. Lots of inflation goes on there. I don't see why this year would be any different than the past, where the east has the 8th seed below .500 and a few teams hovering just above it.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at, they have Atlanta taking the 8th seed at 40 wins. It looks like they just kind of grouped all of their playoff teams between 45 and 50 wins and most of the non-playoff teams between 30 and 37. There's probably going to be more separation than that.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
I'm not really sure what you're getting at, they have Atlanta taking the 8th seed at 40 wins. It looks like they just kind of grouped all of their playoff teams between 45 and 50 wins and most of the non-playoff teams between 30 and 37. There's probably going to be more separation than that.

That is what i'm saying. When they are doing these predictions I think they just have an idea of power rankings in the east and assign arbitrary win totals to show that off. I think the basic takeaway should probably just be "ESPN doesn't think there's much of a difference between NJ, NY, CHI and PHI".

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
That is what i'm saying. When they are doing these predictions I think they just have an idea of power rankings in the east and assign arbitrary win totals to show that off. I think the basic takeaway should probably just be "ESPN doesn't think there's much of a difference between NJ, NY, CHI and PHI".

Well, it's win totals as well as the rankings. My point was I'd put them closer to where Atlanta is.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
I had a dream last night I was at a Bulls game in early December and it was Rose's first game back. Granted, I also had courtside seats, so the dream's already hilariously unrealistic.

Talk about a wet dream.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 18, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
My only question with AK47 is how that affects the development of Derrick Williams. They seemed be shopping him pretty hard from the rumors I was reading, which is kind of crazy to me. You just took the guy #2! Give the kid a chance!

They kind of did the same thing with Beasley, though at least he got a true shot at SF. The problem is IMO both of those guys are best as small-ball 4's and that's Love's position too. Still, they're not exactly maximizing the talents of these guys.

How did they kinda do the same with b-easy? I hope you're not still "high" on him since your better-than-DRose prediction ;p

And I think your, along with soxbadger's, first-year stats predictions for Anthony Davis are wayy too conservative/low...

I dont remember exactly what I predicted, Im guessing something like 12-8?, but Tim Duncan only did 21-12 his first year and he was way more developed than Davis.

Davis only averaged 14 points 10 rebounds in college, Duncan was 20/14 his last year.

I just am not sure how Davis is going to get considerably more points, he has a lot of work to do on the offensive end.

I'm more interested to how developed Davis will be on defense. His greatest impact on Kentucky was just how aggressive their guards could play because he was so athletic getting to the drive and blocking shots. His offense will come, but if his defense is there right away he'll be a great addition already.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
How did they kinda do the same with b-easy? I hope you're not still "high" on him since your better-than-DRose prediction ;p

And I think your, along with soxbadger's, first-year stats predictions for Anthony Davis are wayy too conservative/low...

They keep adding more forwards to the team even though Love is entrenched at the 4, making it harder for guys to find a role and PT. They already had Love and Randolph as other options at the 4 and Brewer and Webster at the 3, then added Williams on top of that. Beasley at least got a shot as the starting SF for a year though. They're also both getting forced into being a SF, which seems like it goes against their skillsets (if you look at his breakdown by position, Beasley has definitely been better at the 4).

The jury is still out on Williams. Beasley clearly isn't going to be as good as a lot of people thought he was going to be, but he's not completely useless either. He can score, but he has to stop taking quite so many jumpers and start rebounding at least somewhat like he did in college. I feel like he'd be reasonably decent as a stretch 4 on a team that pushes the pace, but it doesn't look like he's going to get that shot in Phoenix either with Gortat and Scola inside.

I also posted what a reasonable expectation is on Davis, which is more like a floor. That seems more reasonable than saying something like 15-10.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Well Davis didnt do amazing defense against the few legit C prospects he played.

Zeller had a decent game 2x ( game 1 Zeller went 11 pts-7 rebounds compared to Davis 6pts -9 rebounds, game 2 Zeller 20pts-7rebounds, Davis 9pts-12 rebounds), Thomas Robinson had a good game (18pts 17 rebounds, but on 6-17 shooting, Davis 6pts 16 rebounds), so I just am not sure where a lot of this is coming from.

The guy made spectacular plays, but he didnt exactly dominate the other guys who have potential to be lottery Centers. Its going to be a drastic jump to the NBA.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 05:17 PM)
Well Davis didnt do amazing defense against the few legit C prospects he played.

Zeller had a decent game 2x ( game 1 Zeller went 11 pts-7 rebounds compared to Davis 6pts -9 rebounds, game 2 Zeller 20pts-7rebounds, Davis 9pts-12 rebounds), Thomas Davis had a good game (18pts 17 rebounds, but on 6-17 shooting, Davis 6pts 16 rebounds), so I just am not sure where a lot of this is coming from.

The guy made spectacular plays, but he didnt exactly dominate the other guys who have potential to be lottery Centers. Its going to be a drastic jump to the NBA.

Thomas Robinson. :lolhitting And when you hold a guy that was a POY finalist to 11-29 from the floor in two matchups, that's pretty good defense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
Thought I changed that.

And I still dont think he dominated them. He played them well, but those guys arent NBA centers either.

We've been through this before, you were apparently expecting him to average 20-14 for some reason even though he was on a loaded team. He was an elite defender and converted when he did get chances on offense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)

Let's move them to another small market, brilliant! Unless Comcast is just giving them ridiculous sums of money (no numbers mentioned in the article), I have no idea how that makes more sense than some of the Anaheim/other California area ones mentioned in the past.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
Let's move them to another small market, brilliant! Unless Comcast is just giving them ridiculous sums of money (no numbers mentioned in the article), I have no idea how that makes more sense than some of the Anaheim/other California area ones mentioned in the past.

Not sure if I agree, but here's one argument the other way.

When I first heard the Sacremento Kings are considering a move to Virginia Beach, Va., I thought it was ridiculous. The NBA has had success in small markets, but come on.

Then I looked it up. The Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News metropolitan statistical area isn't that small. It's bigger than Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, New Orleans, or Memphis—all of which have NBA teams—and it's just very slightly smaller than Indianapolis. And unlike the Bucks, Hornets, or Pacers, a Virginia Beach Kings squad wouldn't need to compete with any other pro sports teams. And in a lot of ways, avoiding competition seems to be a big factor in NBA franchise success. Obviously the ideal location is to be in a giant city, but barring the availability of New York or Los Angeles or Chicago, the "find a smallish city with no MLB, NFL, or NHL competition" strategy seems to be a pretty sound route to a consistent fan base.

Long story short, the Virginia Beach metro area's name doesn't exactly ring out nationally, but more people live there than you'd think

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)

The thing with that, though, is a lot of those are recent transplants, and I feel that a big part of success is identity. If you move to a smaller market, it better be one with a strong identity. Not just a mass of people that might be down for an afternoon ball game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)

Outside of OKC, that list includes some of the least profitable frachises in the league.

Also, it's not population size that determines a "major market" as much as possible fan base and revenue streams. Looking at the largest US metropolitan areas (obviously this is only cities with NBA teams, and I'm omitting some of the larger markets/bigger NBA fan bases):

4) Houston 2.1 million estimate in 2011

5) Philadelphia 1.5

6) Phoenix 1.47

7) San Antonio 1.4

12) Indianapolis 820k

17) Charlotte 750k

18) Detroit 706 k

20) Memphis 625k

21) Boston 625k

I don't really think you'd try to argue that Boston isn't a much better market/location than the teams above them.

Also, if we are going to go by population size, San Diego (8) and San Jose (10) seem like much better options.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
Outside of OKC, that list includes some of the least profitable frachises in the league.

Also, it's not population size that determines a "major market" as much as possible fan base and revenue streams. Looking at the largest US metropolitan areas (obviously this is only cities with NBA teams, and I'm omitting some of the larger markets/bigger NBA fan bases):

4) Houston 2.1 million estimate in 2011

5) Philadelphia 1.5

6) Phoenix 1.47

7) San Antonio 1.4

12) Indianapolis 820k

17) Charlotte 750k

18) Detroit 706 k

20) Memphis 625k

21) Boston 625k

I don't really think you'd try to argue that Boston isn't a much better market/location than the teams above them.

Also, if we are going to go by population size, San Diego (8) and San Jose (10) seem like much better options.

Pretty much. Virginia Beach is already taken care of. They have the Wizards.