Marlon Byrd suspended 50 games for using PEDs

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Thats nice but this doesnt belong here. Off to Diamond club

I posted this on the MLB thread, but since it now is a thread of its own I'll repost.

Ya know, I don't really want to continue to hate on the Tribune since they don't own the Cubs any longer, but.........If you read the headline in the Tribune it just reads Marlon Byrd suspended.... It doesn't mention his Cub connection until you open up the article. If it was a former Sox player it would very clearly state Former White Sox player XXXXXX suspended....... No matter how briefly or long ago he played here.

Not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
I posted this on the MLB thread, but since it now is a thread of its own I'll repost.

Ya know, I don't really want to continue to hate on the Tribune since they don't own the Cubs any longer, but.........If you read the headline in the Tribune it just reads Marlon Byrd suspended.... It doesn't mention his Cub connection until you open up the article. If it was a former Sox player it would very clearly state Former White Sox player XXXXXX suspended....... No matter how briefly or long ago he played here.

I agree 100%, the article says the Cubs are still paying him the rest of the 6M he's owed this season. I guess if you're Byrd you have nothing to lose. It's crazy to think a guy like that is making 6M a year, gotta be a Cubs contract

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:29 PM)
I agree 100%, the article says the Cubs are still paying him the rest of the 6M he's owed this season. I guess if you're Byrd you have nothing to lose. It's crazy to think a guy like that is making 6M a year, gotta be a Cubs contract

Hendry was a genius.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)

So wait...who saves the $2 million on his contract? Boston or the Cubs?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2512908.story

Always had a feeling he was a juicer. Just a sad thing to see to a nice guy struggling with the end up his career.

This same guy has had a working relationship with Victor Conte all the way through this season. I dont care how nice he is, he has been getting his "supplements" from Balco ground zero. It was only a matter of time

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
Weren't a lot of those bad trades and contracts forced on him by ownership?

Somewhat, yeah. Zell gave him the green light to spend whatever it takes to win a WS and up the franchise value while he sells. That was the main reason for the overbidding on Soriano. They did make the playoffs two straight years, and were the best regular season team in 08. But I think Marlon Byrd was after that spending spree, so that was just a bad contract on a guy with PED connections who only hit well in Texas.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Somewhat, yeah. Zell gave him the green light to spend whatever it takes to win a WS and up the franchise value while he sells. That was the main reason for the overbidding on Soriano. They did make the playoffs two straight years, and were the best regular season team in 08. But I think Marlon Byrd was after that spending spree, so that was just a bad contract on a guy with PED connections who only hit well in Texas.

Byrd was like a 3 yr/15mm deal, not that bad of a contract considering he as an AS for a year there. There are much worse Cubs signings in the past few years than Byrd.

He tested positive for tamoxifen, which is anti-estrogen pharmaceutical most commonly used by men when in post-cycle therapy. It was discovered as a breast cancer treatment oddly enough.

Byrd says he was given the stuff from a "holistic lifestyle coach" from Florida and didn't bother looking into what it was. If that story is true, the person that gave it to him was an idiot because this pharmaceutical does no good as a standalone addition to an exercise regimen, unless he has an endocrine dysfunction (in which case he should see a doctor)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Byrd was like a 3 yr/15mm deal, not that bad of a contract considering he as an AS for a year there. There are much worse Cubs signings in the past few years than Byrd.

Yeah that's true, he wasn't half bad in 2010. It should have been obvious that his stats were a bit inflated from Arlington/Conte though.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)

I see that the headline was changed this morning to read "Ex Cub" Marlon Byrd.

Maybe they checked this thread and felt so bad that they had been biased and have vowed to change their evil ways.

I actually think Conte is legit. He'd have to be absolutely bonkers to give athletes steroids after all the scrutiny that was and is still on him. I've spoken to him on twitter and while he is wildly realistic in terms of his industry knowledge and beliefs about the prevalence of doping (the MLB testing policy is VERY easy to get around if you know what you're doing)

I correspond with the real brains behind the BALCO drugs, Patrick Arnold, all the time. He is the chemist that created "the Cream" and "the Clear" and later went to prison for it (despite their apparent legal status at the time). He stays far from the juice now but is a legitimate and successful supplement salesman and routinely introduces safe, effective ingredients to the market. Fun fact is that he works out of Seymour, IL too and always did.

The mistake Conte is making is associating with professionals who have the incentive to cheat. He remains a top consultant for many anti-doping agencies.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
I actually think Conte is legit. He'd have to be absolutely bonkers to give athletes steroids after all the scrutiny that was and is still on him. I've spoken to him on twitter and while he is wildly realistic in terms of his industry knowledge and beliefs about the prevalence of doping (the MLB testing policy is VERY easy to get around if you know what you're doing)

I correspond with the real brains behind the BALCO drugs, Patrick Arnold, all the time. He is the chemist that created "the Cream" and "the Clear" and later went to prison for it (despite their apparent legal status at the time). He stays far from the juice now but is a legitimate and successful supplement salesman and routinely introduces safe, effective ingredients to the market. Fun fact is that he works out of Seymour, IL too and always did.

The mistake Conte is making is associating with professionals who have the incentive to cheat. He remains a top consultant for many anti-doping agencies.

Interesting, the "story behind the story".