Obama brings up Youkilis in a speech...mixed reaction

caulfield12

President Obama, speaking to what was supposed to be a crowd of avid supporters, elicited several seconds of loud boos.

At a fundraiser Monday in Boston, the president thanked the infamously sports-crazed city for trading Red Sox player Kevin Youkilis to his beloved Chicago White Sox.

"Finally, Boston I just want to say – Thank you for Youkilis," he said. "I’m just saying. He’s going to have to change the color of his 'sox' —ha, ha."

But as the audience outcry grew, he quickly added, "I didn’t think I’d get any “boos” out of here, but -- I guess I shouldn’t have -- I should not have brought up baseball. I understand.

"My mistake. My mistake," he said. "You’ve got to know your crowd."

Then, in the audience, a woman yelled, "We still love you!"

This post has been updated.

:lolhitting

They were probably doing that stupid "Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouk" thing while booing.

Probably not the greatest idea to go into "enemy territory" and bring up Youkilis.

Wonder if he came up with that "off the cuff" or it was pre-planned? Remember we had a thread not too long ago about this topic, and the fact that he couldn't name of the current White Sox players. Some were frustrated with that fact...just as probably others would have been even more upset had he been able to rattle off the starting line-up while the unemployment rate was whatever percent it still is.

The first time Luc Longley's mother came to America to watch him play in the NBA, the first possession her son touched the ball, she heard all of the fans suddenly boo loudly. She immediately became distraught & began crying at the fans hatred for her son, only later to be told they are were actually chanting "Luuuuuuuuuuuuc". True story.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
I really really hope that whole "Yooouuuuk" thing stays in Boston.

I love the Yooooooouuuk!" chants. I even did it myself while watching Youkilis at-bats last night.

I also loved the "Boooooooooooooonnnnnneeee!" chants that we had for a while when Boone Logan was here.

The first time Luc Longley's mother came to America to watch him play in the NBA, the first possession her son touched the ball, she heard all of the fans suddenly boo loudly. She immediately became distraught & began crying at the fans hatred for her son, only later to be told they are were actually chanting "Luuuuuuuuuuuuc". True story.

I remember that. One of those historical Chicago sports moments that only true fans know about...