Why Is Dan Johnson Still at Charlotte?

Lillian

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
As much as you hate KW, even you have to admit that he has gotten excellent value for the minor league players he has traded away in the past. He is very good at boosting their percieved value during the season and then shipping them off. Clayton Richard is a very good example of that, Poreda as well.

The difference between those guys and Walker and Thompson is Richard had *some* success as a starter when he was traded and Poreda put up good numbers in the minors. Walker and Thompson haven't had near the success of those two.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
And we have a roster with 9 rookies on it, on a team that is 3.5 games in first place.

No rookies in the starting lineup. They've made use of their Minor League system and for that they deserve credit.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
Good Luck getting a difference maker for Mitchell. You're either All In or not at this point.

Again, NO, this is fundamentally wrong. What you're seeing is the plausible, partial, rebuild-on-the-fly that KW is limited to (at least in his own mind, perhaps, but backed up by the historical meathook realities of Sox fandom). And it's working. See below.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
And we have a roster with 9 rookies on it, on a team that is 3.5 games in first place.

Whether we trade Mitchell or anyone else this year, we won't be "mortgaging the future" for immediate returns. And we don't need to.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
The difference between those guys and Walker and Thompson is Richard had *some* success as a starter when he was traded and Poreda put up good numbers in the minors. Walker and Thompson haven't had near the success of those two.

Its all about percieved value. KW builds it up through half seasons of success, he has done that for a long time.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Whether we trade Mitchell or anyone else this year, we won't be "mortgaging the future" for immediate returns. And we don't need to.

I don't think you can pencil in seasons like this next year from Sale, Peavy, Konerko, and AJ. The Sox have to take advantage of this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 11:14 AM)
I don't think you can pencil in seasons like this next year from Sale, Peavy, Konerko, and AJ. The Sox have to take advantage of this year.

I've said that about Paul Konerko the last 3-4 years.

I'm now willing to place funds on him proving you wrong.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:59 AM)
The vast majority of the bullpen, including the closer, is rookies, as are two starting pitchers.

And relievers are notoriously year-to-year performers. I like Reed beyond this year, but I'm going to wait on Jones and Santiago.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Its all about percieved value. KW builds it up through half seasons of success, he has done that for a long time.

I just don't see getting anything of consequence for Walker or Thompson. Given the Sox having the worst system in MLB, any team can beat that offer.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)

Some guys will be better (likely Beckham, DV, John Danks, Lexi), some guys will be worse.

Taking advantage of this year does not require the addition of a super-stud SP or RP, unless we get news that Danks or Crain is gone for the season.

Otherwise, a few tweaks, barring injury, and we'll be good to go. Thome, not Johnson.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)

Let me guess, you do this by trading Viciedo, because unlike the rest of Soxtalk and every GM in baseball, you understand that Viciedo really sucks. He's easily replaceable by Dan Johnson or someone of his ilk.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
Some guys will be better (likely Beckham, DV, John Danks, Lexi), some guys will be worse.

Taking advantage of this year does not require the addition of a super-stud SP or RP, unless we get news that Danks or Crain is gone for the season.

Otherwise, a few tweaks, barring injury, and we'll be good to go. Thome, not Johnson.

Don't forget...we also go into this offseason with >$15 million to spend just to get back to this year's payroll. Re-upping Peavy or AJ or Youk would take up chunks of that...but with this many rookies contributing, there's going to be plenty of money to fill that 3b hole if we want to spend there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
Let me guess, you do this by trading Viciedo, because unlike the rest of Soxtalk and every GM in baseball, you understand that Viciedo really sucks. He's easily replaceable by Dan Johnson or someone of his ilk.

Where did I write that Viciedo sucks? OTOH, you have gone on record as saying Youkillis is washed up. Maybe you're right.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:14 AM)

You also said that there wasn't anyone good in our farm system, and Kenny should be fired for it. Yet that system has us in first place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
Don't forget...we also go into this offseason with >$15 million to spend just to get back to this year's payroll. Re-upping Peavy or AJ or Youk would take up chunks of that...but with this many rookies contributing, there's going to be plenty of money to fill that 3b hole if we want to spend there.

What about MOREL?? We just HAVE to continue his development, right?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Where did I write that Viciedo sucks? OTOH, you have gone on record as saying Youkillis is washed up. Maybe you're right.

Yes, but they gave up crap to get him and are paying him peanuts. I don't have a problem with no risk moves, especially when your other best option is the ODog. Youkilis could break down today. I was terrified the White Sox were actually going to give up something useful to get him. His back is a question mark, his hand was in ice after his first game with the White Sox. He's sick to his stomach. Chances are Youk isn't going to be the answer. I hope he is, but as I stated before, its very rare another team is paying a player more money to play for his current team, than his current team and that player turns out to be a difference maker. You have said Viciedo is overrated. Slugging LFs are easy to find. Of course when asked to name a few who were easily available, you were uncharacteristically silent.

The Sox are in first place. Why don't you enjoy it? Every post is a whine.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

We neither need to give up on, nor commit to BMo. The proverbial bridge we'll cross when we get to it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
You also said that there wasn't anyone good in our farm system, and Kenny should be fired for it. Yet that system has us in first place.

I said KW should have been gone with Guillen at the end of last year. If they don't win or at the very least contend this year, he should be gone too. It's terrific we are in 1st place on June 30th.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)

It'd certainly be nice if he could add another cheap player to the roster, but I think it's clear that he has to prove he can stay healthy first, and back injuries are a mess.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Yes, but they gave up crap to get him and are paying him peanuts. I don't have a problem with no risk moves, especially when your other best option is the ODog. Youkilis could break down today. I was terrified the White Sox were actually going to give up something useful to get him. His back is a question mark, his hand was in ice after his first game with the White Sox. He's sick to his stomach. Chances are Youk isn't going to be the answer. I hope he is, but as I stated before, its very rare another team is paying a player more money to play for his current team, than his current team and that player turns out to be a difference maker. You have said Viciedo is overrated. Slugging LFs are easy to find. Of course when asked to name a few who were easily available, you were uncharacteristically silent.

The Sox are in first place. Why don't you enjoy it? Every post is a whine.

1.) Saying Viciedo is overrated (particularly on SoxTalk) isn't the same as saying he sucks.

2.) The Sox were never rumored to "give up too much" for Youkilis. Nice hedge on your part.

3.) Where could the Sox find a slugging LF'er? Really difficult to say .... Oh wait, Adam Dunn played LF as recently as 3 weeks ago.

4.) Every post a whine? Not enjoying the Sox in first place? Why do you feel the need to pass that kind of judgement based on postings on a message board?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
It's so easy to find a power hitting LF that the team with the $200 million payroll has DeWayne Wise in LF.

Trumpeting 9 rookies. It's folly not to think Jordan Danks could step in and be a suitable replacement for Viciedo.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
Trumpeting 9 rookies. It's folly not to think Jordan Danks could step in and be a suitable replacement for Viciedo.

:lolhitting

D2 might be a tolerable backup OF. He's a 26 year old who spent 2.5 years in AAA after being drafted out of college.