Why Is Dan Johnson Still at Charlotte?

Lillian

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
:lolhitting

D2 might be a tolerable backup OF. He's a 26 year old who spent 2.5 years in AAA after being drafted out of college.

He's part of this rookie class that has the Sox in front by 3 games on June 30th though.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
I just don't see getting anything of consequence for Walker or Thompson. Given the Sox having the worst system in MLB, any team can beat that offer.

First off, I didn't mean trading them right now. I was thinking more along the lines of 2013 or 2014.

Also, toolsy prospects always have value if they're still young. Are either of these guys going to headline a major trade at the moment? No, but they could be part of a package and their value could grow significantly if they improve.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
1.) Saying Viciedo is overrated (particularly on SoxTalk) isn't the same as saying he sucks.

2.) The Sox were never rumored to "give up too much" for Youkilis. Nice hedge on your part.

3.) Where could the Sox find a slugging LF'er? Really difficult to say .... Oh wait, Adam Dunn played LF as recently as 3 weeks ago.

4.) Every post a whine? Not enjoying the Sox in first place? Why do you feel the need to pass that kind of judgement based on postings on a message board?

1) You can't stop saying trade Viciedo. At no time have you mentioned he's a pretty decent looking young player. Nice try.

2) They had been rumored to be giving up Floyd at one point, Thornton, Crain, actually on the day of the deal. Boston wanted Parra and AZ to eat a lot more money than KW actually paid. No hedge on my part at all.

3)Adam Dun in LF full time? LMAO

4)I can read your posts. You are obviously a very unhappy individual.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
1) You can't stop saying trade Viciedo. At no time have you mentioned he's a pretty decent looking young player. Nice try.

2) They had been rumored to be giving up Floyd at one point, Thornton, Crain, actually on the day of the deal. Boston wanted Parra and AZ to eat a lot more money than KW actually paid. No hedge on my part at all.

3)Adam Dun in LF full time? LMAO

4)I can read your posts. You are obviously a very unhappy individual.

1.) I compared Viciedo to Nelson Cruz or Carlos Lee. Pretty decent players.

2.) You think Youlilis is washed up. Just stand by it, it's an opportunity for you to be right.

3.) If that was part of the price of getting a top-of-the-rotion starter, why not?

4.) You need to get out amongst the public more often if you are comfortable making that judgement based on message board posts. Turn off your PC, Dick.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
3.) If that was part of the price of getting a top-of-the-rotion starter, why not?

If the top of the rotation starter was under team control for a while, ok...but the 2 guys who might be on the market are FA's after this year, and that'd be a killer.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
1.) I compared Viciedo to Nelson Cruz or Carlos Lee. Pretty decent players.

2.) You think Youlilis is washed up. Just stand by it, it's an opportunity for you to be right.

4.) You need to get out amongst the public more often if you are comfortable making that judgement based on message board posts. Turn off your PC, Dick.

So you think Viciedo is a decent player? Many will be shocked. A thread started Viciedo is not worth the wait. With this post:

I don't believe Viciedo will be worth the wait, too many holes in his swing without much development of patience. At best I see him as a 5-6-7 hitter, not the dynamic 3-hitter we had hoped. I think it'd be a good move to deal him before his value drops further (see Beckham).

At best a 5-6-7 hitter. At best, so obviously not there yet.

I do think Youkilis is washed up, but his acquisition was well worth the small price paid, and hope I'm wrong.

You are miserable. Your main purpose in visiting this board is to get into arguments. You''re such a sourpuss you can't even get anyone to meet you for free beer.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
If the top of the rotation starter was under team control for a while, ok...but the 2 guys who might be on the market are FA's after this year, and that'd be a killer.

That's the gamble with Greinke. He's the guy I think they would have an opportunity to sign if they traded for him and had a deep playoff run. I don't see Peavy being brought back under virtually any circumstance.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
That's the gamble with Greinke. He's the guy I think they would have an opportunity to sign if they traded for him and had a deep playoff run. I don't see Peavy being brought back under virtually any circumstance.

Greinke is a guy I really don't want to spend big time money on. Between the emotional issues and that somewhat inconsistency in his career...I sorta think of him as a right handed John Danks right nwo. Stuff that could be better, but the last couple years has given an ERA pretty darn close to 4. Will win some games, but isn't the guy who won the cy young a couple years ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
You are miserable. Your main purpose in visiting this board is to get into arguments. You''re such a sourpuss

Wrong.

you can't even get anyone to meet you for free beer.

Wrong again. Get away from the PC before you make it a trifecta.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Greinke is a guy I really don't want to spend big time money on. Between the emotional issues and that somewhat inconsistency in his career...I sorta think of him as a right handed John Danks right nwo. Stuff that could be better, but the last couple years has given an ERA pretty darn close to 4. Will win some games, but isn't the guy who won the cy young a couple years ago.

Greinke's not perfect, but he'd be the best fit for the Sox, imo because the biggest spending clubs probably will shy away. That said, I don't think the Sox will go on the free agent market to upgrade the SP. Like I said, if the Sox had a deep run in the playoffs with Greinke, I could maybe see them working out a deal.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Greinke's not perfect, but he'd be the best fit for the Sox, imo because the biggest spending clubs probably will shy away. That said, I don't think the Sox will go on the free agent market to upgrade the SP. Like I said, if the Sox had a deep run in the playoffs with Greinke, I could maybe see them working out a deal.

So you think the Sox can get Greinke by giving up a guy with too many holes in his swing who at best develops into a 5-6-7 hitter and is not worth the wait. You're a piece of work Marty.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
So you think the Sox can get Greinke by giving up a guy with too many holes in his swing who at best develops into a 5-6-7 hitter and is not worth the wait. You're a piece of work Marty.

I don't know.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)

And of course, that doesn't mention the fact that the Brewers corner OF's are Hart and Braun. And they at least just signed Aramis at 3b. With that Aoki guy stuck in there also. And Matt Gamel as the long term guy they need to develop at 1b.

So Viciedo would be an ideal fit at SS for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
And of course, that doesn't mention the fact that the Brewers corner OF's are Hart and Braun. And they at least just signed Aramis at 3b. With that Aoki guy stuck in there also. And Matt Gamel as the long term guy they need to develop at 1b.

So Viciedo would be an ideal fit at SS for them.

Gamel, really??? Why would he stand in the way of a guy with the upside of Viciedo? Anyway, I believe there is a deal that can be made between the Sox and Brewers it just depends on if the Sox want to pay what will be a steep price.

I fly from Shanghai to LA to Chicago and still this argument is going on?

Hmmmph.

What next, we should package Quintana, Mitchell, Nathan Jones and Viciedo for Greinke and Richie Weeks, and move Beckham back to 3rd for 2013?

And give Greinke $125 million? Sure, why not? And we can play Adam Dunn in LF, that will help our outfield defense...and while we're at it, since we have Dunn in LF, we might as well get someone like Miguel Tejada or Nomar to play SS since Alexei's defense doesn't matter much to this team. Or why not just continue to contend with the likes of Escobar, Lillibridge or Ozzie Martinez?

I can just see the next Marty complaint....White Sox shouldn't be trading talent from the major league roster in order to improve for the future when this is their best chance to compete for the division before 2015. Fire KW!

Continue to believe this is an up and coming team with 9 rookies contributing if you want, but the reality of this team is it's window to win is now. When the Sox are 5 games under, 8 out at this time next year you'll be happy KW went for it this year.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
Continue to believe this is an up and coming team with 9 rookies contributing if you want, but the reality of this team is it's window to win is now. When the Sox are 5 games under, 8 out at this time next year you'll be happy KW went for it this year.

Wouldn't you have predicted that would be exactly our position THIS YEAR?

Now you've changed your focus from KW must be fired to we have to be "all in" again in 2012.

Sure, we lose Jake Peavy, but that $13 or 14 million salary will be used for another pitcher (yes, I realize the $4 million buyout is a sunk cost), or maybe two pitchers. Probably one pitcher and 3B, with Morel's status so up in the air, they have to address at least the gaping hole for next season.

With Sale, Danks, Quintana and FA, we can still compete realistically. And that's not even with Gavin Floyd back or expecting something out of Humber again.

If we were losing Konerko, Dunn or Rios, then you'd have a better argument. AJ can be brought back into the fold as well.

So other than Jake Peavy, what's your argument? That we won't replace that salary and will continue to pare down the roster to 2005 numbers?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Wouldn't you have predicted that would be exactly our position THIS YEAR?

Now you've changed your focus from KW must be fired to we have to be "all in" again in 2012.

Sure, we lose Jake Peavy, but that $13 or 14 million salary will be used for another pitcher (yes, I realize the $4 million buyout is a sunk cost), or maybe two pitchers. Probably one pitcher and 3B, with Morel's status so up in the air, they have to address at least the gaping hole for next season.

With Sale, Danks, Quintana and FA, we can still compete realistically. And that's not even with Gavin Floyd back or expecting something out of Humber again.

If we were losing Konerko, Dunn or Rios, then you'd have a better argument. AJ can be brought back into the fold as well.

So other than Jake Peavy, what's your argument? That we won't replace that salary and will continue to pare down the roster to 2005 numbers?

Funny that you bring up changing focus because you change stances more than anyone. I'm going to state right now that you have an agenda.

To answer your question about predicting this year's team to be 5 under and 8 out at this point, no. I said this team would contend (not to pat myself on the back, but I was the first to write it on this board), others said they'd lose 90 games.

As far as next year goes, Konerko, Dunn, Rios all a year older. Sale's tender elbow, Danks, tender shoulder. Replacing Youkilis, Peavy, and A.J. This team's window is now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
Funny that you bring up changing focus because you change stances more than anyone. I'm going to state right now that you have an agenda.

To answer your question about predicting this year's team to be 5 under and 8 out at this point, no. I said this team would contend (not to pat myself on the back, but I was the first to write it on this board), others said they'd lose 90 games.

As far as next year goes, Konerko, Dunn, Rios all a year older. Sale's tender elbow, Danks, tender shoulder. Replacing Youkilis, Peavy, and A.J. This team's window is now.

Hahaha. What is my agenda exactly, to defend KW from your bromides?

If you were predicting the White Sox to contend, why in the name of Allah would it possibly make sense that their GM would be fired after lowering payroll by $25 million yet still retaining a first place team?? Because of lowered attendance/profitability?

You didn't mention Alexei Ramirez would be a year older, lol.

We'll have $15-25 million to replace those last three guys, and arguably more with a playoff appearance or deep run.

Sale had a tender elbow for one week. It's not like it has been a consistent problem all season long. He's learned how to ease off with the fastball except when he really needs to bring it in key high leverage situations.

Danks will be fine, in fact, adding him will be like trading for another pitcher.

You argument about Sale doesn't hold water because he should be able to throw 180-210 innings next year, compared to 150-160 this year. Same with Quintana.

Rios is still in very good physical condition. Dunn's been in the best shape of his career.

The bullpen will only get better and better, with more experience.

And Molina might actually turn out to be a decent prospect if they resolve his health problems. Not to mention they've got Simon Castro and perhaps Beck on track as starters in the pipeline, Rienzo, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Hahaha. What is my agenda exactly, to defend KW from your bromides?

If you were predicting the White Sox to contend, why in the name of Allah would it possibly make sense that their GM would be fired after lowering payroll by $25 million yet still retaining a first place team?? Because of lowered attendance/profitability?

You didn't mention Alexei Ramirez would be a year older, lol.

We'll have $15-25 million to replace those last three guys, and arguably more with a playoff appearance or deep run.

Sale had a tender elbow for one week. It's not like it has been a consistent problem all season long. He's learned how to ease off with the fastball except when he really needs to bring it in key high leverage situations.

Danks will be fine, in fact, adding him will be like trading for another pitcher.

You argument about Sale doesn't hold water because he should be able to throw 180-210 innings next year, compared to 150-160 this year. Same with Quintana.

Rios is still in very good physical condition. Dunn's been in the best shape of his career.

The bullpen will only get better and better, with more experience.

And Molina might actually turn out to be a decent prospect if they resolve his health problems. Not to mention they've got Simon Castro and perhaps Beck on track as starters in the pipeline, Rienzo, etc.

Danks will be fine, Sale's elbow is a non-issue, bullpen getting better and better. The Tigers win 3 of 4 next week and you'll write all hell is breaking loose and that there's no way the Sox can stave them off.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 2, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
Danks will be fine, Sale's elbow is a non-issue, bullpen getting better and better. The Tigers win 3 of 4 next week and you'll write all hell is breaking loose and that there's no way the Sox can stave them off.

Nope.

Although you'll probably want KW fired if that happens, lol.

• 2 months later...