The Next Four

hi8is

Riding win streak, Yanks welcome White Sox to Bronx

By Adam Berry / MLB.com | 6/27/2012 5:52 PM ET

Just when the streaking Yankees had their rotation in perfect working order, Wednesday's news threw a wrench into their plans.

The Bombers will enter Thursday night's series opener against the White Sox on a five-game winning streak, having won 15 of their past 18 and 25 of their past 32. They've won 11 of 15 at home, own the best record in the Majors and have swept four of their last six series.

But with CC Sabathia on the 15-day disabled list until after the All-Star break and Andy Pettitte out for at least six weeks, the rest of the Yankees will have to step up. That begins Thursday with right-hander Ivan Nova, who will square off with White Sox righty Dylan Axelrod, making his third start of the season.

"Obviously, tough day for us with two big lefties going down. But nobody's going to feel sorry for us," Alex Rodriguez said. "Everybody's got to carry their own weight around here and play good baseball. That's it.

"It's a good test. We've been tested a little bit more than we'd like to be tested around here. [Mariano Rivera] went down, and guys have stepped up. [brett] Gardner went down, other guys stepped up. We'll have to do the same. It's a long season. When you come out of Spring Training and break camp, you don't expect to have 25 guys healthy the whole year. Today is another challenge, and I think we'll do fine."

Axelrod, meanwhile, is coming off an outing in which he allowed four runs on six hits in 5 1/3 innings. He was tagged with a no-decision against Milwaukee on Saturday, but Chicago went on to win, 8-6.

The 26-year-old said he learned during that outing that he'll have to mix his pitches better, especially against a tough lineup like New York's. He is, however, excited to pitch under the lights at Yankee Stadium for the first time.

"I'm not building it up. It's just more of a gratifying thing to be able to pitch in that stadium. It doesn't get much better than that," Axelrod said. "It's just excitement. It's one of the biggest stages you can be on. ... But between the lines, it's the same dimensions, same field. So I'm not nervous in any way. I'm just really excited to have the opportunity to pitch there."

White Sox: Youkilis facing Yanks with new Sox

• Kevin Youkilis has played the Yankees plenty of times in his career, but he'll be doing so Thursday for the first time in his new uniform.

The longtime Red Sox third baseman is entering on a hot streak, too, as his 3-for-4 performance Wednesday extended his hitting streak to seven games. He's batting .423 with three doubles in that span, and he's 5-for-12 since joining the White Sox.

"I'll take all the yelling at and screaming at for the whole team for four days," Youkilis said with a grin. "They'll probably hound me and get on me pretty good. I know they definitely don't hate me as much as they used to, once I changed teams. But it'll be fun."

• Adam Dunn snapped an 0-for-24 skid in the fifth inning Wednesday with a home run, the 389th of his career, tying Johnny Bench for 56th on baseball's all-time home run leaderboard.

Yankees: Warren, Igarashi called up

• Right-hander Adam Warren will make his Major League debut Friday in place of Sabathia. Warren is 5-5 with a 3.86 ERA at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Ryota Igarashi, who allowed five runs on six hits and four walks in two innings over three games this season, will also join the Yankees.

Freddy Garcia, who won Wednesday's game with 2 1/3 perfect innings, will start Monday in place of Pettitte.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 09:04 PM)
I remember when he swept the Yankees in the Bronx in 2000. Gotta love that one game where we scored 17 runs, 12 in the first two innings.

That seven-game road sweep in NY & Cleveland is probably my favorite pre-2005 Sox moment.

It is not a good time to be coming to NYC to face the red-hot Yanks,no doubt....my god...25-7 in the last 32....15-3 in their last 18..yikes.... I swear that right field fence is about 290 ft from home plate....yesterday I saw the 2nd baseman almost make the warning track on a high pop up before he yielded to the right fielder....it is crazy,stupid short,and the Yanks have a lineup built to take full advantage...it is similar to the Twins in the old Metrodome...huge home court advantage.

Now,Sox face 4 righthanders in Nova(hot right now, with a 1.28 era in his last 4 starts),Warren,Kuroda and Hughes,so in theory our lefties, (DeAza,Dunn,AJ,Danks,Hudson,Escobar) could maybe pull a pitch over that short wall also...but hard to match Cano(7homers in 10 games),Jeter(might as well be a lefty with his swing,altho Gordo's swing is similar right now),Tex,Swisher,A-Rod,ect.

I would be very happy with a split,but am braced for worse.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
It is not a good time to be coming to NYC to face the red-hot Yanks,no doubt....my god...25-7 in the last 32....15-3 in their last 18..yikes.... I swear that right field fence is about 290 ft from home plate....yesterday I saw the 2nd baseman almost make the warning track on a high pop up before he yielded to the right fielder....it is crazy,stupid short,and the Yanks have a lineup built to take full advantage...it is similar to the Twins in the old Metrodome...huge home court advantage.

Now,Sox face 4 righthanders in Nova(hot right now, with a 1.28 era in his last 4 starts),Warren,Kuroda and Hughes,so in theory our lefties, (DeAza,Dunn,AJ,Danks,Hudson,Escobar) could maybe pull a pitch over that short wall also...but hard to match Cano(7homers in 10 games),Jeter(might as well be a lefty with his swing,altho Gordo's swing is similar right now),Tex,Swisher,A-Rod,ect.

I would be very happy with a split,but am braced for worse.

To paraphrase a line from Apollo 13, "Oh contrare gentlemen, I believe that this is going to be our finest hour!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
That seven-game road sweep in NY & Cleveland is probably my favorite pre-2005 Sox moment.

That was fantastic. I remember fans actually gave them a standing ovation when they arrived home from that road trip. We can use a series like that vs NY again ;) However, I will be more than content with a series split. NY is playing really good ball right now. I am looking for an offensive explosion from our guys!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
That was fantastic. I remember fans actually gave them a standing ovation when they arrived home from that road trip. We can use a series like that vs NY again ;) However, I will be more than content with a series split. NY is playing really good ball right now. I am looking for an offensive explosion from our guys!

The first game back in Chicago after that trip was so awesome.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 05:41 AM)
They flashed Warrens numbers in the minors this year during the game today....99 hits and 27 walks in 89 innings.

Sox need to welcome him rudely to the big leagues in his first MLB start.

Kuroda has been good this year and Nova is 9-2,so no picnic,but it sure beats facing CC and Pettitte.

I agree but then again we have never faced the guy. Sometimes it seems that a guy could be a 90 year oldster/prospect but the first time we see him he becomes Cy Young(ster)