Septimo gets the call

Tdog32

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With our long man now in the rotation, dont we need someone for potential multiple innings? Who maintains that role now?

Why am I referring to Chicago's American League Major League Baseball Franchise club as "we"? I certainly don't play for them.

Also, why was the sentence mostly capitol case? Maybe I should try camelCase instead.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
I love it. Where was this first reported though? I have not seen it anywhere. The Sox beat writers are horrible.

I think Tdog has a guy...or is the guy.

The way they've used Septimo this year has been unusual. One inning, 3 or 4 days off, one inning, 2 or 3 days off.

Not very Loogy like.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...&pid=465015

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
I think Tdog has a guy...or is the guy.

The way they've used Septimo this year has been unusual. One inning, 3 or 4 days off, one inning, 2 or 3 days off.

Not very Loogy like.

Nice. Good info. Our beat writers are still horrible though. My god. Is Septimo 27 years old? What is the back story? Has he been in the minors forever?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)
Nice. Good info. Our beat writers are still horrible though. My god. Is Septimo 27 years old? What is the back story? Has he been in the minors forever?

Sox picked him up mid-last season, to little fanfare. But what is interesting is, look at his walk numbers. They dropped about 30% last year after coming over, went down further still this year, and down more than his current year in his last 10 games. They obviously worked with him on something, and it seems to be working. He always struck out a ton of guys, but now his walks have gone from atrocious to only mildly scary.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:49 PM)

He has had control issues in the past that kept him from breaking out. This year his BB/9 has dropped to 4.7 from a career average of 7.3, and his H/9 has dropped to 4.2 from a career average of 7.0, while his K/9 has stayed at 11.6, which is over his average of 10.6.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
He has had control issues in the past that kept him from breaking out. This year his BB/9 has dropped to 4.7 from a career average of 7.3, and his H/9 has dropped to 4.2 from a career average of 7.0, while his K/9 has stayed at 11.6, which is over his average of 10.6.

I am sure we will see for ourselves this weekend just what kind of LH relief help he is. I know some might be uncomfortable with the bullpen youth, but I kind of like the fact we are able to bring up our own talent and not have to trade it away for help

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)

Not very Loogy like.

They don't use him like a loogy, but his numbers suggest he's probably not all that different from Ohman performance wise. Dominates lefties, walks a ton of righties.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
I am sure we will see for ourselves this weekend just what kind of LH relief help he is. I know some might be uncomfortable with the bullpen youth, but I kind of like the fact we are able to bring up our own talent and not have to trade it away for help

This X 2

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
They don't use him like a loogy, but his numbers suggest he's probably not all that different from Ohman performance wise. Dominates lefties, walks a ton of righties.

I'm not sure I mind a LOOGY walking a righty. I mind it a lot more when the righty homers off of him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
I'm not sure I mind a LOOGY walking a righty. I mind it a lot more when the righty homers off of him.

This. It seems to me that you have to be aware of your limitations and not try to be the hero. Pitch to rightys but offer them nothing all that good. Make them get themselves out, or take the walk.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
No offense to anyone, but I don't think he'll be up long.

Do you see Robin tolerating wildness from any of his bullpen members for an extended period of time?

Clearly Septimo and Bruney are the first 2 guys on the list to go down if Danks and Humber can come back. But they certainly have th e right to earn the chance to stay.