AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:39 AM)
Axelrod's not going to be in the rotation longer than it'll take Phil or John to get healthy. As long as he keeps going out there and simply gives us a chance to win, that's all I'm asking for.

Axelrod would be in starting rotation if he were on the Rockies' roster.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not drinking the Axelrod kool-aid. I'm thrilled with how he did yesterday, but I need to see him throw more strikes and pitch with a bit more confidence. He's surviving right now nibbling on the outside of the plate , never throwing anything straight or in the zone with 2 strikes...but eventually that's going to burn him. Maybe that's not the way he normally pitches.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 06:19 AM)
For having the worst farm system in the history of baseball, the Sox sure got some nice contributions last night from Axelrod, Tank, & Reed. :gosoxretro:

Even though De Aza wasn't brought up with the Sox, you can say him too since he did spend time with the Sox farm system.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
Axelrod's not going to be in the rotation longer than it'll take Phil or John to get healthy. As long as he keeps going out there and simply gives us a chance to win, that's all I'm asking for.

Exactly. He is a spot starter at this point. He did a pretty good job yesterday, but Danks and Humber are the rotation guys

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)

If Axelrod pitches well vs the Rangers in his next start I think they would let him pitch over Humber. Danks returning would clearly take his spot but that still seems a month or so away.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
If Axelrod pitches well vs the Rangers in his next start I think they would let him pitch over Humber. Danks returning would clearly take his spot but that still seems a month or so away.

Not a chance. If Humber comes back healthy, he gets at least a few starts to prove his stuff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Not a chance. If Humber comes back healthy, he gets at least a few starts to prove his stuff.

If you break down what Humber has done since the perfect game, and what he has done at USCF over the last year, he really has no business pitching in this rotation. And possibly may not have a spot on the roster at all.

Now will they give him a last shot? Probably. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was off the team by the first week of August.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
If you break down what Humber has done since the perfect game, and what he has done at USCF over the last year, he really has no business pitching in this rotation. And possibly may not have a spot on the roster at all.

Now will they give him a last shot? Probably. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was off the team by the first week of August.

His ceiling is way higher than Axe, which is why he will get a shot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I'm still not drinking the Axelrod kool-aid. I'm thrilled with how he did yesterday, but I need to see him throw more strikes and pitch with a bit more confidence. He's surviving right now nibbling on the outside of the plate , never throwing anything straight or in the zone with 2 strikes...but eventually that's going to burn him. Maybe that's not the way he normally pitches.

That is the epitome of a major league pitcher who does not have over powering stuff. He will be in the MLB as long as he can do the things you said. When he can no longer get by with cunning and guile he will be gone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
And Axelrod has even less.

I agree but if Axelrod is doing the job he will keep it then Sale will be shutdown for a few starts when Danks gets back as will Quintana if he is going well and then when they are all back neither Humber or Axelrod will have a job.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
I agree but if Axelrod is doing the job he will keep it then Sale will be shutdown for a few starts when Danks gets back as will Quintana if he is going well and then when they are all back neither Humber or Axelrod will have a job.

Or the possibility exists that if everyone is healthy and pitching well, maybe a Gavin Floyd gets dangled to see what happens in this trade market.

Regardless I think because of the injury, Humber is clearly ahead of Axelrod on the depth chart. Unless Axe goes on a Quintana like run, he will be out before Humber. Unless there are problems with rookies in the pen, Axe will be the first guy to go to the minors when Danks or Humber is ready to come off the DL.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)

I actually doubt they would shut down Sale, have they said anything about Sale limit that I am probably unaware of. Especially being in the thick of the playoff races its going to be really tough having to shut down Sale who has been arguably the best pitcher in the league

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
I actually doubt they would shut down Sale, have they said anything about Sale limit that I am probably unaware of. Especially being in the thick of the playoff races its going to be really tough having to shut down Sale who has been arguably the best pitcher in the league

The big thing they have been doing is pushing him back a day or two when ever they get the chance, and using him on 5 to 6 days rest whenever possible.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)

Plus major league teams don't have a scouting report on Axelrod yet. Might be beneficial for him at least this season.