AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
I don't think anybody like the Axelrod match up lol. But he did the best thing he will ever do in his career tonight haha.

I don't think so, he'll do more in the majors than just this. He's not an incredibly gifted pitcher, but he's a very smart pitcher who mixes his speeds well. I'm not sure he has a future in the AL, but he definitely has the look of a guy who can carve out a niche in a rotation in the NL.

The one thing I'd really like to see from him is to further develop a fastball that moves. If he can add not only the standard Cooper Cutter, but a 2 seamer that runs a little away from lefties, he could be a very dangerous pitcher. I really liked his changeup.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
Looked like a pretty wide strike zone being called. That plays well for Axelrod and they took advantage. That works for me.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Really? Gamecast made it look like half the balls were actually strikes. Either way, it worked out for our Arod!

It was an inconsistent strike zone all night. In Swisher's last AB, the 3-0 pitch looked to be about 6 inches outside, and I seem to recall Pierzynski almost having to lunge for it, and Santiago somehow got the call and then retired Swisher.

---

During Viciedo's AB, Hawk mentioned the gap in left center (and I don't understand why they were shifted that way anyways, at that point in the game, just play no doubles straight defense, not that it mattered) and said that if Viciedo hit it there, the game would be tied. I said "just hit it over the fence and then you don't have to worry about it." Next pitch and I fist-pumped.

Stealing a win in the Bronx is awesome.

Reed is still shaky as hell sometimes. Scares me, hopefully he only gets better with more experience

Quintana tomorrow. Little bit of a revenge game? I'm feeling a dominating performance...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 02:02 AM)
Stealing a win in the Bronx is awesome.

Reed is still shaky as hell sometimes. Scares me, hopefully he only gets better with more experience

Quintana tomorrow. Little bit of a revenge game? I'm feeling a dominating performance...

I'm not. I'm feeling New Q being brought way back to Earth tomorrow.

That was by far the most exciting win of the season. They took advantage of a huge throwing error and good teams usually do that. This team just keeps surprising me. Viciedo is getting better and better. And i am just going to say it now- our most under rated player is De Aza. This dude just quietly brings it every day and has been a catalyst for our offense. This team is fun to watch :)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 12:21 AM)
I don't think so, he'll do more in the majors than just this. He's not an incredibly gifted pitcher, but he's a very smart pitcher who mixes his speeds well. I'm not sure he has a future in the AL, but he definitely has the look of a guy who can carve out a niche in a rotation in the NL.

The one thing I'd really like to see from him is to further develop a fastball that moves. If he can add not only the standard Cooper Cutter, but a 2 seamer that runs a little away from lefties, he could be a very dangerous pitcher. I really liked his changeup.

Some guys out-pitch their stuff ala Mark Buehrle, and some guys under-pitch it, ala Javy Vazquez. Axe seems like a guy who is going to out-pitch it. With the roster now, he has the worst stuff on the staff by far, and he just went down and shutdown a red hot Yankees team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
Some guys out-pitch their stuff ala Mark Buehrle, and some guys under-pitch it, ala Javy Vazquez. Axe seems like a guy who is going to out-pitch it. With the roster now, he has the worst stuff on the staff by far, and he just went down and shutdown a red hot Yankees team.

The key for a guy like Axelrod is going to be durability. He's going to have some solid games and he's going to have some games where he has to fight through things with people hitting him...but if he can go out there every 5th day and be consistent in terms of health, and give 200+ innings a year, then you live with an ERA somewhere in the 4's.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 06:19 AM)
For having the worst farm system in the history of baseball, the Sox sure got some nice contributions last night from Axelrod, Tank, & Reed. :gosoxretro:

They have eight rookies on their roster right now, after the add of Septimo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
The key for a guy like Axelrod is going to be durability. He's going to have some solid games and he's going to have some games where he has to fight through things with people hitting him...but if he can go out there every 5th day and be consistent in terms of health, and give 200+ innings a year, then you live with an ERA somewhere in the 4's.

There is nothing about his pitches or his delivery that screams injury. His has a very smooth approach and delivery, plus no arm taxing pitches.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Axelrod's not going to be in the rotation longer than it'll take Phil or John to get healthy. As long as he keeps going out there and simply gives us a chance to win, that's all I'm asking for.

Between Axelrod, Quintana, and Castro down at AAA, they're going to make it tough to whittle down next year's rotation to 5 if they keep this up. And that's assuming Floyd and Peavy get moved.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 08:39 AM)
Axelrod's not going to be in the rotation longer than it'll take Phil or John to get healthy. As long as he keeps going out there and simply gives us a chance to win, that's all I'm asking for.

Not this year. But if he shows something, he could facilitate a Floyd trade in the off season.