AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
That is the epitome of a major league pitcher who does not have over powering stuff. He will be in the MLB as long as he can do the things you said. When he can no longer get by with cunning and guile he will be gone.

Guys that pitched the way I described don't last. Quintana is the antithesis of the way that Axelrod has been pitching.

Quintana: ahead of every batter, commanding both sides of the plate, trusting his fastball, aggressive pitching in the zone

Axelrod: throws almost exclusively to the low outside part of the zone, getting behind too often/not throwing pitches near the strike zone when ahead in the count, abandons fastball when ahead in the count

Maybe Axe will come out and pitch like Quintana eventually, but right now he looks lucky because he is.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
If Axelrod is pitching well I see no reason why you put Humber back in to suck for a few more starts to realize he isn't very good. This all can become moot if the Rangers beat around Axel next week anyways.

Referring back to Humbers numbers from last year, the guy have some sort of ability. Coming off of an elbow injury, there is a pretty good chance that his performance was being hindered by said injury. The Sox will recognize this and see if the old Humber is there or not. Even at his best Axe isn't going to put up season numbers like Humber did.

Also, Humber deserves a shot over Axelrod, more or less regardless of what Axel does. Humber has shown the ability to do everything better than Axel. If he doesn't do everything better after a few starts, he'll find a new role.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
Also, Humber deserves a shot over Axelrod, more or less regardless of what Axel does. Humber has shown the ability to do everything better than Axel. If he doesn't do everything better after a few starts, he'll find a new role.

He has been in the majors for 5-6 years and has shown the ability of having a good 3 months once... that is hardly showing anything. If Humber rehabs and is throwing 0's in Charlotte maybe I'll have a change of heart but the fact the guy gave us anything is more than anyone can have expected and given his results this season not sure why people would want him back in the rotation.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Guys that pitched the way I described don't last. Quintana is the antithesis of the way that Axelrod has been pitching.

Quintana: ahead of every batter, commanding both sides of the plate, trusting his fastball, aggressive pitching in the zone

Axelrod: throws almost exclusively to the low outside part of the zone, getting behind too often/not throwing pitches near the strike zone when ahead in the count, abandons fastball when ahead in the count

Maybe Axe will come out and pitch like Quintana eventually, but right now he looks lucky because he is.

Agreed. I like the stones on the kid, but don't think Axe is viable long term.

Great test for Q tonight, but he's shown me a lot already.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
Agreed. I like the stones on the kid, but don't think Axe is viable long term.

Great test for Q tonight, but he's shown me a lot already.

A pitcher doesn't need to have a sub 3 ERA to be useful. If he can put up an era in the 4's, and conveniently be cheap...great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
A pitcher doesn't need to have a sub 3 ERA to be useful. If he can put up an era in the 4's, and conveniently be cheap...great.

I hear you, I just think Axe was incredibly lucky last night, Nova too. But hell, I hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
He has been in the majors for 5-6 years and has shown the ability of having a good 3 months once... that is hardly showing anything. If Humber rehabs and is throwing 0's in Charlotte maybe I'll have a change of heart but the fact the guy gave us anything is more than anyone can have expected and given his results this season not sure why people would want him back in the rotation.

He hadn't even reached 50 MLB IP when we got him. He's had major arm surgery and was a classic "Coop will fix 'em" guy since everyone knew his talent and he just hadn't quite put it together yet.

When his peripherals this year look more like they did other times he hasn't succeeded, I'll be more convinced that he doesn't have a chance. He has a walk rate that is just out of this world for him right now, which may be explained by injury. If he has more bad starts, you let him go to the bullpen and if that doesn't work, you let him walk.