6/29/12 GT: Sox at Yank$

Jake

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
I predict we score 3 runs in the first inning, 5 in the second inning and 6 runs in the next seven innings. White Sox win 14-0

One could also interpret that to say the White Sox will score 50 runs.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
You mean he becomes qualified for it, right? Because there is no way in hell he has a chance against Mike Trout.

If Trout got hurt tomorrow, there would be a shot. What if the Sox drafted Trout instead of Mitchell?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:19 PM)
in before "23 other teams passed up on Trout as well."

The Sox also passed on Pujols several times. The point I'm making is the White Sox and some fans have been using their draft position as an excuse for not developing a lot of good players in the past decade. They have had opportunities to draft a lot of good ones. Of course, the problem could have been in their developmental personnel. Had they had drafted guys like Trout, Pujols, Pedroia (I'm cherrypicking, I know) maybe they don't become the players they became.

It does help a team, especially one where payroll is always under discussion, to develop some home grown stars. Maybe the Sox are turning a corner, but if they had Trout and he was as good as he is now, Anthony Rizzo wouldn't be page 5 news. I wonder where he was on the Sox board.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
The Sox also passed on Pujols several times. The point I'm making is the White Sox and some fans have been using their draft position as an excuse for not developing a lot of good players in the past decade. They have had opportunities to draft a lot of good ones. Of course, the problem could have been in their developmental personnel. Had they had drafted guys like Trout, Pujols, Pedroia (I'm cherrypicking, I know) maybe they don't become the players they became.

It does help a team, especially one where payroll is always under discussion, to develop some home grown stars. Maybe the Sox are turning a corner, but if they had Trout and he was as good as he is now, Anthony Rizzo wouldn't be page 5 news. I wonder where he was on the Sox board.

Other than Tizzle, nobody here has dismissed the notion that you have to have a top-5 pick every year to build up a farm system more than I have. I agree with everything you've said here. I just threw that initial post out there before somebody else did.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)

Obviously it helps to have higher picks, especially 1-5 or 1-10, but you can certainly find great players throughout the draft. It certainly is a bit more difficult though.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Am I the only one on this board that doesn't hate the Yanks?

I envy their success. I envy their almost limitless resources. I don't hate particular players just because they're Yankees. Derek Jeter, for example, is one of the best players of his generation.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
You mean he becomes qualified for it, right? Because there is no way in hell he has a chance against Mike Trout.

Yes, that is what I meant. I certainly wasn't predicting a ROY win for him, more just pointing it out because he's then no longer a "prospect" by that standard, and I was surprised he already reached that many innings. That's all.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
Am I the only one on this board that doesn't hate the Yanks?

Do you really want or need and answer? :lolhitting But, I hate the Twins more

Edited by elrockinMT