Gamethread: Sox vs Yanks 7/1/12

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about selfish, but it's a dumb approach. He should learn from Paulie. You have to take some pitches and not swing that hard every time. He really does remind me of Uribe sometimes. Other times he looks like a guy with huge upside.

Paulie is a good hitter. Viciedo is just a hacker, he's in the Adam Dunn mold I fear.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Just like your boy Alex Rios did as a 27 year old in 2009 and a 29 year old in 2011?

I never made excuses for him. All I said was that given the enormous salary we owed him, it was in our best interests to continue playing him.

And honestly, Alex and Tank are such similar players with similar faults, that is a perfect analogy.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 08:04 PM)
Paulie is a good hitter. Viciedo is just a hacker, he's in the Adam Dunn mold I fear.

Yeah I'd agree he's a hacker. He simply swings at almost every pitch.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Walks per year:

2009: 23 (AA)

2010: 13 (AAA-Big league bench)

2011: 54

Done. I've shown you that he can.

I'm talking about the MLB level and you damn-well know it.

How many motherf***ing walks does he have this year?

Except Dunn still gets on base at a very good clip. Dayan hacks, but doesn't walk.

Tell me about it. He's brutal. Someone must have told him that walking is for girls at some point in his career because he's allergic to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't know about selfish, but it's a dumb approach. He should learn from Paulie. You have to take some pitches and not swing that hard every time. He really does remind me of Uribe sometimes. Other times he looks like a guy with huge upside.

When Paul Konerko was 23 he didn't have this good of an approach.

And, when Paul Konerko was 23, he had 2232 minor league PA's under his belt. Viciedo had 1299.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm talking about the MLB level and you damn-well know it.

How many motherf***ing walks does he have this year?

12. How many motherf***ing 23 year olds can be legit contributors without any struggles?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)

And, when Paul Konerko was 23, he had 2232 minor league PA's under his belt. Viciedo had 1299.

Viciedo has Cuban experience. That counts as minor league experience.

He's played baseball all his life. He knows better than to swing as hard as he can every time. He is having a solid year for his first full MLB season, but it doesn't excuse the fact that he is often very selfish at the plate many times. Thursday night swinging for the fences in that situation was fine, but he takes that approach nearly every time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:08 PM)
Viciedo has Cuban experience. That counts as minor league experience.

Ok, Paul Konerko probably played baseball in high school. That counts too under that silly of a standard. After all, Viciedo was playing baseball at age 15!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)

Good stats.

It should be interesting to see how he changes his approach. Isn't there a chance he's 27 or 28 though?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
12. How many motherf***ing 23 year olds can be legit contributors without any struggles?

I don't mind struggles. He's not showing a capacity to improve his weaknesses...those same weaknesses which will relegate him to being Russell Branyon.

Viciedo is no Konerko.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
Ok, Paul Konerko probably played baseball in high school. That counts too under that silly of a standard. After all, Viciedo was playing baseball at age 15!

You are smarter than this. Are you going to argue that the professional Cuban league is the same as high school ball in the US?

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jul 1, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
He's played baseball all his life. He knows better than to swing as hard as he can every time. He is having a solid year for his first full MLB season, but it doesn't excuse the fact that he is often very selfish at the plate many times. Thursday night swinging for the fences in that situation was fine, but he takes that approach nearly every time.

Do you really think that very many people come into the bigs and actually know that? Hell, just thinking about guys in this game, Robinson Cano didn't know that, Curtis Granderson didn't know that (dude struck out 174 times in his first full year).