• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Why not have Josh Phegley replace him?

How do you know a guy who is OPSing 250 pts LESS than Flowers did at AAA is going to be better than Flowers at the major league level? I'm just saying, yeah, Flowers sucks right now, but I don't see anyone to replace him with that would be any better.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Yeah I don't know what people expect out of a backup catcher that plays as rare as Flowers does.... he plays good defense and has thrown out baserunners anything more is gravy.

Except he cant even put the ball in play when the bases are loaded. Thats kind of an issue.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:22 PM)
How do you know a guy who is OPSing 250 pts LESS than Flowers did at AAA is going to be better than Flowers at the major league level? I'm just saying, yeah, Flowers sucks right now, but I don't see anyone to replace him with that would be any better.

So that means dont try it?

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
Yeah I don't know what people expect out of a backup catcher that plays as rare as Flowers does.... he plays good defense and has thrown out baserunners anything more is gravy.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
The thing with Flowers is that if he is doing the job at calling the game he is fine.

I wish he hit better...but it's not that big of a need, honestly. ^^^

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)

I expect the greatness that was Chris Widger.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
I wish he hit better...but it's not that big of a need, honestly. ^^^

I agree. It's hard enough to find an everyday catcher who can hit, backup catchers that can hit are extremely rare. I'm happy with Flowers catching ability.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
So that means dont try it?

There is seriously no reason to expect that Phegley would step in as a part time player and somehow be more effective than Flowers in that role. Phegley's been on the DL for so much of his minor league career that he's averaged under 300 PA's a year.

If you're looking for a backup C upgrade who can take that 1 day a week job and have more success it's going to be through the trade market.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
There is seriously no reason to expect that Phegley would step in as a part time player and somehow be more effective than Flowers in that role. Phegley's been on the DL for so much of his minor league career that he's averaged under 300 PA's a year.

If you're looking for a backup C upgrade who can take that 1 day a week job and have more success it's going to be through the trade market.

I have no problem with trading for one.