I f*cking love Kevin Youkilis

Steve9347

I will give Kenny credit for one thing...in juxtaposing it to what the Chicago Blackhawks do...I don't think Kenny makes moves with the intent on 'making a splash' or for public relations. And also unlike the Blackhawks his moves have real direction.

Yes, sometimes Kenny gives up too much or maybe doesn't get enough, but there is a clear mission to what kenny is doing. Never once has he made a move and I have gone, "why would he pick up a third baseman" or "a relief pitcher? really?" His moves MAKE SENSE even if we don't totally agree on the dynamics of the actual transaction.

The clowns on West Madison running a brilliant young hockey team into the the dead of night have illuminated for me why I should hold KW in a bit more respect than I originally had for him.

The Youkillis trade is a brilliant trade...a talented player sorta under the radar, maybe even injury proned...but a hell of a gamble to give up a utility guy and a nothing pitcher. If it doesn't work out, we're no worse for the ware, if it does work out? Possible post-season. THESE are the type of moves (Humber, Thornton, Youk, Hermanson, Jenks) where Kenny is a master.

Edited by kwolf68

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
I will give Kenny credit for one thing...in juxtaposing it to what the Chicago Blackhawks do...I don't think Kenny makes moves with the intent on 'making a splash' or for public relations. And also unlike the Blackhawks his moves have real direction.

Ken Griffey, Jr.

Manny Ramirez

Alex Rios

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Ken Griffey, Jr.

Manny Ramirez

Alex Rios

There WAS a point to these moves. If by extension people talk about the Sox so be it, but we needed a CF when both Griff and Rios were moved on and ManRam was brought in to help our fledgling power numbers.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:55 AM)
This isn't a valid excuse. If KW didn't really want to risk being stuck with Jackson, he should have made it a three way deal.

The larger point in my post is that people(ie. greg) are acting like Kenny makes a habit of shipping off good prospects and getting fleeced. Thats two highly debatable trades that blew up in their faces because of outside factors, most of his other trades the prospects shipped out went on to become absolutely nothing while players like Carlos Quentin came to the Sox and became bona fide major league players.

And honestly, Edwin Jackson wasnt all that bad for the Sox at all. Swisher sucked hardcore, but Edwin started off on fire and really had a nice little run with the Sox with a few rough patches.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:41 AM)
I accept the fact some of you love Kenny unconditionally as I do Ozzie.That's fine. I can deal with that. I just have a different view of KW than most of you. I give him great credit for us winning it in 05 though. He helped me to experience my best moments as a Sox fan.

I am willing to bet there is not one person on this site that loves KW unconditionally. We have all seen and discussed his positives and negatives, which you can never do with Ozzie.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 03:50 AM)
Yep, and Marty34 unconditionally doesn't like KW.

Other than that, all shades of grey (not to be confused with the novel).

I unconditionally think he's done a bad job the last 6 years. 1 playoff win in that time may be acceptable to you, it's not to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
All three had a reason to be done, even if they didn't succeed.

I'll give you Rios. Picking up Griffey's corpse to play center wasn't a quality move and did nothing to get us to the playoffs that year.

As for Manny, it was an idea, but it was all about getting attention. Any scout worth half his salary would have told the Sox Manny had nothing left.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
I'll give you Rios. Picking up Griffey's corpse to play center wasn't a quality move and did nothing to get us to the playoffs that year.

As for Manny, it was an idea, but it was all about getting attention. Any scout worth half his salary would have told the Sox Manny had no steroids left

right

As for Manny, it was an idea, but it was all about getting attention. Any scout worth half his salary would have told the Sox Manny had nothing left.

Despite Manny putting up good numbers that year prior to coming over? He was done? Wasn't his OPS over. 800? Rios was a gamble worth taking. 5 tool players are a rarity. If he plays to his capability, his contract is fair to good. Griffey? Meh.

"Scouts" were just saying the same thing about Kevin Youkilis two weeks ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Picking up Griffey's corpse to play center wasn't a quality move and did nothing to get us to the playoffs that year.

What? He actually played better defense than Swisher and hit better than him. Hell, throwing out Cuddyer at home was enough to justify it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
"Scouts" were just saying the same thing about Kevin Youkilis two weeks ago.

i heard that too, that scouts werent impressed. who knows, maybe they just said that because they were interested. heres one

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Yeah, you found it quicker than I could!

One scout from interested team went to see Youkilis, sent back very negative report: "For what he costs, he can't do anything."

— DKnobler (@DKnobler) June 12, 2012

That is such an epic tweet. It must be true! It's certainly what we've seen out of Yoouuuuuk so far. Clearly, that scout needs his walking papers!

You win this round, ss2k5.

Edited by Steve9347

Youkilis has been awesome. The fact that he has only been here 2 weeks and has made such a positive impact already is saying a lot! I was at the game yesterday and the fans were cheering louder for him than Konerko! Yoooouuuk is here to stay!!!!

Awesome move- KW!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
hahaha love Kenny unconditionally? go back and read my posts about him when he wanted Sale in the bullpen. I wanted Kenny fired for that.

but just to be clear, you want Kenny to fleece the other GM in every single trade, or else he's a bad GM. is that your stance on this issue?

All Ozzie needs to do is let his coaches do the work while he plays cards to be one of the greatest managers of all time. KW has to win every trade flat-out to be considered a good GM. Makes sense.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
All Ozzie needs to do is let his coaches do the work while he plays cards to be one of the greatest managers of all time. KW has to win every trade flat-out to be considered a good GM. Makes sense.

Obviously it isn't Kenny's fault, it is all of his assistants and scouts he let's do all of his work.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
hahaha love Kenny unconditionally? go back and read my posts about him when he wanted Sale in the bullpen. I wanted Kenny fired for that.

but just to be clear, you want Kenny to fleece the other GM in every single trade, or else he's a bad GM. is that your stance on this issue?

I can't remember all the specifics of the issue but KW wanting Sale to be the closer after looking so comfortable as a starter had to be the most idiotic thing to consider ever.

I dont hate Kenny and if the Youk deal is an indication of what he has in store the next 10 years I am excited about that, but he has made some unbelievably bad moves as GM as well.

I don't think he's a bad GM. This is the first acquisition he's made that I was happy about in a long time. Perfect trade. Two complete stiffs for Youk. Nice deal by KW. Is it unfair of me to want a deal like that once in a while?

Edited by greg775