Dunn and Peavy, happy to not play

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

Dunn, Peavy happy to not participate

July 10, 2012, 11:35 pm

dan hayes

KANSAS CITY -- Jake Peavy and Adam Dunn didn’t show the slightest hint of disappointment even though neither player appeared in Tuesday night’s All-Star Game.

Both White Sox veterans were instead elated.

Aside from the final score -- the National League topped the American League 8-0 at Kauffman Stadium -- everything went according to plan for Peavy and Dunn, who preferred to rest rather than play in the exhibition.

Peavy, who arrived in town late Monday night after he attended the funeral of friend Darrel Akerfelds, is set to start here on Saturday night against the Kansas City Royals.

Prior to the game, Peavy, who was added to the All-Star roster on Sunday, spoke with Texas Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux about pitching only in an emergency.

“That’s the way we hoped it would work out,” Peavy said. “I’m healthy. I’m fine. But being a late add, my preparation, my mindset, to come here, I just wasn’t in that mindset. Obviously a long day yesterday. I did get something throwing in and I’m excited to go Saturday night.”

In the days leading up to the game, Dunn made it clear he would enjoy the exhibition, but also try to rest as much as possible. He promised he wouldn’t exert himself in batting practice, nor would he participate in the Home Run Derby in hopes of replenishing his body for the second half.

But Dunn took it a step further Tuesday. One of seven players not used in the contest, Dunn didn’t push Texas manager Ron Washington for an at-bat late in the game.

“I didn’t even bring my bats down,” Dunn said. “I really could care less. I know it sounds bad. But I know four days will help me and I don’t want to go do something stupid. It worked out good. I had fun, great time. Enjoyed it. Wash is awesome.”

Peavy last pitched on Friday against Toronto. He’ll be working on seven days’ rest when he pitches against the Royals.

Peavy is 20-9 with a 3.10 ERA in 37 starts when he pitches on six days of rest or more, according to baseball-reference.com.

I'm always impressed by Dunn's attitude. Seems like a great guy. It was cool watching the guys sitting together on the bench having a good time.

Also impressed with the KC crowd last night. When Butler struck out and walked back to the dugout to a rousing standing ovation, the camera caught Peavy turning to Dunn and saying something. I couldn't read his lips but I imagine he was saying something along the lines of, "now these fans appreciate the game". Anyway, despite the outcome, it was still a fun game to watch.

QUOTE (SouthSidePride05 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
I'm always impressed by Dunn's attitude. Seems like a great guy. It was cool watching the guys sitting together on the bench having a good time.

Also impressed with the KC crowd last night. When Butler struck out and walked back to the dugout to a rousing standing ovation, the camera caught Peavy turning to Dunn and saying something. I couldn't read his lips but I imagine he was saying something along the lines of, "now these fans appreciate the game". Anyway, despite the outcome, it was still a fun game to watch.

Didn't get to see the game (work) so I'm not sure how this scenario played out, but what's impressive about the home crowd cheering for a player from their team in the all-star game? Seems like what you'd expect.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Didn't get to see the game (work) so I'm not sure how this scenario played out, but what's impressive about the home crowd cheering for a player from their team in the all-star game? Seems like what you'd expect.

It was how loud they cheered and how appreciative they were to see their player in the All-Star game. And I didn't expect them to cheer again after striking out. I guess I'm so used to hearing the boos after a strike out, although not so much this year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
Dunn told Washington to let Butler take his at-bats. A very classy move.

Exactly! Dunn impresses me with how he handles himself, adversity and his support of others. I think we have quite a few of those types on our team too. It's a great chemistry

i have split feelings here. I dont necessarily like when guys say that they are happy not playing. While neither Dunn nor Peavy made the team because of fan votes, (maybe Peavy to some extent) it does irritate me that as fans we are asked to vote early and often and spend hours doing so. Just to have guys make a team and then ask not to play. Whats the point?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
i have split feelings here. I dont necessarily like when guys say that they are happy not playing. While neither Dunn nor Peavy made the team because of fan votes, (maybe Peavy to some extent) it does irritate me that as fans we are asked to vote early and often and spend hours doing so. Just to have guys make a team and then ask not to play. Whats the point?

I don't know whether it's correct or not, but I chose to believe that they care more about the White Sox and winning the division than a meaningless (home field advantage, sure) game.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)

To help the players earn a bonu$

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)

Based on Peavy's quotes, had he been voted in he would have been more prepared. Coming in at the last second as a replacement didn't give him much time to get ready.

I look at it more as them wanting to be in better shape for the White Sox than for an inning or two. It is difficult to make an impact in an exhibition game like that unless its perhaps Dunn hitting a HR, but even the best one that he could hit at that point in the game would have just cut the game in half at 8-4.

They made the All-Star team...whatever the criteria and guidelines to get in may be...and for that I'm sure they'll be rewarded with a bonus. Good for them. Good for us that they were recognized and more importantly get some rest for the 2nd half.

QUOTE (Knoxville Sox @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
They made the All-Star team...whatever the criteria and guidelines to get in may be...and for that I'm sure they'll be rewarded with a bonus. Good for them. Good for us that they were recognized and more importantly get some rest for the 2nd half.

I hope not. Jake and Dunn are paid like all-stars, thus when they make an all-star team they shouldn't get a bonus (though I suppose possible). The millions upon millions those two guys get should be plenty. Put it this way, they didn't give back any of their salary last year.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
I hope not. Jake and Dunn are paid like all-stars, thus when they make an all-star team they shouldn't get a bonus (though I suppose possible). The millions upon millions those two guys get should be plenty. Put it this way, they didn't give back any of their salary last year.

Accoring to Cot's, the selection earned Peavy $25k. It doesn't say anything for Dunn, not sure if he got a bonus.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Accoring to Cot's, the selection earned Peavy $25k. It doesn't say anything for Dunn, not sure if he got a bonus.

Knowing these two standout guys though they will probably make a hefty donation to a charity of their choosing with the money they earned at the allstar game. Would have liked to see Dunn in the HRD though get that homerun swing back a little bit. Especially because he didnt play in the game. Probably a good break for Jake though. A little extra rest never hurt anyone.