Best and Worst Sections, value in the park

NorthSideSox72

The Club Seats thread got me thinking... where do people usually sit? What sections will you just not sit in at all? Which are the best? Which are the best for the money?

We're in 536 Front Row, and love it. Club Seats are also great. Lower deck usually isn't worth the extra coin to me. Jim Beam club rocked, but wouldn't do it for list price.

Anyone else?

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
If you're over 21, get an upper deck seat, and get the bullpen bar seats.

I've been to 100+ games and had no idea you could do this.

Those are the seats near the right foul pole right? I thought you needed to buy tickets for those (like the pregame buffet)

I've only been to a handful of games, but I've sat in the lower deck near the right field foul pole and in the upper deck. For the price, I have no problem with the upper deck. There really isn't a bad seat in the place.

However, my son and I took a tour of the field on 7/6 as part of the Bulls Sox Academy, and now I really want to sit right near the dugouts. One of these days...just have to start saving.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Worst Section 100-101-can't see scoreboards, from 145-156 can't see left field dispay due to Fundamentals, other than that OK, higher rows in upper deck-brutal to get food, long walk down and long walk back up.

Yeah the bleachers on the other side are the same way.

Upperdeck is worthless and is the albatross of US Cellular. JR had to have the extra suites and when park was designed he was warned about what the upperdeck would be like and did not care as long as he got the suites.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Upperdeck is worthless and is the albatross of US Cellular. JR had to have the extra suites and when park was designed he was warned about what the upperdeck would be like and did not care as long as he got the suites.

I love urban legends...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:57 PM)
I love urban legends...

US Cellular houses 103 luxury suites located on TWO levels, located under the upperdeck which raised the upperdeck, this created one of the highest upper decks in baseball. The first row of seats in the upper deck at the new stadium is as far from the field as the highest row of seats in the upper deck at the old stadium. The pitch and angle of the upper deck give one the feeling of vertigo. Guess this is urban legend also!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
I've only been to a handful of games, but I've sat in the lower deck near the right field foul pole and in the upper deck. For the price, I have no problem with the upper deck. There really isn't a bad seat in the place.

However, my son and I took a tour of the field on 7/6 as part of the Bulls Sox Academy, and now I really want to sit right near the dugouts. One of these days...just have to start saving.

It really sucks to have to save to get good box seats at a baseball game. Baseball should be ashamed. It was a sport meant to be affordable.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
US Cellular houses 103 luxury suites located on TWO levels, located under the upperdeck which raised the upperdeck, this created one of the highest upper decks in baseball. The first row of seats in the upper deck at the new stadium is as far from the field as the highest row of seats in the upper deck at the old stadium. The pitch and angle of the upper deck give one the feeling of vertigo. Guess this is urban legend also!

Let's face it, we love our team but our ballpark is easily the worst in baseball. The new Cell is OK at best.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)

It is not one of the highest upper decks in baseball. I have been to a dozen other ballparks, and can say this with 100% certainty.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
It really sucks to have to save to get good box seats at a baseball game. Baseball should be ashamed. It was a sport meant to be affordable.

Let's face it, we love our team but our ballpark is easily the worst in baseball. The new Cell is OK at best.

You're going straight to hell. BLASPHEMY I tells ya!!!!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)

Totally disagree about the Upper Deck. The top is bad but the first few rows behind home plate is one of the best seats in the house. And Greg, the worst ballpark in baseball? Seriously? Off the top of my head, Houston and Tampa Bay are worse. Oakland is awful. Even the headache that is Wrigley Field sucks until you are sitting in your seats.

What does that even mean? Was Alexander Cartwright thinking 150 years ago, "I wish there was a game that was affordable for Americans to attend".

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
I've been to 100+ games and had no idea you could do this.

Those are the seats near the right foul pole right? I thought you needed to buy tickets for those (like the pregame buffet)

You can get the seats outside of the bullpen bar (field level) for nothing. First come, first serve. You're sitting on a picnic table and the service is pretty good. Always a chance to catch a homer there too.

The seats just above that are like $12-$20 (you buy them in the bullpen bar, this is on top of your original ticket price) depending on the day. I have never sat up there, but same story as the last....waitress, picnic table, you're just not looking through the right field fence to watch the game.

I've bought UD tickets several times and ended up sitting field level in the bullpen bar like 10 times. IMO, if you're looking to go to a game cheap you should use this method. Show up when the lots open and head to gate 5 (right field BP bar gate)....when the gates open, head straight into the bullpen bar and go "reserve" your seat with the sticker they give you. Only like 50 people can fit out there so you need to be on the ball. Great way to go to a game on the cheap, and if the weather is like it has been you can retreat to BP bar and watch on one of the bigscreens.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:41 PM)
It is not one of the highest upper decks in baseball. I have been to a dozen other ballparks, and can say this with 100% certainty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Cellular_Field

As originally built, the park was criticized by many fans because of the height of the upper deck. The upper deck was set back over the lower deck, and the stands rose fairly gradually. This was done to avoid the overhang problems that had plagued many stadiums built since the 1970s. However, this created one of the highest upper decks in baseball. The first row of seats in the upper deck at the new stadium is as far from the field as the highest row of seats in the upper deck at the old stadium. The pitch and angle of the upper deck give one the feeling of vertigo. Fans sitting in this area don't get much chance for relief, as it is one of the few parks in Major League Baseball that do not allow fans sitting in the upper deck to venture anywhere else in the park, i.e. lower deck concourse.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:54 PM)
Totally disagree about the Upper Deck. The top is bad but the first few rows behind home plate is one of the best seats in the house. And Greg, the worst ballpark in baseball? Seriously? Off the top of my head, Houston and Tampa Bay are worse. Oakland is awful. Even the headache that is Wrigley Field sucks until you are sitting in your seats.

Houston??? Are you kidding? I would put the Ballpark at Arlington lower on the list than Houston.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)

lol@ wikipedia. Give me two minutes and it could say that it has the lowest upper deck in all of baseball.

Out of curiousity, how many other ballparks have you been to? Off of the top of my head, the upper reaches of Jacobs Field, Comerica Park, and the Sky Dome are all as bad, if not worse, than USCF.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Houston??? Are you kidding? I would put the Ballpark at Arlington lower on the list than Houston.

I've sat in both. I loved Houston's Field, and Texas, not so much. Their upper deck seats in the outfield are way up there. And not to mention how stupid it was to build a park with no outfield openings in a place where it can be 100 degrees at 10pm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
lol@ wikipedia. Give me two minutes and it could say that it has the lowest upper deck in all of baseball.

Out of curiousity, how many other ballparks have you been to? Off of the top of my head, the upper reaches of Jacobs Field, Comerica Park, and the Sky Dome are all as bad, if not worse, than USCF.

Only park close right now is New Yankee stadium and it sucks as much as the cell upperdeck. I have sit in both. I have been to alot of parks these 2 are by far the worst.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
I've sat in both. I loved Houston's Field, and Texas, not so much. Their upper deck seats in the outfield are way up there. And not to mention how stupid it was to build a park with no outfield openings in a place where it can be 100 degrees at 10pm.

Seriously...for all the "It's bigger in Texas" bulls***, they build a park that makes you feel claustrophobic. Booooo! I say.

What field are you talking about? Because then you say the Cell is okay. There's no way that Tropicana Field is better than the Cell.

I can't compare to many other parks, but I would say US Cellular is better than Wrigley.

And I don't know that baseball was meant to be affordable. It is ridiculous how much it costs, though.