Sox are interested in Volquez and Street

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
A Padres beat writer was on the radio here in CA, talking about the trade deadline and he reported that the Padres have started talks with the White Sox about Volquez and Street.

Not shocking that this is being reported on the same day as the poor Danks prognosis.

Volquez would be interesting. He seems like one of those guys Coop can fix.

Street's been great this year, but I don't think we really need bullpen help. Once Crain is healthy again, we'll be fine.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
A Padres beat writer was on the radio here in CA, talking about the trade deadline and he reported that the Padres have started talks with the White Sox about Volquez and Street.

Acquiring both would be a nice upgrade but I would imagine it would be fairly expensive. Volquez is a typical Kenny target because he has another year left on his deal. I need to see the names going back to San Diego first though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
Oh boy. Sox are gonna have to give up a lot to get this duo.

So who do Sox say goodbye to, forever. I'd say Jordan Danks, Mitchell, Flowers and Q will probably be the ransom.

Anything but Quintana would be acceptable from your list.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
NOOOOOOOO on Volquez

He hasn't been steady but maybe you'll catch lighting in a bottle at an affordable price.

Volumes was basically the final piece in the Latos deal.

His stock has fallen - id imagine - since the Hamelton trade.

That seems like a no brainier. :P

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)
Volquez would be interesting. He seems like one of those guys Coop can fix.

Street's been great this year, but I don't think we really need bullpen help. Once Crain is healthy again, we'll be fine.

Crain's injury has to be labeled as "nagging" at this point. He has missed time with his shoulder three times this year., right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
Crain's injury has to be labeled as "nagging" at this point. He has missed time with his shoulder three times this year., right?

And he hasn't looked right most of the year on the mound. His numbers are deceptive, as he's gotten away with just a ton of pitches up in the zone. Tons of credit goes to Crain though, as I bet he hasn't been 100% all year. The Sox desperately need a righty set-up man with experience, in my opinion. Volquez won't come cheap though, and I hope KW doesn't consider trading Viciedo for these guys. Mitchell should be the main guy the Sox look to trade if he has any value at all.

With Sale and Q being limited with innings in the 2nd half and a young bullpen, I can see Kenny making a trade for a starter and bullpen guy.

Not to sure about Volquez and Street since they play in a pitcher's park..

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)

So who do Sox say goodbye to, forever. I'd say Jordan Danks, Mitchell, Flowers and Q will probably be the ransom.

I am pretty sure San Diego will not have interest in Flowers or Danks. I don't think the White Sox have a package I would accept if I were Josh Byrnes. The Sox have no pitching to trade and Simon Castro came from the Padres. Mitchell has to be in this deal. There is nobody else; especially if SD wants pitching.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 06:58 PM)
I am pretty sure San Diego will not have interest in Flowers or Danks. I don't think the White Sox have a package I would accept if I were Josh Byrnes. The Sox have no pitching to trade and Simon Castro came from the Padres. Mitchell has to be in this deal. There is nobody else; especially if SD wants pitching.

If Molina has value, then include him also. A control pitcher like him has a lot more value in San Diego than Chicago anyways.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)

No way on Quintana. You don't give up pitching to acquire pitching, not with the situation the Sox are in. Otherwise, I could see one or more of those guys involved.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
No way on Quintana. You don't give up pitching to acquire pitching, not with the situation the Sox are in. Otherwise, I could see one or more of those guys involved.

Unless you are getting Hamels or Greinke, who are willing to extend, you don't trade Q.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Don't trade Nate, addy or Q and we are good

If you can get a lot of value for Nate Jones as the centerpiece of the deal, then see ya Nate. I like Jones, but most 26 year old set-up men aren't considered deal breakers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)

They're not going to trade someone from the starting rotation to acquire someone for the starting rotation for the purposes of attempting to shore up the starting rotation

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
If you can get a lot of value for Nate Jones as the centerpiece of the deal, then see ya Nate. I like Jones, but most 26 year old set-up men aren't considered deal breakers.

Even if it were something like Nate Jones, Jared Mitchell, possibly Petricka. I'd make that deal. Don't think Byrnes would though.