Sox are interested in Volquez and Street

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly take Volquez. Walks seem to be his only issue. Strikeouts are high, hits allowed are low, and HRs allowed are good. His away splits are obviously worse, but they aren't terrible.

I would not take Huston Street though. The guy makes way too much money to be our set-up man. Reed has been fine, no need to move him out of his future role.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
If its Reed and a low level prospect for Street and Volquez, just might make that trade. We get experience in the closer spot and a quality starter.

Experience doesn't always mean better. And Street is injury-prone. And calling Volquez a "quality" starter is a bit of a stretch.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
I would say Volquez is a solid #3-4 type starter. That's quality to me.

I think he's way closer to a #5 IMO. Since his All-Star 2008 season, he has not been anything special, and he doesn't have a history of pitching a lot of innings.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
I think he's way closer to a #5 IMO. Since his All-Star 2008 season, he has not been anything special, and he doesn't have a history of pitching a lot of innings.

Looking at his numbers, his only glaring issue is walks, and Cooper has a history of getting guys to throw strikes. I think he sounds like a pretty good project for Coop. This guy has #2 potential, he just hasn't seen it since 2008.

As for the innings thing, he pitched 196 in 2008, 50 in 2009, 100 in 2010, 196 in 2011, and is on pace for 190+ this season. He missed those innings in 2009 and 2010 because he had TJS.

People need to realize that there will be like 5 or 6 starters on the market better than Volquez. The Padres will get something solid for him, but let's not pretend they have a ton of leverage here. Teams will move on to other options if the price is outrageous.

Also, there just aren't enough teams anymore that are willing to sacrifice a ton of young talent at the deadline for average players. The new compensation rules won't help either. Prices should come down somewhat, although I think the additional wild card spots will negate that some.

If KW can pull this trade off without giving up any major league talent unless its (Santiago) and make a smaller deal with the Jays for Oliver. We will be set for the 2nd half and hopefully to go far in the post season.

starting rotation ( I'd go with the Six man rotation)

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Volquez

Danks

Floyd

bullpen

Humber RR

Oliver LR

Crain RR

Thornton LR

Street RR

Reed Closer

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
Looking at his numbers, his only glaring issue is walks, and Cooper has a history of getting guys to throw strikes. I think he sounds like a pretty good project for Coop. This guy has #2 potential, he just hasn't seen it since 2008.

As for the innings thing, he pitched 196 in 2008, 50 in 2009, 100 in 2010, 196 in 2011, and is on pace for 190+ this season. He missed those innings in 2009 and 2010 because he had TJS.

Can Coop fix him this year when we need him? He could be a great project for the future, but we are in a race now.

I missed his minor league innings in 2010/2011, so nevermind the comment about not pitching that many innings.

That there Is a pipe dream...

it might be but its not unrealistic. Oliver is what like 42 yrs old and hopefully KW will bring in some pitching talent to this roster.

I do know that Reinsdorf is dreaming of another World Series Championship. I can see JR spending money to bring talent in.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
Can Coop fix him this year when we need him? He could be a great project for the future, but we are in a race now.

I missed his minor league innings in 2010/2011, so nevermind the comment about not pitching that many innings.

For comparison, Edwin Jackson rapidly caught fire for the Sox when they traded for him in 2010. Matt Thornton took about 5 minutes, according to myth. It can be done, question is whether it would actually happen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
And he hasn't looked right most of the year on the mound. His numbers are deceptive, as he's gotten away with just a ton of pitches up in the zone. Tons of credit goes to Crain though, as I bet he hasn't been 100% all year. The Sox desperately need a righty set-up man with experience, in my opinion. Volquez won't come cheap though, and I hope KW doesn't consider trading Viciedo for these guys. Mitchell should be the main guy the Sox look to trade if he has any value at all.

Not sure they'd want another play similar to Cameron Maybin in Mitchell, and Maybin was a very highly touted prospect originally.

After watching Rizzo suffer out there, they'd have to be looking for pure power prospects, especially with Quentin likely to be gone. The best we can do there is Trayce Thompson, and he's just not close enough.