Sox are interested in Volquez and Street

SOXOBAMA

The Rangers wanted to strangle Volquez.

There are many stories about they met up their own set of rules for him simply because he was so frustrating to deal with...just terribly irresponsibly, but terribly talented, at the same time. They were THRILLED to have the opportunity to get the high risk/high reward Hamilton back in return for him.

Maybe he has grown up a little bit. They have to do their due diligence on this one. And then there's the inflation of value due to the PetCo Park numbers. See Latos, Matt for example. The Reds feel a LOT burned with that trade, so far, although I think Latos has been a BIT better recently.

We have to be careful about upsetting the delicate clubhouse balance. Hudson and Youk have been great, so far...seemingly.

The main plus is that we'd have Edinson for 2013 if we wanted, so it wouldn't be just a half year rental. So a lot like the situation with Jackson...and yeah, I'd rather gamble with Cooper "fixing" Volquez than fixing Floyd again. We've seem Gavin's act enough to know what to expect, both good and bad.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer to go for Dempster, who for 2.5 months won't cost a ton in prospects, and the Sox could even get some money back against his remaining salary (which would be around $6M for the rest of the year). He would also probably be happy to stay in town.

The biggest factor on Volquez is, does Cooper think he's fixable.

I'd prefer to go for Dempster, who for 2.5 months won't cost a ton in prospects, and the Sox could even get some money back against his remaining salary (which would be around $6M for the rest of the year). He would also probably be happy to stay in town.

I'd be thrilled to get Dempster but I don't think Theo will be willing to help the Sox out. Has Theo and KW ever made a trade together? KW seems only willing to trade with a few GM's

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)

Even though it was probably said with a hint of comedy, Dempster has said he would never play for the Sox.

Volquez could be sent down if the Reds thought regular work there might straighten out any mechanical problems. To me it looks like Volquez has a head and attitude problem not an arm problem. He seems to have more than enough natural talent but he does not get much out of it. Sad really. Maybe he will come around some day. Then again maybe he won’t. Some never do. If Sam LeCure and Mike Leake had Volquez’ stuff we would have 2 aces.

I am thankful Volquez didnt sign that extension. Thank god. Should teach the Jocketty not to overreact. Volquez really hasnt done much since the 1st year. Also, I get tired of the “he has great stuff” Thats like the old “5 tool player” If you don’t have it between the ears and the grit to earn it none of that matters. If it were me I would scare the crap out of Volquez and send him down.

I still think Volkie has that potential - some of those snappy curve balls yestreday were freezing Indian hitters. Unfortunately, his fastballs were dead straight and, on those rare occasions he got one anywhere near the plate, very hittable. His head was clearly somewhere else, and given his comments after the game, I think we can make a pretty good guess as to its actual location. Whatever’s next for EV needs to happen in Louisville, and given today’s rumors (Volkie and Smith called into the office, Frazier on his way to Philly), that’s most likely what will happen.

But Edinson Volquez pitched (or threw) and that more than made up for any problems Gomes is experiencing.

If a team needs a batting practice pitcher to make their hitters all feel like Babe Ruth, all they have to do is bat against Volquez in the first inning.

Once again, just like nearly every first inning he has pitched this year, Volquez was treated with the utmost disrespect by an opponent. The Tribe scored four in the first after Joey Votto gave Volquez a 1-0 lead in the top of the first with a home run, the first lead Volquez has had all year.

BUT, BOY, did he fritter it away in less than no time flat.

Whatever afflicts Aroldis Chapman’s command and control is also possessed by Volquez. And whatever it is troubling Volquez has to be between the ears because he owns major-league stuff, major-league stuff that doesn’t come close to the strike zone.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/conte..._for_volqu.html

This comes from Hal McCoy, who broke the Homer Bailey/Dye trade (almost).

I just selected some of his column, as well as random reader comments.

Another thing that sticks out is he publicly articulated and complained about the fact that the Reds' offense wasn't supporting him with runs. That's a big no-no.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
Even though it was probably said with a hint of comedy, Dempster has said he would never play for the Sox.

the Cubs beat writer just said the other day that the Sox were, in his view, likely on Dempster's short list of teams he'd accept a trade to. Keep in mind that this is a half season stint, and he probably would rather not have to move twice with his family in tow.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)

Don't forget that Dempster can say no to coming to the Sox if he wants.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
If KW can pull this trade off without giving up any major league talent unless its (Santiago) and make a smaller deal with the Jays for Oliver. We will be set for the 2nd half and hopefully to go far in the post season.

starting rotation ( I'd go with the Six man rotation)

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Volquez

Danks

Floyd

bullpen

Humber RR

Oliver LR

Crain RR

Thornton LR

Street RR

Reed Closer

What about Nate Jones?

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
He said he'd make the first trade without giving up major league talent. I certainly don't think he's implying they would trade Jones for Oliver.

Guess I didn't look closely enough and assumed it was a roster with Huston Street and Volquez on it, as well as Oliver.

Wrong thread.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox were (very quietly) having talks with the Cubs about Dempster.

Dempster seems like the perfect fit if you ask me. He would be a half year rental. What bothers me as a Sox fan is that he said he would "never" play for the white sox. At the same time Peavy first rejected a deal to us too and he seems to be having the time of his life this year. I would forgive him if he changes his mind. He would still have a chance to bring home the title to Chicago fans.... of course it would be for us though :)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)

From what I heard, I thought Theo didn't care about the salary and only wanted back the best prospects they could get. They'd be very willing to pay almost all of Dempster's salary, at the right cost of talent. They aren't worried about cutting salary, they are only looking at increasing the talent for the future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
From what I heard, I thought Theo didn't care about the salary and only wanted back the best prospects they could get. They'd be very willing to pay almost all of Dempster's salary, at the right cost of talent. They aren't worried about cutting salary, they are only looking at increasing the talent for the future.

prospects are just that, prospects. trade away!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)

You can probably get Dempster for Mitchell and Santiago and A level prospect. I just dont think Theo is going to get what he thinks he can get for Dempster. Especially with him coming off the disabled list AND with his current contract status. I do however think he can get a great return for Garza.

You can probably get Street for Humber and an A level prospect. I think Humber will do very well in the NL.

Edited by GreatScott82

What would it take to pry Johan Santana from the Mets, besides, obviously, the Mets falling out of contention. He's got a year left on his deal I believe. Sox could probably afford that since Peavy is coming off the books. I imagine we don't have the pieces for that, and he might have a no trade clause. Clearly this is all speculation.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:40 PM)
Humber has no options left, can't send him down.

I just meant for any pitcher in MLB, whether he'd been released or sent down the same year.

Or even pitched in the minor leagues in the same year as his perfect game, as Humber is doing tonight (although it's a rehab assignment).