Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

List/Classifications from the HP article by Garrett Wilson July 8th:

Cole Hamels - All indications seem to be that the Phillies are willing to trade Hamels barring shocking leap back into contention. However, they are rumored to be asking for a huge package or prospects in return.

Zack Greinke - See everything about Hamels up above, only factor in that, depending on who you ask, the Brewers have a more realistic chance at re-signing Greinke.

James Shields - Tampa is in the thick of the Wild Card race, but their financial situation always has folks thinking they can become sellers at the drop of a hat. With a $9 million club option in 2013 and $12 million club option in 2014, Shields could get too expensive for Tampa's tight budget.

Felix Hernandez - His name will no doubt appear in speculation. But will the Mariners really trade him?

Anibal Sanchez - By all right, the Marlins should be willing to trade Sanchez, who will be a free agent at the end of the year and one the Fish have shown little interest in re-signing. However, after their big off-season spending spree, the Marlins would take a big PR hit if they were to start selling off quality players even if they did fall well out of the playoff hunt.

Matt Garza - Honestly, he is probably the player on this list that is most likely to be dealt. There is no reason for the Cubs to keep him anymore, but that is what everyone thought during this last off-season and here we are with Garza still on the Cubs roster.

Take my (overpaid and/or ineffective and/or injured) starting pitcher, please!

Ryan Dempster - When he has been healthy, Dempster has been one of the best pitchers in the National League in 2012. It is that pesky "healthy" part that makes him something of a gamble. He is presently on the disabled list for the second time this season, though he is slated to come off it soon. He'll have a short amount of time to rebuild his value.

Jeremy Guthrie - In Colorado, Guthrie has been one of the worst pitchers in baseball. Away from Colorado, he hasn't been too bad, but he still temporarily lost his rotation spot on the pitching-starved Rockies. At this point, he is damaged goods and the Rockies should be thankful if they can get a prospect with a pulse and some minor financial relief.

Brandon McCarthy - McCarthy has alternated between being fantastic and injured all season long. He's a free agent after the season, so the A's almost certain to trade him as soon as he is healthy enough.

Joe Blanton - If you can stomach all the home runs he allows and the remainder of his $10.5 million salary, Blanton can come and eat some inning for a contender near you.

Joe Saunders - Saunders was having another nice season, but was still set up to be expendable to the D'Backs regardless of what their record was thanks to their treasure trove of young pitching talent.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a 2.5 month rental of Dempster, especially when his health has been a small issue this year... I think he can be had for a partial money deal (Cubs pay $3M, Sox pay $3M, or the like), and giving them two players: a placeholder starter (i.e. Dylan Axelrod), and a decent pitching prospect (any of the Sox starter talent in the minors other than Castro, maybe even two of them if they are boom/bust types).

Len Casper was on the score yesterday and he was talking about Cubs tradeable assets, and mentioned that the Cubs were willing to get rid of Marmol and eat most of his contract.

Given crains recent injury issues, snatching Dempster and Marmol really seems like not so bad of an idea right now. I would actually put Marmol back in the role he excelled in, 8th inning, and let Reed continue to close.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
Len Casper was on the score yesterday and he was talking about Cubs tradeable assets, and mentioned that the Cubs were willing to get rid of Marmol and eat most of his contract.

Given crains recent injury issues, snatching Dempster and Marmol really seems like not so bad of an idea right now. I would actually put Marmol back in the role he excelled in, 8th inning, and let Reed continue to close.

:unsure:

if you can't throw strikes, it doesn't matter if you are closer, set-up guy, or a mop-up guy. Trading for Marmol sounds like a really bad idea right now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)

No thanks on Marmol. He's far too erratic for my liking.

As much as I hate Dempster, he does make some sense if the price is right. While our system may not have any elite pitching prospects, we have quite a few interesting pitching prospects. Axelrod, Hernandez, & Leeseman are all low ceiling, high floor guys that are ready or close to being ready for the majors. Then we got some high risk, high reward guys like Rienzo, Petricka, and Johnson that are farther but away but could still fit in the Cubs long-term plans. I think we could use two of those guys and make an attractive offer, assuming no team goes out and offers something stupid.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
I had a feeling you would say that littlehurt, lol.

FWIW, he has gone 7 for 7 in saves since he came back.

in his last 10 games: 9 ip, 7h, 8 bb's, he did get 16 k's but sill too wild. since he has saved his last 7 for them they might as well just keep him. he makes too much money this year and next and they would have to pay most of it and not get much

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
I had a feeling you would say that littlehurt, lol.

FWIW, he has gone 7 for 7 in saves since he came back.

Ha. Being that my wife is a Cubs fan, I have watched way too many Marmol implosions to trust him at all in a pennant race. Anytime he comes in, she just gets nervous and expects the worse. You are right that he has been much better since he came back in the closers role though. (If you don't count last Friday vs. the Mets)

•Cole Hamels, Phillies - Hamels is one of the best pitchers in the game. Though he's just 28, he has a seven-year history of success in a major market, including a World Series MVP award. Hamels has the potential to improve some team’s rotation dramatically and demand will reflect that upside if the Phillies make him available.

•Zack Greinke, Brewers - If you go by the numbers, Greinke's just as desirable as Greinke. However, some teams question Greinke's ability to thrive in the spotlight. Still, the right-hander has the potential to make a team’s front office look really smart.

•Matt Garza, Cubs - Garza's 4.32 ERA is pretty ordinary, but he’s still a tremendously valuable trade chip for the Cubs. Unlike Greinke and Hamels, Garza's controllable through 2013. He has succeeded in the AL East and his peripheral stats remain strong.

•Wandy Rodriguez, Astros - Rodriguez has a 3.38 ERA through 18 starts, but his salary could be an obstacle for some clubs. The left-hander will earn $10MM in 2012, $13MM in 2013 and, potentially, $13MM in 2014 (the team’s ’14 option becomes a player option following a trade). However, the Astros showed that they’re willing to absorb salary if it means a chance at obtaining better prospects when they dealt Carlos Lee to the Marlins.

Ryan Dempster, Cubs - Dempster, who has an NL-best 1.99 ERA, should draw lots of interest as a mid-season trade candidate. The Cubs seem willing to absorb some of his $14MM salary to facilitate a deal.

Shaun Marcum, Brewers - Marcum, now on the disabled list, is on track to hit free agency this offseason. He has a 3.39 ERA with 8.4 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 through 82 1/3 innings in Milwaukee.

Paul Maholm, Cubs - Maholm could appeal to teams looking to add back-of-the-rotation depth. His contract includes a $6.5MM option for 2013.

Randy Wolf, Brewers - Wolf's trade value would be limited by his 5.80 ERA and $9.5MM salary.

Jeremy Guthrie, Rockies - Guthrie’s trade value may be at an all-time low following three disappointing months in Denver.

•Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard could be available, but there’s no reason for the Padres to trade such controllable, young arms without obtaining a remarkable package in return.

•Jason Vargas, Mariners - Vargas is similar pitcher to Wandy Rodriguez, but he's younger and less expensive, as I explained last month.

Kevin Millwood, Mariners - Millwood, 37, has a 3.69 ERA with 6.9 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9 in 90 1/3 innings with Seattle. He earns $1MM and will hit free agency after the season.

•Despite the annual speculation surrounding Felix Hernandez, there’s no indication he’s truly available.

Bartolo Colon, Athletics - Colon, 39, is the player the Athletics are most likely to trade, according to Ken Rosenthal. The righty has a 3.80 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 through 104 1/3 innings.

•Brandon McCarthy, Athletics - The A's would reportedly consider offers for McCarthy, a prospective free agent who has a 2.54 ERA with 6.0 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9. He's now on the 15-day disabled list.

Brian Matusz, Orioles - Matusz appears to be a trade chip for the Orioles. He's now in the minor leagues after posting a 5.42 ERA through 16 starts in Baltimore.

Francisco Liriano, Twins - Liriano, a free agent after the season, has pitched well since returning to the rotation. Still, clubs are wary of trading for the left-hander, whose walk rate remains high.

I highlighted the ones that KW perhaps is most likely to go after, assuming the talent in our system doesn't match up for Greinke, Hamels or Garza (as well as extension kiboshed).

Rodriguez is too reminiscent of Danks, and too expensive. And we already found a cheaper alternative (for now) in Quintana.

The Twins traded Delmon Young to the Tigers last year, it's not impossible they would deal Liriano to the White Sox. Would rather take a chance on Liriano than Volquez, and Liriano might cost less because Volquez is under control contract-wise for at least one more season to my knowledge.

McCarthy would be interesting...but a roll of the dice, and it doesn't seem he parted on great terms with KW or Cooper.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/pote...g-pitchers.html

Brian Fuentes also just became available, KW has to be looking for another veteran lefty to replace Ohman/Septimo in all likelihood.

Hamels and Grienke will cost a great package of prospects. We do not have those prospects.

I think Dempster is the best fit. However, I think Brandon McCarthy can help us out along the way as well. Wouldn't that be something? Danks is out so we bring in the pitcher we traded him for to help us get in the playoffs :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
I think you have picked the two most likely that kw would pick. Cooper loves Colon and perhaps working with an older BMAC will make a difference.

Colon will never return to the Sox. He straight up dissappeared a couple years ago.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Danks is getting lonely on the DL

I call it the Chicago Bulls approach. Several hurt players ought to make at least the production of one really good healthy one :D

McCarthy intrigues me. Knowing a lot of the Guillen history, I really wonder if he was moved because Ozzie didn't like him. He was a young pup, going out to clubs with everyone's favorite communist Brian Anderson. I wonder if there is something there that would prevent the Sox from being interested, besides the obvious injury issues.