Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
Bad one's, yes.

Considering that Dunn, Konerko and Rios will either be gone or declining at that juncture, we will clearly need his power bat. Or we could just win with Ozzieball. :unsure:

Why do you need his power bat in '15 when there won't be anything around him.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:23 PM)
You'd put developing a good, not great LF'er over winning in August and September? I could not disagree with your approach more.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying the Sox can win (and have been winning) while developing a good/great LFer. Trading him is one thing, although I wouldn't want to see him traded unless it's for a stud pitcher under control for a couple years. But having him sit so a declining guy who plays bad defense can get a extra hit or two? No way.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)
Why do you need his power bat in '15 when there won't be anything around him.

Now you're arguing to argue. Who knows what this team will look like in 2015. Whatever it does look like, I highly doubt it's Viciedo surrounded by a bunch of light-hitting schlubs.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Shields is going to cost you much more than Greinke, and the farm is awful.

89 hits in his last 64 innings pitched - Shields can be someone else's mistake.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
89 hits in his last 64 innings pitched - Shields can be someone else's mistake.

He also has a ton of K's so he is missing bats too, I don't know much about the Rays pitching coach but it seems guys there focus too much on the K.

Long time lurker, 1st time poster:

Shocked at how many of you would give up Viciedo for a 3 month rental. Tank is the future, he will be mashing homeruns long after PK14 and donkey are gone, hopefully for the pale hose. Unless its a blockbuster with a prospect or two coming back our way (severely unlikely), if I'm KW I'm laughing at other GMs insisting on Tank.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
I'm surprised by a lot of you wanting to part ways with Tank.

Because few people on this site have any patience with young players. A lot of people seem to think young players are finished products upon arrival and will not get better with time.

The best part is this is Viciedo's first full season and he's actually having a solid year so far. A .760 OPS is very good for a 23 year old. On top of that, he's shown enough in LF to make me think he can stick there defensively. Yes, he's been streaky and has had his share of struggles, but this is to be expected with a young player. I can't even imagine what people would be saying about him if he was having a Hosmer-like season.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
Long time lurker, 1st time poster:

Shocked at how many of you would give up Viciedo for a 3 month rental. Tank is the future, he will be mashing homeruns long after PK14 and donkey are gone, hopefully for the pale hose. Unless its a blockbuster with a prospect or two coming back our way (severely unlikely), if I'm KW I'm laughing at other GMs insisting on Tank.

I'm with this. Viciedo is in his first full year. You guys are nuts to even think about trading him for 3 mos. of Greinke. We could get a guy like Dempster for less, and I think the difference of 3 mos. would be minimal. Also, Dempster isn't a headcase.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
When the Tigers get a full year of Cabrera/Fielder/VMart this division is about sealed up. Ditto when Kansas City finds some pitching. Their lineup is already very good. It's only a matter of time before Hosmer wins an MVP.

Face it, it's highly unlikely the White Sox are going to get good years out of Konerko, Dunn, and Rios AND have Peavy and Sale healthy. Everything is going right for this year (health issues aside) and they need to capitalize right now.

Lol...Kansas City needs to develop an entire pitching staff before their position players leave or get expensive. I'm not worried about them yet.

As for Detroit, have Fielder or Cabrera missed time this year? Otherwise, you are saying a 34 year old coming off a significant injury is going to be the big difference maker for them next year. He should help some, but let's not get carried away here. They too have pitching problems that must be addressed.

BTW, let's not forget the Sox have suffered some injuries this year. Danks and Crain have been pretty big ones and yet here we are sitting in first place. If you are going to play the injury card, make sure you play it for all sides.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Been a while since I posted but here you go

https://twitter.com/jnorris427/status/225000416818118659

Heard from a source that ‪#WhiteSox‬ are definitely "zeroing in" on ‪#Yankees‬ Betances.

Probably to flip him.

I have no idea what we'd have to give up for Betances, but it would make sense as a precursor to a deal for a legit SP.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
whos josh norris?

Apparently the beat-writer for the Yankee's AA team.

He has another tweet that says the Sox have scouted Betances' last three starts. Looks like he was just sent down to AA after struggling in AAA and has had exactly three starts for them. This rumor is somewhat interesting.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
Apparently the beat-writer for the Yankee's AA team.

He has another tweet that says the Sox have scouted Betances' last three starts. Looks like he was just sent down to AA after struggling in AAA and has had exactly three starts for them. This rumor is somewhat interesting.

Thornton maybe?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
Thornton maybe?

The thought crossed my mind, but I can't see KW trading our only dependable left-handed reliever. I could see it being Nate Jones, if KW thinks he can turn around and acquire a veteran RH reliever. Betances was the Yankees' #3 prospect heading into the year, and despite his struggles, would be a very good trade chip for us.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
can we afford to lose him? meaning i dont have that much faith in him but hes a lot better than any other lefty we have.

Well, they have to give something to get that starter and I'm sure Bentaces would be flipped for that purpose. Pick up another lefty reliever (Mujares. KC?) after you get the starting staff settled.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)
The thought crossed my mind, but I can't see KW trading our only dependable left-handed reliever. I could see it being Nate Jones, if KW thinks he can turn around and acquire a veteran RH reliever. Betances was the Yankees' #3 prospect heading into the year, and despite his struggles, would be a very good trade chip for us.

If the choice is Thornton or Viciedo, to shore up the starters you have deal Thornton and worry about his replacement later.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:19 PM)
Well, they have to give something to get that starter and I'm sure Bentaces would be flipped for that purpose. Pick up another lefty reliever (Mujares. KC?) after you get the starting staff settled.

mijares would be good. he sure completely handled dunn lol