Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

This is idiotic.

We might not even last through the week with our bullpen like this.

Rule #1 in baseball. Rookies don't get questionable or borderline strikes on the road against veterans. See Septimo tonight.

Rule #2, relievers get hammered, even when they throw 97-100, get behind in the count and have to come with a fastball.

Rule #3, multiply X10 when you have 8 rookie relievers

Unless we get Crain back and add one more veteran piece, the pen will be (and is) in danger of crumbling with Jones stumbling more often now and Santiago banished to the last reliever in the pen.

There's an even bigger problem. DeAza is in a terrible slump and/or he's dead tired. If he was getting on in front of YOUK, then we'd be scoring a lot more often, taking advantage of Kevin's hot streak.

DeAza should sit for 1-2 games just to recharge his batteries and get Danks some playing time. Danks is certainly not the long term answer, but Alejandro's lost 30+ points off his batting average recently and isn't walking nearly as much.

With Dunn hitting in the 210's (compare to Cabrera and Jones, who are high average hitters AND run producers) and Konerko in a huge funk, we're going to struggle. Luckily, YOUK, Rios and AJ have been carrying us the last two weeks.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
Phillies going to offer him 120 million dollars reports say. I think it would have been more realistic for Sox to even consider that if Danks didn't sign his extension.

They could afford it if they win it all.

Hamels/Sale/Quintana/Danks/Humber?/Castro?/Axe?

Danks will be fine over the long haul.

I guess if you signed Hamels, you'd have to let Jake go, but I'd pay Hamels the money. Guy is as good as it gets.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:10 PM)
Gimme a break, Viciedo is a .275 hitter who is gonna hit 25-30 homeruns, doesn't walk, doesn't hit doubles, and strikes out a lot..

Its crazy that people think Viciedo is some untouchable prize, yet Jared Mitchell who is having a solid season in Double A is horses*** and worthless..

Ide rather win now, and ide not only be up for trading Viciedo but Quintana as well.. Hell maybe you could sucker someone into taking Viciedo and Quintana as the only return for one of these top pitchers.. Wed STEAL that deal, easy

Viciedo is 23 years old and actually younger than Jared Mitchell. I like Mitchell a lot, but come on now, he's got a ways to go before he reaches Viciedo's level.

Also, trading five years of Viciedo for a rental is idiotic. You must not watch a lot of baseball, because power is extremely valuable nowadays. Guys that can hit 30 home runs aren't easy to come by. Trading both Viciedo and Quintana for a rental is one of the dumber suggestions I've seen on this board in my time.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
Do it for either Hamels or Greinke. Cliff Lee for that matter.

Unless you're his personal doctor and know Zack well, sticking him into the heat of a pennant race in Chicago might be the worst thing for him. You don't gamble away Viciedo, Jones, Mitchell, etc., for that type of risk.

Sure, Hamels. But nobody else.

This social anxiety disorder is something that could flare up at any moment, just like Hamilton's drug problems.

I, for one, am not willing to mortgage the future of the franchise on it.

Not without a ton of DUE DILIGENCE on it, and even then, I would only do it if I had solutions for the bullpen issues.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Trading both Viciedo and Quintana for a rental is one of the dumber suggestions I've seen on this board in my time.

Probably about as dumb as the people who think Viciedo is a lock to turn into a 35-40 HR hitter and Quintana is a sub 3 ERA pitcher..

Clearly, you're the one who doesn't watch much baseball.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
They could afford it if they win it all.

Hamels/Sale/Quintana/Danks/Humber?/Castro?/Axe?

Danks will be fine over the long haul.

I guess if you signed Hamels, you'd have to let Jake go, but I'd pay Hamels the money. Guy is as good as it gets.

If they went that direction, they would also keep Gavin Floyd as the fifth starter at $9.5 million for 2013.

Nobody knows exactly what we have with Quintana. He could just as easily end up Phil Humber 2012 version as a solid starter we can rely upon. Who knows?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Unless you're his personal doctor and know Zack well, sticking him into the heat of a pennant race in Chicago might be the worst thing for him. You don't gamble away Viciedo, Jones, Mitchell, etc., for that type of risk.

Sure, Hamels. But nobody else.

This social anxiety disorder is something that could flare up at any moment, just like Hamilton's drug problems.

I, for one, am not willing to mortgage the future of the franchise on it.

Not without a ton of DUE DILIGENCE on it, and even then, I would only do it if I had solutions for the bullpen issues.

When the future of the franchise is Viciedo, Jones, Mitchell, it's ok to mortgage it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
He just sat for several days last week (ASB).

He's 4 for his last 36.

26 for his last 115 for an icy .226 average.

Only five walks. 1 homer and 7 RBI's.

DeAza is really really hurting our offense right now, along with Paulie and Dunn's inability to drive in RISP recently.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
He's 4 for his last 36.

DeAza is really really hurting our offense right now, along with Paulie and Dunn's inability to drive in RISP recently.

I get it. I just don't see what a day off or two will do. He had a few days off last week and is still ice cold.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:53 AM)
When the future of the franchise is Viciedo, Jones, Mitchell, it's ok to mortgage it.

You won't see me arguing about trading Mitchell. If he has value, then by all means, use him as trade bait. That K rate is just awful.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:51 PM)
If they went that direction, they would also keep Gavin Floyd as the fifth starter at $9.5 million for 2013.

Nobody knows exactly what we have with Quintana. He could just as easily end up Phil Humber 2012 version as a solid starter we can rely upon. Who knows?

I'd probably just dump Gavin...if I had the money to spend, I'd try and get Jake to stay for 2/$20, which he would most likely laugh at, but I'm not willing to offer him another huge contract after what we've gone through with him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
He's 4 for his last 36.

Not only him.. Konerko and Beckham, no one on our bench can be counted on to hit.. Our pitchers are starting to fall apart.. They need to make a big move to take advantage of where we are right now otherwise we will be out of it in early August.. Too many people around here have WAY too much faith in rookies and abnormal performances..

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
I get it. I just don't see what a day off or two will do. He had a few days off last week and is still ice cold.

We've faced a lot of lefties recently, and Cook is an extreme groundball pitcher.

I'd like to keep throwing him out there for now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)

So let me get this straight.

You want to trade for someone who we're not even sure has desire right now to pitch in a pennant race or in a city or media market like Chicago?

You're just going to force him to pitch for the White Sox?

Then you're going to not only trade away our future and give the guy $100-110 million?

Have you lost your mind?

When this whole thing blows up, are you going to blame KW? Please repeat after me...at this moment, I, Marty34, will never hold KW responsible for any Zack Greinke trade going completely awry and setting the franchise back for half a decade.

I, Marty34, realize that when there's nobody hitting homers for the White Sox in 2014-15-16, I will have myself to blame for the completely punchless offense.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:57 AM)
We've faced a lot of lefties recently, and Cook is an extreme groundball pitcher.

I'd like to keep throwing him out there for now.

3 more lefties in this series probably means ADA won't be breaking out of his slump anytime soon. Still wish the Sox could dump Hudson for a back-up outfielder than can hit LHP. I think Reed Johnson would be an incredible fit for this team.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
He just sat for several days last week (ASB).

I honestly think some people on this site have never watched baseball. Some guys are cold coming off the break. All players will have slumps throughout the season. We don't need to over-analyze every pitch and at-bat.

Outside of the injuries to the rotation, I think our biggest concern right now is Konerko. His slump is not ending and there is reason to think it's due to his hand. If that's the case, who knows when it will get better. The problem is that him batting third everyday and providing no production is really f***ing our offense up. I doubt Ventura will move him down in the order temporarily until he gets things straightened out. That's going to continue hurting us.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 02:59 AM)
What about Cliff Lee as a compromise to Grinke and Hamels? He's at $75M over the next 3 years.

No way, way too expensive and hasn't pitched nearly as well this season. I really don't see how the Sox add these huge contracts to their payroll the next few year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)

You want to trade for someone who we're not even sure has desire right now to pitch in a pennant race or in a city or media market like Chicago?

Then you're going to not only trade away our future and give the guy $100-110 million?

Have you lost your mind?

When this whole thing blows up, are you going to blame KW? Please repeat after me...at this moment, I, Marty34, will never hold KW responsible for any Zack Greinke trade going completely awry and setting the franchise back for half a decade.

I, Marty34, realize that when there's nobody hitting homers for the White Sox in 2014-15-16, I will have myself to blame for the completely punchless offense.

You will never know unless you find out, and I think ide rather take a shot at Greinke than do nothing and watch Dylan Axelrod do nothing for this team the rest of the way..

I dont think many fans are going to boo the franchise for trying to win another championship.. And 2014-2015-2016? You dont know who we will have or who comes out of nowhere for this team by then.. you cant always just think about the future, because in the present right now our 1st place lead is getting close to being history. Ill take winning now please.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
I'd probably just dump Gavin...if I had the money to spend, I'd try and get Jake to stay for 2/$20, which he would most likely laugh at, but I'm not willing to offer him another huge contract after what we've gone through with him.

That's really $24 million for 2 years, because you're giving him the buyout.

Are we sure we want to turn around and give Peavy that kind of money? I guess $12 million for Peavy (average, like AJ's deal, assuming they could backload the 2nd year of the contract), wouldn't be the WORST thing in the world, but it's not a huge bargain necessarily.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
3 more lefties in this series probably means ADA won't be breaking out of his slump anytime soon. Still wish the Sox could dump Hudson for a back-up outfielder than can hit LHP. I think Reed Johnson would be an incredible fit for this team.

I agree with completely. He'd be a perfect fit for us.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:50 PM)
Probably about as dumb as the people who think Viciedo is a lock to turn into a 35-40 HR hitter and Quintana is a sub 3 ERA pitcher..

Clearly, you're the one who doesn't watch much baseball.

Um, noone has said anyone is a lock for anything.

Look, if Hamels is the guy we go after, and it happens after he turns down $100M+ from the Phils, there's no way he's going to re-sign, when it's been rumored forever that he wants to return to SoCal. IF we trade DV, or anyone else that's contributing THIS year, it needs to be for a non-rental, or we need to have very strong indications that we can re-sign the acquisition. Meanwhile, even if the latter scenario plays out, the roster gets a lot more expensive, which will matter a lot if we don't win the WS.

And the WS, or even a division title, wouldn't be a lock if we got Koufax.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)

Have you lost your mind?

Are you sure Hamels has the desire to pitch in Chicago during a pennant race?